A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,677
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap and cool window dressing???  (Read 1146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tarnished
« on: April 04, 2007 12:15:43 PM »

I have a new flat after being homeless for a while after a bad spell...I saw the place on the 30th March, and had to move in on the 2nd April - this was with no money, no furniture, no appliances, no way of moving things and no credit.

Despite all of that I've somehow managed to land on my feet!!

Decorating emergency number 1 is the fact I have no curtains or even curtain rails, so I'm looking for creative ideas for covering my windows anyone any creative [and CHEAP!] ideas? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigyellowtaxi
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 05:10:54 PM »

I have used bedsheets as curtains in the past, and stenciled a design along the bottom.  Not perfect, but funcitonal and kinda pretty.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbanizzlemomma

Beware the smiling Zillameister

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007 06:41:12 PM »

I used the comics section of the newspaper once.  I had to double layer it, but it worked until I had enough money to get a curtain rod.  My hubby used to fly (Air Force) and when he wanted to sleep during the day, we taped aluminum foil over the windows.  It looked really cool considering my curtains were a dark gray sheer.

As a kid, my mom would put a big beach towel over the windows when she was on one of her cleaning binges.....nothing was safe from Momzilla  Tongue

Just thought of another idea....try your local dollar store to see if they have the bamboo beach mats.  I'm in FL, so it seems like we have them year round here.  Someone here used them to cover panelling on the wall, and always thought it'd work awesomely on windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Murphismyhomedog

Make Crafts Not War

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007 05:26:51 PM »

yeah i was going to say sheets.... thats what i have up now..

but i once had and bunch of old shirts and cut the graphics off and sewed them together in a quilt looking thing... the hung those up

if you dont have t shirts you could use anything really... i think i threw a couple dish towles into my quilt thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snips and snails
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007 06:29:22 PM »

I wish i had pictures of my old apartment window to show you!!! grrrrrr!
Okay well I'll describe as best I can...
I used:
1 tension rod (like 6-7 bucks at walmart)
Pretty napkins
and thats it!

You fit the tension rod into the window, leaving a little space at the top to push the napkins through.
I had 2 different colored napkins for this, by the way.
I layed down the first set of same-colored napkins like a diamond shape over a hotdog. So that when they layed with gravity they came to a point. like an upsidedown triangle. So after that, I layed a striped set of napkins over top the others, and in between them. (is this getting confusing? its really not!)

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/li_curtains_valances/article/0,2041,DIY_14043_2268762,00.html

Kinda like that top one, but if you stagger the napkins it looks a little more busy and full.
Hope this helps!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007 07:24:59 AM »

Wet the glass and lay paper on it when the water dries the paper will be stuck just enough to stay put, this is also a good trick to mask the glass when painting the window frame.  This should work until you can get some curtain rails in.  Cheesy ...I have been dying to use the bunny emoticons (this comment will make no sense after easter)

I think this will work for light weight plastic like bin liners as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007 08:58:27 AM »

I'm making a swag valance for my living room out of plain hooks from the hardware store and 2/$1 dog chains from a discount store.  Just running some cheap fabric through those.  (our living room is what I've been calling post-college post-punk, my roommate's in a band and we're both DJs so lots of music memorabilia in there)

For actual window-covering though, I think you can't beat a plain dull rod from any cheap store (here I've seen them for under $2) and a sheet from a thirft shop.  Just snip the ends and the hemmed top becomes the pocket if you're not much of a sewer.

An ex of mine bought bamboo rugs (they were dirt cheap, some theme tiki decor line), and just put a couple nails at the top of the frame, and slipped the mats over the nails. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007 09:48:04 AM »

One time I used 2 cup hooks (screw one on each side of the window) and then tied some string/elastic onto the hooks across the window. Then used some clips to attach beach towels (or sheets or table cloth or solid colour shower curtain).

I found all the supplies at thrift shops/dollar stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
chopsticks7
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 05:14:24 PM »

1.  Go out and find some tree branches a little longer than your window, and the width of a curtain rod=free.
2.  Go to your local hardware store, and get how ever many bracket sets you need=about $2 each.  You will also need a screw driver=about $3
3.  Hang the branches like you would a curtain rod ( follow the instructions on securing the brackets, and just set the branch into place)
4.  You can either go to a consignment shop and find some used curtains, or you can just get some fabric and make some by folding a portain of the fabric over and sowing, or stapling it together.  Either way it should be fairly cheap.  Also, check out the clearance at wal-mart or somewhere like that.  I got my tab top curtains there for $5 a panel.  Keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 1
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 4
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...