A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Have you used the Dick Blick tie dye strings? (UPDATED)  (Read 776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onemoreseam
« on: March 30, 2007 04:16:03 PM »

UPDATE:  I decided to use alternate method to make "spots" on shirt yet still have "tie dye" feel.  See this post for details & photos:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=163309.0

I need to make a costume for DD's school play.  Dick Blick has donated shirts and these tie dye strings for all the kids.  The problem is that DD's character is supposed to have spots.  The teacher said I can freehand spots on w/a sharpie but that sounds like torture to me.  DD would prefer not to be the only non-dyed kid on the stage so I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to tie dye something that would look "spotty".

I do not have the original DB directions, only typed directions RE: how to boil the shirts once tied.  I got a look at some finished shirts today.  The way the strings work, you tie them on and then boil the shirt in salted water.  You get a stripe where you tied the string, but there is also transfer of dye into the water and thus onto the shirt in areas that aren't tightly bound inside the shirt. 

So I know I will get black anywhere I tie the string and grey any place that  will be exposed to the water.  Any suggestions RE: making spots?   If I pull up a small peak of fabric and wrap the black string completely around it, it should look like a circle, right?  Can I make lots of peaks all over and wrap the rest of the shirt in plastic to keep it white while boiling?  Or if I wrap the little peaks w/string and just boil the dye strings in the water (not tying them on the shirt), will I get white circles/spots with grey/black background? 

Sorry, I am sure I sound stupid but I have never tie dyed before.  I have been reading directions but can't find anything about this product and can't visualize what I need to do to make "spots".  Swirls and V's and stripes and such I can visualize from the photo instructions on the web, but haven't found anything resembling polka dots at this point.

Suggestions or pointers much appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007 06:21:17 PM by onemoreseam » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lloer

Spinning 'til I'm dizzy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007 06:11:35 AM »

I've not used the strings - never heard of them to be honest - but I've previously got a spotty effect by flicking bleach onto the fabric with a paintbrush.

Emma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My personal blog - www.lloeren.com

My Knitting Book Review blog - http://lloeren.typepad.com/knitbooks/

Free The West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007 06:30:11 AM »

I have never heard of the Dick Blick color strings until today. Strange looking little things. I would suggest that you make several peaks all over the shirt and that might make the shirt look spotted. Whenever you're tie dyeing the color seems to get concentrated on the area you have it well in this case tied to, and will bleed into the rest of the shirt. I would just suggest that you be careful to not over do it. there is this site I came across that may help you she describes how to make certain patterns. I hope this helps somewhat.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtotiedye.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
onemoreseam
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007 08:28:06 PM »

OK, I gave up and did the sharpie marker & alcohol dye instead.  Unfortunately black sharpie dyes bluish purple so it's not really black but it's oh so spotty, DD could help, and she loves the final product so it's all good.  Now I gotta figure out what to do w/ a zillion black tie dye strings...

I am on a sewing binge right now so I'll post pics once I get everything in my queue finished.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon D3x - Unboxing
How to Shoot an Inexperienced Model
What is a Lifestyle Shoot
lighting technique - Dean Collins
Headshot Lighting Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...