A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a 'can i do this with multiple pieces' question...  (Read 968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 02, 2007 09:06:41 PM »

A lot of the tutorials I've seen have all been using one ...hunk of wool, whether it's all dyed one color or painted or whatever. But I was at my local yarn store and saw that they sold little ounce packages of dyed wool. I was wondering if it's possible to combine them in some way and spin them into a skein. (sorry...lol I haven't spun yet...I'm just getting info and purchasing supplies..) I didn't get to ask the couple who own the shop as I was buying something specific with fellow classmates and we needed to get back to class.....
 But yeah.....I didn't know if I could mix and match or if it all had to be ..one bundle to begin with.  lol I hope that question made sense.
  Oh...and one more thing. Are there any tutorials for adding things to your yarn? Like....buttons, beads, ribbon, etc.?
 Any help is appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007 09:09:13 PM by mistress_batty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
raynbow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007 06:19:23 AM »

You can definately use multiple pieces to spin with.

I tend to break my roving down into shorter pieces to spin anyhow, otherwise I tend to end up with it tangled or all over the place.

I don't know if there are any tutorials about adding things to your yarn.  The only way that I've done it so far is to spin a single, like normal.  Then take a piece of thread and put all your buttons etc on it.  Then you just ply the single with the piece of thread.

If there are other ways to add bits and pieces, I'd love to know as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007 09:27:30 AM »

You can definately use multiple pieces to spin with.

I tend to break my roving down into shorter pieces to spin anyhow, otherwise I tend to end up with it tangled or all over the place.

I don't know if there are any tutorials about adding things to your yarn.  The only way that I've done it so far is to spin a single, like normal.  Then take a piece of thread and put all your buttons etc on it.  Then you just ply the single with the piece of thread.

If there are other ways to add bits and pieces, I'd love to know as well!

Awesome, thanks. lol I just didn't want to go buy a bunch of 1oz bags of wool and not be able to use them.
 I think I found a book that might talk about ways to add things to yarn...but I don't have $40 bucks to buy i right now. lol But it'll definately be on my to buy list. <3 It's called "Handspun Revolution" Here's a link if you're interested.... http://www.pluckyfluff.com/handspunrevolution.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raynbow
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007 10:14:55 AM »

Now, it is a horribly expensive way to buy spinning wool, but it will work!

Do you have a LYS in your area?  Ours mostly sells yarn, but they have a tiny spinning section up front with just a little bit of fiber, a few drop spindles, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007 03:11:48 PM »

Yeah, I've seen like an ounce of fiber for $2, which is just outrageous.  So make sure buying the bits of roving won't end up being highway robbery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007 06:35:37 PM »

Yeah...there's a store here....but an ounce of colored wool is $2.50 So....I'm thinking that it would just be cheaper to dye my own. Or actually....I've been looking at a bunch of dyed roving on etsy ..which is gorgeous...I'm just not sure what's reasonable. But yeah....there's a Joann's across from my apartment so I might be picking up a bunch of Wilton dye's and experimenting with those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007 10:04:07 PM »

yes, you can definitely spin a skein of yarn from many little pieces of rovings but those bags you're thinking about are intended for needlefelting and just to warn you, aren't the easiest to spin.

You can definitely buy it and try to spin it, but if it turns out to be frustrating, don't let it discourage you from spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007 10:04:21 PM »

Reasonable prices for fiber vary wildly. If I saw 100% cashmere for $2 an ounce it would be a total steal. Uncarded, uncleaned Romney for $2 an ounce wouldn't entice me to buy. The most I've ever spent for fiber was $15 an ounce...but it's a 50/50 silk-cashmere blend hand-dyed. So totally worth it.

You'll have to figure out what's worth it to you and what's not. I love hand-dyed fiber but don't have enough room to do a lot of it so I will often eat the price of a more expensive fiber for saving me the risk of having to pay to replace the counter when I move out of here because I stained it very badly. [That doesn't mean I don't dye myself because oh, I do, but just not everything I spin.]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007 03:25:42 PM »

Reasonable prices for fiber vary wildly. If I saw 100% cashmere for $2 an ounce it would be a total steal. Uncarded, uncleaned Romney for $2 an ounce wouldn't entice me to buy. The most I've ever spent for fiber was $15 an ounce...but it's a 50/50 silk-cashmere blend hand-dyed. So totally worth it.

You'll have to figure out what's worth it to you and what's not. I love hand-dyed fiber but don't have enough room to do a lot of it so I will often eat the price of a more expensive fiber for saving me the risk of having to pay to replace the counter when I move out of here because I stained it very badly. [That doesn't mean I don't dye myself because oh, I do, but just not everything I spin.]

Gaunaco = $30/ ounce.  Ouch. 

I know this all depends on the spinner's budget, but I rarely batt an eye at $3/ oz of dyed/ prepared wool (there's a local shop that carries only locally prepared/ grown/ etc wool that I buy just because).  If it wasn't carded or cleaned or dyed... well, then, no.  But, again, it all depends on what you can afford to spin.

And, I have to say that TheBon has a point.  Earlier on in my spinning days I would buy mostly white (predyed wool was a rare treat), but after staining many a counter and coming up with "blah" rovings, I've finally admitted that there are much better dyers out there than me. Now, I just eat the cost (sigh), however much it hurts my wallet and pride.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007 03:39:07 PM »

So....I bought some wool! yay! Thanks to everyone that replied! I went back to Canvas Works..the local yarn store here in Olympia...and splurged <3 lol I"ll have to take pictures later.
  Last time I was there I didn't really have much time to check out the wool because I was on a mission to buy yarn for a weaving project with fellow students...so the little bags of wool I saw where two different things. The real small ones were the needle felting ones but then the others came in other sizes and beautiful colors.....I wish I could have bought one of everything. lol For now I"m going to mess around with already dyed wool. TheBon commented on the kitchen counter and it made me think about how that's one of the last things I'd want to replace in my apartment (lol I've already dyed the bathroom sink with hair dye)....so yeah.....as soon as I can figure out what I'm doing wrong ..beginning with attaching the wool to the leader...I'll be spinning. I hope. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Making of the Wired Design Logo at TechShop, San Francisco
DIY Gourd Candles
Shinola: American Made Watches and Bikes
Folk Fibers: One-Of-a-Kind Hand-Stitched Quilts
How To Make A Spooky Halloween Spider Out Of PVC Pipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...