A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I got 6 boxes of fabric...and I have no idea what to do with them!  (Read 590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

Still I fly...still I fall.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2007 05:20:57 AM »

So yeah, that pretty much tells everything. I got 6 boxes, make that really BIG boxes, of fabrics. They vary from velvet to satin, lycra to cotton. There's everything!

The problem is that I have no idea what to do with them. I'd want to do myself something punky or gothy, but anything else is fine, too.
Sooo, I was hoping that you creative geniuses could help me a bit here, give me some suggestions and ideas...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[revenge is the best revenge]
My still small wist!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 06:03:11 AM »

well,  anythinging,  or bags   would  be  great,,,, also  you could  enter the  OFFER what  you have swap and  swap  some  out.  do  personal  swaps  with some. I am  always  looking for  material....I like cottons   and  that  kind  best....
 there is a fill a flat rate box  swap  coming  again I  believe I heard  said.  and  that  is a  great  way to get  some  material  gone and  get  different  stuff in return.

skirts, dresses, corsets, 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 06:52:09 AM »

Well who wouldn't love bags...! I could also think about doing some sort of swap, it's not a bad idea, at all. Though, I'd really like to sew something, even for a swap. But thanks for the great ideas, I'll give them some serious thinking!

Ha, what amuses me the most is the fact that as we speak, my mom is diving in the boxes and searching for some fabrics suitable for her quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Serinde
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 08:17:19 AM »

Well who wouldn't love bags...!
When you have a piece of fabric you don't know what to do with, you can always make a bag! And one never has enough of them anyway Grin.
Skirts are fine as well, most of the time.

You could have your own Use What You Have-month (or two months, or even a year is you have that much fabric Tongue), it really makes you creative because well, you have to do with the fabric you allready have. It's good for your wallet as well Cool.

another thing I do sometimes is hang a piece of fabric somehwere I can frequently see it without planning to look at it, and just think: 'would this make a cool top? what kind of skirt would look nice out of this fabric?' - make the fabric inspire you. It doesn't do that when it's in a box Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007 06:05:17 PM »

bags are always a great way to use up fabric but so are pillows and cushions! I'm sure there is something in there that would go with your decor. Of course there are jackets and such as well. Sometimes if you look at a grat piece of fabric it will tell you what it wants to be!  Wink I know everyone in my house thinks that's insane but I'm sure many here at craftster will understand that I don't need to be locked up unless it's in my room with a sewing machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007 08:05:18 PM »

Chances are that if the velvet is real velvet and it has been stored in a mix of fabric (weight) in a box, the velvet isn't much good (sorry).  If it is velveteen it stands a pretty fair chance of survival.  Also, satins and acetates will often stiffen when they are stored. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sonnetbird
Life is full of adventure!

I see you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007 08:14:39 PM »

If you've ever wanted to try quilting, this may be a good time to start Smiley Maybe a crazy quilt?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The gal who smiles when things go wrong has just thought of someone to blame it on.
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007 01:20:28 AM »

Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I have now lots of ideas I could give a try... I think I'm going to make atleast a couple of bags and maybe some pillows and clothing. My mom shall do the quilting xD

Oh, and paroper, the fabrics haven't been stored for long time, just to get them over to my place. In fact, I have already taken most of them out of the boxes so they should get some air.

And Serinde, thanks for the tip on getting some inspiration, I think it'll work..!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007 11:36:32 AM by pretty hate machine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
graverobbergirl
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007 10:14:22 AM »

Bags and such are cool...but I would be lax if I didn't mention the potential for a funky coat. (They do require a good deal of material though). Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
tatdarlin
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007 12:57:57 PM »

ooorrrrrrrrrr you could send some on to meee lol yep you have been given great ideas. ive been going thru my stash to come up with quick projects to work on in the car or out n about with time to kill.

dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Handle a Calligraphy Pen
How to Draw Feet
How to Draw Legs
How to Illustrate Anime in Two Minutes
How to Draw Lips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...