A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,432
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dying polka dots on coloured cotton?  (Read 730 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
atomic mary
« on: April 02, 2007 07:19:15 PM »

okay, i'm new to dying fabrics and was recently given some procion mx dyes. i am enjoying them much more than fabric paint which i find quite stiff. i have a dress i am wanting to make with a very specific design. the dress is yellow with a big teal-y polka dot and then a smaller red polka dot inside of it. does anyone have advice on how best to go about this? should i use yellow fabric and bleach the polka dots and then dye them?  or use a resist on white fabric to draw the lines of the polka dots and then dye the base yellow and then fill in the teal and red? or..... what? am i even being clear? i hope someone out there can make sense of what i mean and give me some guidance!
oh and thanks so much for this board! it has made life so much easier! yay board!
atomic mary
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 10:13:11 PM »

What kind of fabric are you thinking of using (esp what weight)?

I wouldn't try to bleach a yellow fabric - the color generally doesn't completely come out. If you need a lot of area filled with yellow, you could resist the dots with something (wax frex) and dye it yellow, then remove the wax and use a wax or gutta to outline the dots, then dye-paint the dots in. Or you could dye-paint the whole thing, although it might be harder to get an even yellow that way if it covers a lot of area. If you don't need clean lines for the dots, tie-dye/shibori is also a possibility.

In my limited experience with guttas, they work best on lightweight fabrics - it is hard to saturate heavier fabrics with the gutta to prevent bleeding.  Maybe there is a better type of gutta for heavier fabrics, though.

LV 20  blog!
atomic mary
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007 09:58:20 AM »

at this point i am thinking of using a quilting cotton. it's a dress and i don't want it to be too light.
what is the difference between wax and gutta? and where can i buy it? michael's? i had a really difficult time finding and buying the dyes so...
i am hoping for a sharper line to my dots. thanks for the advice on the yellow though. i didn't even think about it not all coming out.
i guess i'll have to play around a bit. of course, it's one of those things i want done now! Roll Eyes
atomic mary
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...