A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,714
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Eyelash Yarn  (Read 1231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kayray
« on: January 14, 2004 12:04:30 PM »

Hi all,

I'm an experienced knitter working with eyelash yarn for the first time and I'm having some trouble.  I'm perplexed! Hope someone can help me. :)

I'm inventing some "Hobbit Feet" socks for my son.  My plan is to make regular socks down past the heel, then knit back-and-forth on the top-foot stitches while holding a strand of eyelash yarn in with the wool, for Hobbit Foot Fur.  Then I'll knit the bottom-foot stitches, joining them with the top-foot side stitches as I go, then unite everything and make the toe.

Ok so everything went well until I started using that eyelash yarn!  In stockinette, the "hairy" part of the fabric ends up in back, on the purl side -- INSIDE the sock!  Ripped it back, tried again conciously trying to get the "hairs" onto the outside of the sock.  No dice.  I can't find any advice anywhere about how to work with eyelash yarn.  I guess I could knit the foot in reverse stockingette... but maybe one of you crafty people has some advice for me.  What's the trick? :)

TIA,
Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004 01:22:48 PM »

Okay, I've got two ideas or suggestions.  

When I used eyelash yarn, it was in garter stitch, in a pretty open guage.
Perhaps you could use garter stitch for that section?

Or, try using a light brush, like maybe a toothbrush, and running that over the outside of the sock, where the eyelash/hobbit hair should be sticking out.  

Let us know if either of these work - hobbit socks are a fun idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004 12:16:30 PM »

Hi Kara,

I think the revese stocking-stitch idea is a good one.  You already know that it will work. Smiley  

Are you going to join the bottom stitches to the top by doing a K2tog at the end of each row? It occurs to me that you might want to do a slip stitch edge on the "fur" section to compensate for the gauge difference between the that part and the plain yarn part.

Mimi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004 10:22:59 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!  I found that, to keep the gauge right, I had to invent a sort of alternating-yarn moss stitch (or something) and carry the eyelash yarn across the FRONT of the fabric at all times.  Nice and furry.  I'm working on the toes now, glove-style -- never done glove fingers before so I'm experimenting again...  And yeah, I planned the chained edges on the foot-top to make it easy to pick up those side stiches and it was a breeze :)  I'll post a pic when they're done!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
8 Top Back-to-School Fashion Looks
Dress Your Baby Like Prince George
Fashion Fit for a Royal Baby
Children Play in Style at Kids Fashion Week
Christina Applegate and FabKids Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...