A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hip Craft Fair for Houston?!  (Read 7104 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thinkgeek
« on: October 31, 2004 03:02:39 PM »

I'm interested in organizing a craft fair, along the same lines as renegade, in Houston in Spring 2005 (before it gets too hot!).  I definitely can't do it alone & don't want to if there's little to no interest for one. 

Would anyone be interested in having a table at an event that would be held at a park?  I've been looking for places... it'll be on the north-ish side of town, but I promise not to make it all the way out in Cypress, even though that would mean less driving for me. : )

I'd like to figure out how to get a general idea of the interest in something like this so that I could start to determine location, fees, volunteers to help me organize, etc.

Any suggestions, volunteered ideas/time or anyting else would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and, hi. I'm Sarah & I read every last word on this site but have yet to post. I'm a little more vocal over at the glitter boards (but not much lately). I like to make things, I like people who make things and I'm tired of driving to Austin to be able to attend any sort of cool crafy event.  : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004 01:20:52 PM »

That would be super cool.  I would help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004 02:24:55 PM »

If it's planned early enough I'll come from Dallas to play!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
jacqui
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004 08:04:56 AM »

this is a great idea. i would definately go. maybe you could try to talk to some people in austin who may be interested in coming down to houston to sell their stuff. the drive isn't so bad. let me know if you set up any kind of site so we could stay posted. my crafting skill isn't quite as up to par as most of the ladies and gents on here or else i'd offer to set up a table. you can also try putting up an ad on houstonpress.com's classifed section. i think it's free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thinkgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004 04:26:45 PM »

Awesome!  Glad to see some interest!  Any ideas on where to begin?  I guess a name should be determined so that anything I post anywhere (about getting a booth, etc) will be connected by a name. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on a location?  I think it would be fun (& cheap!) to have it outside at a park on a not-so-hot day. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004 07:37:07 PM »

We could affiliate ourselves with Bazaar Bizarre.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004 07:48:03 PM by yardenxanthe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkgeek
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004 07:04:46 AM »

I was thinking that it would be good to be affiliated to some other group too... it would definitely help with getting the word out.  I'll look around & see how that sort of thing needs to be worked out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004 07:48:30 PM »

Oh, I linked to the wrong place.  IT's fixed now.  Another option is Renegade Craft Fair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chunkofbutter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004 03:33:20 PM »

This sounds great. Have been wondering if we would have something cool here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skirt
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005 02:04:53 PM »

i'm a transplanted houstonian currently living in london
but i will be home in houston in march and later in the summer
please let me know what dates you are aiming for, because if it falls during a time when i'm home, then i would LOVE to participate!
i've always thought that houston needed an alternative craft fair
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane blonde

handmade clothing & accessories!
Dorkabrain
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005 12:17:32 AM »

This sounds great, I'm in houston until May, if you were planning it for before then, I'd love to be a part of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkgeek
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005 11:28:06 AM »

Okay, so... I've been looking around & this is what I've come up with so far: 

It seems like somewhere between $30-70 is a good fee for a first time event (assuming enough vendors sign up)... should be just enough to cover all of the expenses of organizing it (location, advertising, etc)...

It's looking like it'll need to be several months away (too bad the summer is SO hot!)... I wish we could get everything worked out in time for May, but that doesn't seem possible... so late summer?

Location ideas?  Community center?  Park?  I live way out in Cypress now, but I don't think I would want to have it all the way out there (maybe in the 1960 area though... since it's busy...?).... any ideas for within the city?  There are TONS of parks/centers that I've found online, but I've never been to most of them & am wondering if there are a few that are generally more "popular" with the crowd we'd want to attract. 

Tables & chairs will have to be provided by the vendor.  I'll post a list of places to rent them on the website once more things are set...

the website!  There isn't one yet.... brainstorming names before I get one up... I'll post any updates here & would appreciate any help/suggestions anyone can provide.

- Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenteeyed

"So she dates the undertaker"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005 09:47:40 PM »

hey! i would definitely help and would love to attend! i'm thinking maybe in the Georege R. Brown convention center OR  somewhere in downtown. you'd get a lot of publicity there too.
just a thought... PLEASE get a link to the website b/c i'm really interested!

--s-- Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"summertime the taste of saint secretes perfume mist console the mind i take it in the lips of ink i kiss"

'love is a game i'd love to play with you'
skirt
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005 06:30:46 PM »

has anything come of this? i think i'm coming home to houston in mid to late june and will be staying for at least a few months and i would love love LOVE to participate. keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane blonde

handmade clothing & accessories!
jacqui
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005 02:12:27 AM »

I was wondering the same thing. Is there a website up? I would love to come to this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToraNac
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005 04:33:09 AM »

There are a lot of theaters here that would donate space, also Super Happy Fun Land is a great spot for crafts or a swap, they already have silk screen workshops on Sundays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacqui
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005 05:56:32 AM »

Super Happy Funland is a good idea. They host a lot of stuff like this. A few months back they did a zine/comic fest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToraNac
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005 10:50:51 PM »

Olivia and all the guys over there are into a big sewing circle/swap craft day, I only brought up the idea to them, but never wanted to promise anything until I felt we could supply the numbers of people willing to participate.
This site is excellent for the herding of craftsters! I didn't think there were that many crafty people in H-town til now!
Lets make it happen!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005 07:13:41 PM »

The idea for Super Happy Funland is good.

Maybe we should check w/ the ladies of the Houston Craft Mafia and see if any of them are down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ToraNac
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005 12:16:19 PM »

how do you find the houston craft mafia? hahaha---do I need to be born or married into it? Heheee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessaska
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005 01:03:04 PM »

Cant say that I would have much to hawk at such an event, as I love the things I make too much to sell. But I would be totally down to do some volunteer work. 

Seriously, PM me if this get rolling.  I live inside the loop close to the Montrose area - so the closer in it is the more interested I will be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005 11:03:54 AM »

http://houstoncraftmafia.com/

Links to the individuals on the home page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacqui
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005 02:43:37 PM »

Austin isn't that far from here, maybe some of those ladies would be willing to come down if this event recieves enough promotion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005 01:04:41 PM »

Anything happened with this?Huh?

I too nominate Super Happy Fun Land.
I'm pretty sure they had a craft swap sometime in April, but I can't remember.
They're pretty laid back about a lot of things.

I bet if you could get people to participate by making things, you could distribute flyers to all the little coffee shops like Brasil and Diedrich's and places like Sound Exchange.

I would be so willing to help out with this if it ever got started.

On a side note.. I really want to have my own Stitch n Bitch sort of group, but have lots of vodka instead of coffee.  Drunken knitting!
Anyone interested?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005 07:24:31 PM »

On a side note.. I really want to have my own Stitch n Bitch sort of group, but have lots of vodka instead of coffee.  Drunken knitting!
Anyone interested?

Hee hee, that's a funny idea.  Since there is already a thriving Houston SnB scene, maybe you could open it up to crafting... Drunken Crafting sounds wicked cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005 08:36:19 PM »

yeah, I know there's a thriving SnB scene here.
I just think it would be fun to get together with some of my friends and drink and try to knit.  I've never been to the central SnB and I don't know anyone, so that's partially why I thought of the idea.
ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessaska
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005 11:00:06 PM »

the central snb is off the chain! Sadly, I just started two new jobs and have had to miss the last month. But I should be coming back out next week. Everyone out there is really great. I always feel awkward and shy and think 'I should leave, I feel out of place' when I get there, but maybe 5 minutes later Im having a great time.

But, really. Lets not let this craft fair thing die....isnt there a HUGE quilting thing coming up? We could always surf the momentum from that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacqui
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2005 11:56:36 PM »

Where are the central SnB meetings usually held?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005 04:09:46 AM »

Where are the central SnB meetings usually held?

Check here:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stitchnbitch-houston/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacqui
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005 09:38:26 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessaska
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005 11:39:42 AM »

cafe express on west gray...thursdays in the evening...i think it was 7ish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006 08:02:51 AM »

Is anyone gonna set this up this summer? Cause I would love to join in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomCrafter

I like to Move It, Move It.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006 09:33:35 PM »

Is anyone gonna set this up this summer? Cause I would love to join in!

I would love to as well and could even help set up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006 04:42:10 PM »

That would so rock! I'm out in Friendswood, and have no one around here who does crafts except for my grandma... and she considers crafting as knitting and thats it. So yeah, it'd be awesome to meet others in the crafting game! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkgeek
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006 11:57:48 PM »

Wow. I had no idea this thread was back in action... Back when I originally wanted to do it (hi, I'm the person who started this thread), only one person msgd (yardenxanthe) saying they would help out & then she said she couldn't (and now she moved away, I think).... so it just never really went anywhere.

But I'm back now & would love (x10000) to do this.

I set up a temporary website for craft fair plans to be posted on my domain at: http://www.prettyinprint.net/craftfair.html

Once a name has been selected, I will get the domain and set up the official site (for anyone, not just planning info).

So, anyone interested in helping plan/work this thing? I certainly cannot do it by myself, but I would love to see it happen.

Email me at sarah at prettyinprint dot net to let me know you're interested in helping... I will send out a group email to whoever volunteers and we can start discussing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006 01:20:49 AM »

I'd LOVE to help, but I can't make any for sure promises yet. This summer we're moving to a rent house and I'm going to be appling at the local art college and searching for a job... but... o.x yeah... if details start coming underway I'll try to join up! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CosmicCranberry
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006 05:32:47 AM »

i could try
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomCrafter

I like to Move It, Move It.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006 08:05:11 AM »

i've never done anything like this before but I'm all in! I'd love to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006 08:48:05 AM »

I'll try too! Maybe I could get the day off or something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkgeek
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006 12:12:31 PM »

FYI: I started a new thread for planning ideas called "HOUSTON CRAFT FAIR PLANNING --

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=94690.msg895415#msg895415

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarastiches
[ms. sara stitches]

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006 11:10:16 AM »

id help!

e-mail me:   Plasticfashion@aol.com

<3sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

competition is nada.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
Fun and Affordable Summer Grilling Tips
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...