A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: short and sweet - non mercerized vs mercerized cotton?  (Read 1605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkyflower
« on: April 02, 2007 01:49:49 AM »

I've had my short and sweet finished (without ends sewn in) for weeks and weeks, if not months.

The reason I can't bring myself to finish it:
it's sooooooooooo heavy. I used just normal cotton and I am wondering if mercerized cotton would be lighter?
i also had the unfortunate experience of dye coming off on my fingers, so i think i'd have to soak it in vinegar to fix the colour too...
if people agree that mercerized cotton is lighter, i think i might do a big frogging project and start over as i do love it!
or would normal cotton soften up? - lol also scared of shrinkage

THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 05:29:03 AM »

I think mercerized cotton has just undergone a treatment to make it shinier/smoother; it doesn't effect the weight of it. Cotton would most likely soften up too, but check the label re. whether or not it is machine washable & dryable. You might try a cool machine wash and then air drying it if you were worried.

Weave the ends in, I love seeing this top made up (as I am not likely to do it myself), I am sure it is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 02:12:25 PM »

I'm working on Short & Sweet right now and I'm using Cotlin, a cotton-linen blend from Knitpicks. It's turning out really light and airy since it's thinner than the recommended yarn and I'm using a larger hook. The bonus of Cotlin is that it's only $2.50/ball. I finished the back of a size small with a ball and a half. Nice and inexpensive!

I understand what you mean about cotton being heavy. I made a skirt out of a cotton-acryllic blend and it's so bulky and hot that I can wear it only in winter.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rina
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 07:33:13 PM »

Even with acrylic, the short and sweet can be heavy--though not as much as cotton.  Weird for lace, huh?  I think it's all the front post/back post stitches.

I agree, the mercerizing thing doesn't make it lighter.  It helps to use a lighter weight yarn with a larger hook.  You can go as far as DK weight.  I tried Knit Picks Shine Sport, but it was too thin for the gauge. 

That CotLin sounds really cool.  Hmm, it's been a couple of months since my last KP order.  Thanks for the recommendation, Mandy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
funkyflower
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007 12:58:58 AM »

Smiley thank you for your replies!!

I guess I should weave in those ends, soak in vinegar and wear it in spring autumn. I could always make another one for summer lol!

*jealous of you guys having knitpicks!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuvCrochet
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007 08:40:17 PM »

I'm working on Short & Sweet right now and I'm using Cotlin, a cotton-linen blend from Knitpicks. It's turning out really light and airy since it's thinner than the recommended yarn and I'm using a larger hook. The bonus of Cotlin is that it's only $2.50/ball. I finished the back of a size small with a ball and a half. Nice and inexpensive

please post when you are done! I'd love to see this. I made it in cotton whenever the book came out. It was the first project I made.  I've never worn it. So if your idea works nicely I may try again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 1/12
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 9/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 8/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 7/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 6/15
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...