A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: washington dc  (Read 5940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snoopendous
« on: September 01, 2003 04:33:18 PM »

I would love to hear from anyone in the wash dc area who regularly go to this site and know about cool place to go in dc
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tami
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003 08:41:11 AM »

ok - i just moved to dc also, and though i still dont have much dc crafty info, i just wanted to say hi!

by the way, there is a michael's in arlington behind the target on route 50.  just take 14th street towards va and get off at the crystal city exit, which will be on the left.  

i'd love to hear what you find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh.  its just me.
snoopendous
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003 06:59:25 AM »

where is the michael's??  I only know of the target on route 1 in alexandria down by that big movie theater.  

I have searched around for interesting classes, etc.. There are art classes at the Torpedo Factory in Old Town, and some other arty classes offered by the Smithstonian's campus on the mall.... They offer a beading class.  Other beading things sold at Beadazzled in Dupont circle.  I also like the big art stor on M street in Georgetown. I bouthg some wood frames there to paint.  I also like the hardware store on 14th & P (Logan Hardware).  I live near dupont and dont have a car, so I try to go places to which I can either walk or metro.  The Container store in Arlington near Clarendon has some things I think could be used to make cool stuff with as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tami
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003 11:47:57 AM »

oops i was wrong about where the michaels is, but now i know where it really is!  i suppose its hard to get to if you dont have a car, but if you have a chance it is in falls church.  what you have to do is take m street all the way through georgetown and then make a left onto the key bridge.  take that road into virginia and then you will see signs for 50 west - take 50 west.  go about 5-7 miles (im not too good with distances, so i hope that is right!) and then you will need to make a left onto patrick henry boulevard.  if you make a quick right after that turn you will be in a parking lot for g street fabrics and home depot.  across the street you will see michaels and joannas fabrics.  i havent been to g street fabrics yet, but i hear its great!  

by the way, logan hardware is the best!  i live right around the corner from that place and they are so helpful there.  i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh.  its just me.
bluedotcreations
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003 01:07:57 PM »

Another craft store in the area is AC Moore, which is at the intersection of Columbia Pike and Rte. 7 (it actually faces Rte. 7). It's not Metro accessible though. From the Michaels mentioned above, make a left on Rte. 7 and AC Moore will be on your left--I don't remember how many traffic lights you go through.

In the city, you can try Plaza Art, on 20th Street between Eye and K Streets. If you sign up for their savings card you get a discount on your purchases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003 04:36:53 PM »

I was just at the Michaels in 7 Corners today because I wanted to purchase some yarn and a pom pom maker.  I was disappointed though as I could not find any of those bracelet forms there.  Michaels had some blank forms for earrings but I was hoping to make a marble bracelet.  Do any of you know where I can find those forms in the area??  thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobijack
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003 08:54:57 AM »

Candy Hardware
1210 18th Street, NW
(between M and N Streets, close to Dupont Circle)
M - F: 8:30 - 6:30
Sat: 10 - 5
(202) 659-5650
Fax (202) 862-3981
1-800-453-6172

To those living in/visiting the DC Metro area:

This is a great old-fashioned hardware store that is packed to the rafters. You name it, you'll find it.  Smiley

Cheers,
hobijack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003 03:22:54 PM »

For people in Washington DC interested in making the record purses and record bowls, I went to the CD Exchange today in Tenleytown (on Wissonsin right off of the Tenley metro) and they had records for under $1.00 -- in fact, they had some for even .10 cents!!.  They didn't have the best selection, but to make a record bowl for ten cents -- hey that can't be beat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003 07:39:17 PM »

I just wanted to let the DC area people know that I just bought some Armour Etch glass etching cream at "The Art Store" in Georgetown.  I was really excited to find it so that I can begin making some quick x-mas presents
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneye

"Dream big and dare to fail."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003 10:14:23 AM »

On a thursday or friday, check out the Washington Post's Classified section for Estate Sales (the best ones are usually by a company called Four Sales). I usually pick up some GREAT stuff...especially in Arlington.

Also there's a favorite thrift store that my mom and I have...it's called Sister's Thirft and Consigment and it's in Falls Church (can't remember exactly where, but I'm sure the yellow pages has info...). They always have a range of very usable items!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.3
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.2
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.1
Photoshop - Creating Star Wars Crawl P.1
Photoshop - Turning a Photo into a Cartoon P.2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...