A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: short and sweet - non mercerized vs mercerized cotton?  (Read 1980 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkyflower
« on: April 02, 2007 01:49:49 AM »

I've had my short and sweet finished (without ends sewn in) for weeks and weeks, if not months.

The reason I can't bring myself to finish it:
it's sooooooooooo heavy. I used just normal cotton and I am wondering if mercerized cotton would be lighter?
i also had the unfortunate experience of dye coming off on my fingers, so i think i'd have to soak it in vinegar to fix the colour too...
if people agree that mercerized cotton is lighter, i think i might do a big frogging project and start over as i do love it!
or would normal cotton soften up? - lol also scared of shrinkage

THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 05:29:03 AM »

I think mercerized cotton has just undergone a treatment to make it shinier/smoother; it doesn't effect the weight of it. Cotton would most likely soften up too, but check the label re. whether or not it is machine washable & dryable. You might try a cool machine wash and then air drying it if you were worried.

Weave the ends in, I love seeing this top made up (as I am not likely to do it myself), I am sure it is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 02:12:25 PM »

I'm working on Short & Sweet right now and I'm using Cotlin, a cotton-linen blend from Knitpicks. It's turning out really light and airy since it's thinner than the recommended yarn and I'm using a larger hook. The bonus of Cotlin is that it's only $2.50/ball. I finished the back of a size small with a ball and a half. Nice and inexpensive!

I understand what you mean about cotton being heavy. I made a skirt out of a cotton-acryllic blend and it's so bulky and hot that I can wear it only in winter.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rina
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 07:33:13 PM »

Even with acrylic, the short and sweet can be heavy--though not as much as cotton.  Weird for lace, huh?  I think it's all the front post/back post stitches.

I agree, the mercerizing thing doesn't make it lighter.  It helps to use a lighter weight yarn with a larger hook.  You can go as far as DK weight.  I tried Knit Picks Shine Sport, but it was too thin for the gauge. 

That CotLin sounds really cool.  Hmm, it's been a couple of months since my last KP order.  Thanks for the recommendation, Mandy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
funkyflower
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007 12:58:58 AM »

Smiley thank you for your replies!!

I guess I should weave in those ends, soak in vinegar and wear it in spring autumn. I could always make another one for summer lol!

*jealous of you guys having knitpicks!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuvCrochet
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007 08:40:17 PM »

I'm working on Short & Sweet right now and I'm using Cotlin, a cotton-linen blend from Knitpicks. It's turning out really light and airy since it's thinner than the recommended yarn and I'm using a larger hook. The bonus of Cotlin is that it's only $2.50/ball. I finished the back of a size small with a ball and a half. Nice and inexpensive

please post when you are done! I'd love to see this. I made it in cotton whenever the book came out. It was the first project I made.  I've never worn it. So if your idea works nicely I may try again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Vegeta
How to Draw Vaporeon
How to Draw Tyson Granger
How to Draw Tony Chopper
How to Draw Tomoki Sakurai
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...