A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Long Wrap Skirt  (Read 1434 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruis2002
« on: April 04, 2007 01:40:42 PM »

I need a free or commercial pattern for a long, corduroy wrap skirt, like the one pictured here:

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=114

It looks so comfortable! and I have so much cord fabric at home, I really should just make one (if only I can find a pattern...)

thanks,

Vicki
THIS ROCKS   Logged
S is for Summer

Im a really slow knitter without magic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 06:17:10 PM »

I'm not sure, but I hope someone posts a suggestion as I've admired that skirt quite a long time, and would love to try making something similar.  I know I've seen wrap skirt pattern drafting instructions that are very simple (when I get home I'll nab some for an example), but I'm not sure whether the length would affect the way it hangs because of the weight and stuff or something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SnowfallDesigns
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007 04:43:10 PM »

OOhh, I like that - I have a similar skirt - rtw though, I didn't make it.  Though it was one that I bought, said "I can make that!" and intended on using it to draft one of my own, but I never got around to it...off to search the net!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onebyone
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007 04:48:08 PM »

I just used an Indygo Junction Pattern for a skirt almost identical to this one:

http://www.indygojunctioninc.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=126_132&products_id=621

The pattern comes in two lengths - I opted for the shorter length for my fabric:

http://onebyone.typepad.com/one_by_one/2007/04/its_a_wrap.html

The longer option does not look like it is quite long enough compared to the one Tznius, but the pattern is just one piece and it could be easily lengthened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
S is for Summer

Im a really slow knitter without magic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007 07:40:21 PM »

I had a much longer version of this typed out, but my computer ate it.  So yay, the short version!

I looked around on a bunch of pattern sites, and the pattern that seemed to be the most easily adapted to the Tznius.com skirt (I couldn't find any that were exactly the same) is actually a free one.  Yay, free! 

Fitz Patterns 2211 DANA A-line wrap skirt

It would need lengthening (but even the longest wrap-skirt pattern I found would have needed lengthening to match the Tznius skirt, and that one looked to be the wrong shape) and I think, due to corduroy being a little heavyish and the length of the skirt adding to the weight, that I would just extend the waistband to be the tie, as it looks like they've done on the Tznius skirt.

But this looks like the best bet to my careful but not-so-trained eye.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onemoreseam
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007 07:47:09 PM »

The book Sew What! Skirts has directions for drafting wrap skirt patterns, including half circle, which is what this looks like to me.  My public library had a copy, but if yours doesn't, it has directions for variations on Aline, circle, wrap, straight, pleated, yoked, and tiered skirts so IMO it would be worth the cost to buy it.

You basically make a half circle skirt (there is a tutorial here) but add 14" or so on one edge for overlap.  Then you cut the long ties/waistband.  I think she made hers 5" wide the full width of fabric (45") so when you folded them over to finishe them, they were 2.5" (minus seam allowance) tall.  You just finish two edges of the skirt, attach waist/ties by centering on top edge, and hem bottom.  You can make a button hole on side to thread the one tie through to make waist lie flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007 05:39:26 AM »

You could also look into vintage 70's patterns. Wrap skirts in lengths from mini to maxi were very chic back then. I have the majority of my mom's patterns from the 50's-70's, and I'm sure there must be a wrap skirt in there somewhere!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruis2002
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007 07:17:06 AM »

Thanks, everyone! I downloaded the Fitz pattern, though I am not sure enough of my skills to lengthen a pattern (are there instructions on how to lengthen skirt patterns on the internet somewhere? Maybe on the sewing with nancy site?)

I also purchased this pattern on ebay. It looks like the right length, but maybe a little fuller than the tznius skirt, though if made up in a lightweight corduroy it might look about the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190081665788&rd=1&rd=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Panini Cartoon
How to Draw Lelouch from the Code Geass
How to Draw Mater from the Movie Cars
How to Draw Michael Jackson
How to Draw Pon And Zi
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...