A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wilton Cake decorating class  (Read 6675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WendyWears

Hey, I can use that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007 04:09:43 PM »

sparkly: are the flowers going to be prepared in advance from icing, allowed to dry, then placed on the cake in their hardened form? Or are the flowers going to be prepared and placed immediately on the cake (still 'wet')?

If the flowers are going to be hardened, icing type may not matter since they'll be too hard to eat anyway.

If they'll be soft enough to eat, vanilla buttercream icing is great. If you don't mix it yourself, some bakeries will sell you their aerated buttercream.

That's what I have to offer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's always something new at http://www.wendywears.com -
limited edition handmade clothing and accessories
from vintage and recycled textiles
Craftinator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007 04:33:16 AM »

Sparkly,

I agree with what WendyWears said. (By the way, Wendy, cool cakes!!  Do you actually have an airbrush at home or do you have a bakery??  I want one  **pout**)

Here's a suggestion - because you guys are doing the cake yourself, it would take alot of pressure off of you to be able to have the flowers done ahead of time.  You could use royal icing which lasts for months, you could add flavors to it using the candy flavors that would be used to flavor rock candy or chocolate - but whatever amount of flavoring you use has to be taken out of the measurement of water in the recipe.

You could match the flavor of the flowers to the color.  If the flowers are red, you could use raspberry, the leaves could be mint, etc.

Royal icing does get pretty hard but it's kind of like hard candy that will eventually melt in your mouth.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to experiment with adding flavors to gum paste/fondant and see what happens.  That stuff is tons of fun to work with but the taste............ugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WendyWears

Hey, I can use that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007 10:32:24 AM »

Wendy, cool cakes!!  Do you actually have an airbrush at home or do you have a bakery??  I want one  **pout**

Thanks Craftinator and Sparkly for the compliments!

Craftinator: I only use an airbrush (or decorate cakes in general) where I work - a grocery store bakery. Again, I'm thinking supplies at home would be cool...

Sparkly: I wasn't sure if hardened royal flowers were worth eating. I'd trust whatever Craftinator says Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's always something new at http://www.wendywears.com -
limited edition handmade clothing and accessories
from vintage and recycled textiles
lil_abi
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007 10:24:10 AM »

I took a Wilton cake decorating class, level I, at JoAnn when I was in 8th grade.  My mother is still dependent on me to decorate her cakes. What I mostly took from the class all those years ago, are how to frost so it looks smooth, how to use a cone-shaped frosting thing (jeez-- what's it called?), and how to use the fun tips you can buy.  I don't do anything fancy, and my roses have gone by the wayside, but I did work at Ben & Jerry's in college, and my skills really paid off!  I LOVED decorating their ice cream cakes!  My handwriting on cakes is so much nicer than my regular handwriting!   I hope you enjoy your classes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Color Casts
How to Create Rhythm Within Imagery
How to Create Abstraction within an Image
How to Create Depth of Field in a Landscape
How to Create Parallax Distortion
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...