A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric craft stores in or near Misawa Japan?  (Read 4787 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TeraTFox
« on: April 03, 2007 03:18:26 AM »

Hello, this is my first post, I love to sew. But I can't find craft shops here in Japan, and that makes me very sad. Cry I have been living here for about 9 months. Does anyone know of any fabric shops around Misawa Japan? The only one I have found is at the mall, which is expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for black long pile faux fur, can swap japanese items, fabrics, or handmade purses, clothes...pm me and let me know
iggieb3t
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007 06:31:49 PM »

Hi there !

I too live in Misawa - I used to be a volunteer tour guide for the newcomers.

The one and only multi -craft shop in Misawa that I know closed last year. But if you are only looking for fabric - there is a fabric store on White (or green) Pole road (sorry I don't know the name - but they usually have a wagon full of cut Japanese fabric outside the store) - walking from MAB, go down the street and it should be on your left - it is more than half the entire distance of the entire White pole road. On the way you will also pass another craft store (Olive) on your right side - they sell  mostly Japanese craft supplies - synthetic flowers, some beads, buttons...

There are a lot of fabric shops in the next city - Hachinohe. You need to go to downtown Hachinohe (if you've taken the free bus tour when you first arrived - you should be familiar with it).
Downtown Hachinohe:
1. Via Nova Dept Store - on the 2nd floor - take the escalator at the back near the ATM machines
2. Miharuya Dept Store - 4th floor
3. small shops in the small streets behind the main street.

At the Lapia Mall - it is on the 3rd floor
At the Pia Do Mall - 1st floor
Across Pia Do Mall - on your left side if you are driving from Lapia Mall - is a large craft store named "TOKAI" (it is a small building across Pia Do Mall).

If you are interested in recycled fabrics, fabric scraps, old kimonos - you can try the flea markets - at Hachinohe malls or at the Fish market (there was one in the Shimoda mall last week-end).

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007 11:28:18 PM by iggieb3t » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeraTFox
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007 05:44:39 PM »

Hi, how long have you been in Misawa?
 Yes, I have been in the one fabric shop on white pole road, but I didn't see olive. It might have been that I wasn't paying much attention then. We didn't get to take the Hachinohe tour after we got here , but we just went there Monday. Once again I missed the craft stores I must be blind. Roll Eyes I will have to make a trip back there soon to check them out. (Writes down all locations of shops) Grin
 I was at the Shimoda mall when they were having the big sale last week and bought some things. That is where I have been buying pretty much everything.  Cheesy
  Thank you so much! It is a huge help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for black long pile faux fur, can swap japanese items, fabrics, or handmade purses, clothes...pm me and let me know
iggieb3t
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007 06:32:39 PM »

Hello again !

I've been in Misawa since 1998 (I am not in anyway connected to MAB - I just used to volunteer back in 2000 to 2002). I  now work full time so I haven't been to MAB for a looooong time.

If you have time - you can give FSC relo office a call and ask if you can still join one of the Friday tours to Hachinohe (I think it is still OK)... Usually there are some empty seats on the bus (unless it is PCS season). The Japanese tour guides at Hachinohe can help you find the shops (or at least point it out to you) if you ask them. Tours are on every friday except during the Japanese holidays (golden week, o-bon & new year).

"Olive" is at white pole road on your right side - walking from MAB - from the outside it is difficult to see that they sell craft supplies since their front window display is usually dried flowers and sundries (lamps, totes, etc...)

Another option is to attend/ join the quilting hobby group at MAB - I took them around the fabric shops once - so I suppose they would go out on shopping expeditions every now and then for fabric.

Let me know if you need more info...

Have fun ! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeraTFox
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007 03:17:27 AM »

Hello,
Well since we have already been to Hachinohe, I dont think finding things would be much of a problem now. And my husband works nights so we usually sleep during the day, so the tour would kind of make him unhappy  Cheesy. I will ask some of the Japanese women around and see if they know of any other places to.
 I think I remember seeing olive but I thought they were just like a regular shop not craft things, will have to check that one out.
 If you could give me basic directions to Via Nova and Miharuya dept stores that would be great. Are they around the same place as the Lapia and Pia Do malls?
 Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iggieb3t
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007 07:22:03 PM »

Oh - I see...
Well Via Nova & Miharuya are in downtown Hachinohe - close to where the Hon-hanchinohe train station is (not the bullet train station). It is about 2 blocks away from the Hachinohe city hall. It is about 10 minutes drive in the opposite direction from either Lapia or Pia Do.

Parking is not free  - but Miharuya & Via Nova have their own parking lots behind their building and on the side (if you spend 1000 yen - you get 3 hrs free parking at Miharuya; am not sure about Via Nova). The street is a one-way street so you have to come from the right direction otherwise it will mean a long detour.

I am not sure how to give you the directions without a map on hand  Embarrassed Sad- sorry - and you'll have to ask someone else, preferably a Japanese. BTW - if it helps - it is also the same street where they do the Hachinohe Shrine Festival parade in summer.

Olive is basically a Japanese craft store (no fabrics though) and then some - you have to go to the back of the shop.

Anyway - Good luck. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007 07:28:16 PM by iggieb3t » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeraTFox
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007 01:18:26 AM »

I think I know where they have the Hachinohe Shrine festival at. I'm sure I will be able to find it now, I will ask around.  Wink

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Azirel
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007 12:22:21 AM »

You said it is just outside MAB...is that from the main gate? I am new to Misawa (we just moved here in Febuary) and my sewing machine is calling to me. I really want to make some clothes (cause while I love what they have at the mall until I lose a few inches I won't be wearing it) and can't exactly afford to buy fabric via the web cause the postage would kill any deals I would find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iggieb3t
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007 07:22:44 PM »

You said it is just outside MAB...is that from the main gate? I am new to Misawa (we just moved here in Febuary) and my sewing machine is calling to me. I really want to make some clothes (cause while I love what they have at the mall until I lose a few inches I won't be wearing it) and can't exactly afford to buy fabric via the web cause the postage would kill any deals I would find.

Check post # 2 - and yes, from the main gate - go down white/ green pole road - opposite the direction of the traffic towards Max value... 
Other shops - as mentioned previously are in the next city - Hachinohe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Azirel
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007 08:17:36 PM »

Thanks! hopefully I won't get lost or go the wrong way trying to find it. Is it far down that road or is it near the end by the Main gate? sry for so many questions but I am trying to see if it would be easier to walk or drive since I know parking on that street is pretty limited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crock Pot Roast
Waffle House Waffles Recipe
How to make Mushroom Sliders
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
How to Make Baked Beans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...