A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pictures added!- leader issues  (Read 1234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 04, 2007 03:31:47 PM »

I went downtown and splurged on a bottom whorl drop spindle and a bunch of different colored rovings....I've been going through the FAQ sites about how to begin and whatnot....but I am having the hardest time getting it started. lol I think there's something about the leader and connecting the wool to it that I'm just not getting.
  I start spinning the spindle clockwise...to connect the wool and the yarn leader...it twists, but immediantly gets twisted so tight it wants to go clockwise. Or it spins itself to where the wool comes off the leader and then the wool unwinds.
  Anyone have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 05:05:36 PM by mistress_batty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 03:44:53 PM »

Are you managing to fan out the end of the leader?  If you can't, i suggest trying a different yarn for the leader - Lion Brand Homespun works fantastically well for this.  If you can fan out the fibers at the end of the leader and on the rolag and kind of fix mix the two together, it works better.  And if the leader gets way overspun, just keep going, like to arms-length, and then wind it on to the bobbin - the rest of the leader will take up the extra spin when you unwind the leader from the tip of the spindle.  At least, that's how it works for me!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 04:40:26 PM by RonnieCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

0100011101000101010 0010101001011

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
bixby2
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007 04:07:12 PM »

I don't have a spindle, but I can tell you what I do with my wheel.  I have a loop of acrylic yarn on the bobbin.  I predraft the fiber and then I open the loop and stick about 2 inches or so of the fiber through the loop.  I fold the fiber back on its self and begin to spin.  It holds nice and tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007 04:43:51 PM »

i don't really open my leader yarn, but I do spin the roving against it quite a ways back on the leader.  Like maybe 8 inches or so, depending on what kind of roving i have.  short staples seem to grab on easier if i start way way back on the leader.  stuff like mohair blends will grab fast and easy, and i don't need to go back as far.  its very frustrating on a spindle to keep losing your leader.  makes me grumpy just thinking about it!  perservere and keep at it.  experiment with different yarns and see what happens.

p.s.  it definitely helps to find a really "grabby" leader, but i have also seen someone hook their roving onto the spindle hook, twist it out a bit (kind of like park and draft) and use that as a leader.  it might be a nice way to practice drafting too. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007 04:55:59 PM »

Okay....so I dug out some homespun and on accident the wool and yarn got stuck so I just ran with it. lol But....I just want to make sure what I'm doing is...actually making yarn. lol In some places its twisting on itself and whatnot. I don't know...lol

Does this look...right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007 05:08:52 PM »

That's better than the beginning of my first try, so you're doing great!  I have no idea what to do about those really twisty bits, I have them too!  Maybe a more experienced spinner can shed some light on how to fix that problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

0100011101000101010 0010101001011

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
RubyPurl
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007 05:15:59 PM »

It looks great.  I have twists in my yarn too, I believe it is pretty normal.  If you are concerned about it try spinning a little looser.  When you knit it up, the twists won't be a problem, at least they are not for me.

Try this website too, they have videos.  I am a very visual person and these videos helped me out the first time I started using a drop spindle.

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.shtml

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 05:19:14 PM by RubyPurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007 05:28:48 PM »

It looks great.  I have twists in my yarn too, I believe it is pretty normal.  If you are concerned about it try spinning a little looser.  When you knit it up, the twists won't be a problem, at least they are not for me.

Try this website too, they have videos.  I am a very visual person and these videos helped me out the first time I started using a drop spindle.

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.shtml

lol that's what I've been using. Her 'how to attach more fiber' is my fav.....because I bought a bunch of colors and am trying to join them. It looks nice....I'm just not sure how it will be in the end. lol I don't want it to all fall apart when I try to use the yarn later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raynbow
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007 04:52:33 AM »

that's yarn! congratulations!

p.s. I do the making a loop on my leader and pulling the yarn through it thing as well, it's the way i've had the most success with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007 02:01:13 AM »

that actually looks great! if a little thick. but my first try was uber bulky too! i knit an awesome hat with it, though! =0)
Those twistie bits wouldn't look so twisty if you held some tension as you wind onto the spindle (btw- I learned on the same ashford!)
So when you're spinning on a spindle, stop when you're at an arm's length then wind it on. you don't want to keep too much tensino on it, just enough so that it doens't wind back on itsef as you get it around the shaft. Try to wind it on in the shape of a cone. more at the whorl and less at the bottom. That way it won't wobble as much when you spin it as you keep building up more fiber. Other than that, can't help with the leader thing. I'm the girl who never used one till I got my wheel. Just hook the roving pull out a little and twist and go! too impatient for things like leaders.
need. yarn. now.
=0)
keep at it! show us more pix!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007 07:52:28 AM »

that actually looks great! if a little thick. but my first try was uber bulky too! i knit an awesome hat with it, though! =0)
Those twistie bits wouldn't look so twisty if you held some tension as you wind onto the spindle (btw- I learned on the same ashford!)
So when you're spinning on a spindle, stop when you're at an arm's length then wind it on. you don't want to keep too much tensino on it, just enough so that it doens't wind back on itsef as you get it around the shaft. Try to wind it on in the shape of a cone. more at the whorl and less at the bottom. That way it won't wobble as much when you spin it as you keep building up more fiber. Other than that, can't help with the leader thing. I'm the girl who never used one till I got my wheel. Just hook the roving pull out a little and twist and go! too impatient for things like leaders.
need. yarn. now.
=0)
keep at it! show us more pix!

hehe that was over a month ago.....lol check the last few fiber fridays...I've been posting there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
How to Make a Long Stitch
How to Stitch an Eyelet
How to Make Hand Embroidery Patterns
How to Make a Blackwork Cross Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...