A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: QUILTING ADVICE  (Read 3303 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boleyn

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004 10:00:54 AM »

I live right up the street from the Quilt in a Day store, where they film the show! Anyway, I do recommend the Quilt in a Day Books, they're great for beginners. Definitely invest in a rotary cutter, a good ruler, and a mat; it makes cutting so much easier. Another good book is "The Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide," which is kind of a quilters dictionary. It covers everything you would want to know. Also, for your first quilt, don't get too complicated unless you are an experienced sewer. When I start a new craft, I tend to get a little too gung-ho about it and end up driving myself nuts. You might want to try making a sampler quilt (lots of different blocks) as your first project ; that way you can try a lot of different techniques. Hope this helped and good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elysium
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004 11:32:46 AM »

I'm a fairly new quilter myself. The one piece of advice I have is don't get too ambitious with your pattern. I was the same in the beginning in that I was tempted by all these really fancy patterns b/c I didn't want my quilt to be boring. Then I discovered a secret. You can let the fabric do the work for you. Find yourself some patterns that you really love. Fabrics you wouldn't normally see in a quilt. Like something from repro depot. These fabrics look better in a simple pattern b/c it lets you see the images (it's not too busy). That way you can start with a simple pattern but still end up with a funkalicious quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrapperjen1
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004 02:07:18 PM »

Yes, fabric stores are a great place to start!  Also, if you do a web search you can come up with some great sites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004 05:38:58 PM »

log cabin squares are an easy way to start, especially if you do the strip-piecing method.  it goes really quickly & isn't too fussy.

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
tripleabatterie
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004 09:16:09 PM »

thank you much!

one of my friends' mothers quilts, and has offered to teach me.... i am super happy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

but what's the fun in that?
cmoore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004 11:03:33 PM »

Hey, good luck with learning!
I agree with the others start with a simple pattern and let the fabric do the work. One of the books I found helpful when starting was the quilting bible put out by singer-for when your friends mom is not around, or if you want to try something at 2 in the morning.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamarack

the mad crafter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004 05:12:47 AM »

The one piece of advice I have is don't get too ambitious with your pattern. I was the same in the beginning in that I was tempted by all these really fancy patterns b/c I didn't want my quilt to be boring. Then I discovered a secret. You can let the fabric do the work for you.

Pick up a book at your local library (or bookshop) about textile manipulations. There's lots of really simple (and not-so-simple) things you can to spruce up less-than-top-qual fabrics.

Economically, I'm usually relegated to the ranks of second-hand fabrics only. It can be great fun, but sometimes really frustrating to find complementarile designed fabrics Tongue

I have a book called "exploring textile arts" that has a lot of suggestions.

Best of luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be quilting!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Things to Try This May 2014
Keep Your Skin Looking Great
Beauty Products YouTuber Rosanna Regrets Buying
The Cynosure Vectus Hair Removal Laser Treatment
Our Picks for the Best Suncreen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...