A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: spinning with paper  (Read 809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mightcouldpress
« on: May 01, 2007 06:18:43 PM »

I'm newish to craftster and also newish to spinning, but I know a lot of you on here are veterans and may be able to help me out.

I'd really like to make yarn from some japanese-style kozo paper that I made, and I was wondering if anyone has tried spinning with paper.  I've looked around online for tutorials, but I've only found the vaguest of information.  I'd appreciate it if anyone could direct me toward some good resources.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007 07:57:21 PM »

Hmm, I've never heard of this. Any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenny.bloodless
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007 11:11:06 PM »

http://www.craftzine.com/blog/archive/2007/05/maker_faire_interview_with_jam.html
This interview mentioned spinning with old newspaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday, somewhere anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life. - Pablo Neruda
subloke
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007 08:26:59 AM »

i've never tried or thought of this, but now?  this is what i'll be thinking about all day...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
mightcouldpress
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007 03:29:45 PM »

I'd never heard of this technique either, but then I saw this: http://aimeelee.net
What I've found in the way of instructions thus far is that you cut the paper into super-thin strips and dampen it to spin.  Since I'm so new to spinning, this sounds good to me, but I have no idea whether paper would somehow need to be treated differently during the actual process, etc. I guess really all you'd be doing is plying the strips together? 
I may just have to give it a go and see what happens ...  I'll make my attempt in the next few weeks, and if it's a success, I'll share the results.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 03:35:51 PM by mightcouldpress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007 05:24:17 PM »

I'd never heard of this technique either, but then I saw this: http://aimeelee.net
What I've found in the way of instructions thus far is that you cut the paper into super-thin strips and dampen it to spin.  Since I'm so new to spinning, this sounds good to me, but I have no idea whether paper would somehow need to be treated differently during the actual process, etc. I guess really all you'd be doing is plying the strips together? 
I may just have to give it a go and see what happens ...  I'll make my attempt in the next few weeks, and if it's a success, I'll share the results.

just guessing, but i'd assume joins would be done very differently...depending on whether or not wetting the paper binds it together enough that once it dries, it wouldn't fall apart.
you might look into pastes or some other bonding material.
[i'd suggest a few test drives with similar paper before using what you want to spin...it would be terrible to try spinning some lovely stuff and end up ruining it]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007 06:14:16 PM »

I'd avoid paste or other binding agents. I can totally see that becoming a giant, sticky, solid mess after spinning no matter how careful you were.

You could also start by trying to add it into a wool yarn, just catching pieces of the paper in with the wool as you went.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
raynbow
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007 06:30:36 AM »

I looked at that link, and I don't think she's really putting very much twist in it.  I think she's basically just rolling in between her hand and her leg to put a little bit of twist in.  Think like, playing with your straw wrapper at a restaurant and twisting it between your fingers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007 01:05:14 AM »

I'm with thebon. I was thinking of corespinning it somehow, though. let us know if you try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Right Way To Tease Your Hair: Hair Tips
Party Hair for Every Length
Short Hair Trend Taking Over Hollywood
How To Clip In Hair Extensions And Curl For Big Volume
Exclusive: How to Add Instant Bangs With Clip-In Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...