A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: where to buy chipboard  (Read 668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

valsped

Can you guess my real name from this?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 04, 2007 06:56:37 AM »

I want to make more journals (yes I'm addicted!!), but have NO idea where to get chipboard or something to use for covers! Ihave been using cardboard from cereal boxes, but I think it't too flimsy.
Is there a reason I can't/shouldn't use rubber cement for construction? I had issues with my glue making the papers wrinkle and warp, and thought rubber cement may be the answer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am addicted swaps, including personal swaps!
papermuse
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 06:20:01 PM »

You can usually buy chipboard at art supply stores. It's also called Davey board, if that helps.

Check out Talas - they have lots of bookbinding materials:
www.talasonline.com

As for the problem with the glue, the reason it creates wrinkles in your paper is because of its high water content. Try using glues with less water - PVA glue is made specifically for bookbinding purposes, although it dries very quickly so you have to work fast. Lately I've been experimenting with Aleene's Original Tacky Glue - it's thick so there's a low water content, it sticks wonderfully, although it's a bit harder to work with because it's so thick and tacky. But the best part of it is the price (about 1/3 the price of PVA glue). Experiment with different white glues to see which work best for you. Stay away from rubber cement because it will yellow and deteriorate quickly due to its high acid content.

Wrinkled papers and air bubbles are a normal part of bookbinding - try smoothing out your paper by rubbing a bone folder (or popsicle stick) once you've glued it to the chipboard. That should help take out the wrinkles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SMO0701
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007 08:54:05 PM »

I buy my chipboard at local craft stores.. Michaels and ACMoore usually.  If you have either of those stores where you are ask someone who works there where it is.  I had to ask because I couldn't find it either, but sure enough, they have it!  good luck finding it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patti M

Formerly known as pjmclnj!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007 01:01:43 PM »

E-bay is a good site for chipboard also- in the crafts section of the home page. Another way to get the "bubbles" out is to roll a brayer over the glued pages/covers, using a little pressure. The wide , even surface works great for removing air pockets. Aleene's is my glue of choice and I use a disposable credit card (from the junk mail we all get!) to apply it. Makes a nice even, thin coat so it' s not too messy and dries pretty quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Favorites-http://www.etsy.com/people/pjmclnj/favorites?ref=si_fav
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pjmclnj
valsped

Can you guess my real name from this?

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007 05:09:09 PM »

Thanks so much for all the ideas! I also found that I can glue 2 layers of cereal box cardboard together for each cover and that works fairly well, (and it's uber cheap!) My fam eats at least 2 boxes a week, so I can make 1 free book a week! Smiley Better get other people to save boxes for me! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am addicted swaps, including personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Tricks For Curling Your Lashes
Birchbox Shows You How to Avoid Sunburn
Miranda Mendoza: Copy the Cover Challenge
Megan Moore: Copy the Cover Challenge
Alyssa Wallace: Copy the Cover Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...