A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for sewing while tending kids?  (Read 3229 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007 09:46:26 PM »

rozekitten, those are some very good ideas.  I think I need to be a bit more organized so I can set up some project for my monkey, and actually keep special toys that come out only when I'm sewing (I always take them out the first time and then they stay out  Tongue)  The problem I have now is that I don't seem to have the time to set up anything in advance, b/c if I have an extra minute I glue myself to the machine.  Which also is why my sewing space is so scary messy. 

The snack is a great idea - I've really got to get my kid working for herself instead of doing everything for her!  Whatta sucka I've been!

btw, mines 09/04
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahtar
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007 10:29:54 PM »

Mine just turned 3 (4/2004). And he's a boy, and very boy.

here's our tips.

1) We have crafty activities in my workroom that we only do when we're down there. Watercolor (he was only allowed to use paint with my supervision until I was sure he knew to use it on paper only, but we use only watercolor when I'm working because it comes out of pretty much everything), homemade clay, scissors and scrap paper. I usually get him started, we spend 10-20 minutes together, then I get to work.

2) We also have non crafty activities that are only in the workroom. Some educational toys, some just fun toys.

3) I have a small cabinet of drawers where I keep thread, scissors, notions, whatever. The bottom two drawers are for him, and I try to rotate what's in them.

4) Our favorite, and has been since he was about 1. Those small cheap spools of thread like you find in travel kits. I bought a bag of 100 on clearance at Jo-Ann a while back for $5. he loves them. he can unwind the thread, he can stack the spools, he can count them, he can line them up, but best of all, he can stick them on the ends of his little fingers. I don't know why that's so much fun, but it is and has been for 2 years.

5) I make sure to break whenever he wants my attention, or as soon as I can. I have him wait right next to me while I finish up, then he has my full attention for a while.

6) My son is allowed 1 movie or 2 TV shows per day if he wants it, and about half the time, he doesn't ask. He usually watches them on my computer while I sew at the machine right next to him. We can chat while I work and he watches his movie. I don't feel bad about this movie time mainly because the child does not sit still and watch TV, he acts out the movie/TV show along with the characters, so I figure he's getting exercise and some practice at pretending, as well.

7) When he was younger, I let him sit on my lap while I sewed. He liked to watch the fabric feed through the machine, and I'd let him push the thread cutter button when appropriate. That stopped being a good idea just past 2. He was suddenly much faster and more accurate with his fingers, and I was afraid I'd hurt him.

And of course there's nap time. I sew like a mad woman when he's sleeping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallypop, Affordable cloth diapers, slings, & other products for natural families.
Boulevard Designs, My Etsy shop
One Crafty Girl, My Blog about crafting
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007 10:49:38 PM »

ooh!  New ideas.... Taking notes...right..now!

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nemejia
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007 02:30:33 PM »

I let my son (3) paint with water. I give him a sheet of colored construction paper. A tiny bowl of water and a paint brush. The water shows up great on the paper and if he spills - no biggie, it's just water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007 03:20:38 PM »

Those beginners sewing kits are always good. Creating a little area for legotype blocks could be helpful too. The one thing you should definitely not do is leave your sewing kit within reach, even if its latched. I got into my grandma's at 10 months and still have a 2in scar...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
sarahtar
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007 10:01:02 PM »

Yeah, keep a close eye on those scissors.

One email from a customer asking if I had any idea how her wool diaper cover got a two-inch cut on one side and I started being REALLY careful about where I tossed the scissors while I was working.

I'm actually going to remodel the office this fall and I'll be making one corner into an activity corner for my kid. He'll have a small set of shelves with small boxes with different acivities in them, and then a craft table as well as his easel. Spoiled, that one is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallypop, Affordable cloth diapers, slings, & other products for natural families.
Boulevard Designs, My Etsy shop
One Crafty Girl, My Blog about crafting
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007 10:47:52 PM »

Some more good ideas!  I really like the contruction paper and water idea - not just for just when I'm sewing though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007 05:10:56 PM »

Don't know if you have seen this before, but on the off chance you haven't...   Wink

http://www.craftbits.com/viewCategory.do?categoryID=KID

{and}

http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/YS/CRAFTS/crafts.htm

Maybe some of these will keep her busy for a while, and enrich that cute curly head of hers. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007 09:45:43 PM »

Thanks rozekitten!  I just had a quick look and there's so many great ideas  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007 06:42:22 AM »

My daughter loves those craft foam shapes with adhesive on one side. She can spend an hour just sticking them to paper, larger foam sheets, plastic containers, and, yes, herself.  Roll Eyes

I buy ours in small buckets at the dollar store. Whenever I need her to sit still I just give her a ton of them along with some materials she can stick them on and it's amazing how quiet she gets concentrating on placing them just right. I imagine this would work with regular stickers too.

I also keep a box full of scrap felt, construction paper, scissors, glitter glue, pompons and craft sticks under my sewing table to pull out when she wants to craft along with me. I often hear "I want to make a craft!" whenever I sit down in my craft room, so I just pull out the box and give her a random assignment (make a pirate flag, make a door hanger for your room, decorate this carboard tube, etc.). It keeps her happy and out of trouble.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007 06:47:06 AM by lovething » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Capital Calligraphy Letters - A Through D
How to Draw the Capital Calligraphy Letters - E Through J
How to Draw the Capital Calligraphy Letters - K Through N
How to Draw the Capital Calligraphy Letters - O Through Z
How to Draw Calligraphy Flourishes - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...