A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: weaving with multiple sclorosis? (question for my mom, by weaving n00b)  (Read 1535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2007 11:14:59 PM »

My mother used to be very into weaving, but she was diagnosed with multiple sclorosis and using her looms hurts her legs too much.  she's already sold one of her looms, and i'm encouraging her to keep the one that she still has (she doesn't want to sell it, either.)  i ask her from time to time why she doesn't try to weave, or do something to make the peddles easier to push, but i don't know a lot about it.  she said that she can still weave some of the easier patterns that don't require using so many peddles (i'm sure there's a technical term for that) but that they're too boring.  really, i don't know what i'm even asking, but i would like to help her somehow.  it really makes her sad that she doesn't weave anymore, she had been weaving for years, used to teach lessons, etc.  selling her small loom was difficult for her, and i want to help her preserve her passion somehow.  i've suggested knitting, and she said that she should try to start that up again too, so i'm going to get her some knitting stuff with my first pay check from my first job (omg!)

but yeah, sorry for the disorganization of this post.  i just wondered if anybody else has dealt with this, and has any suggestions for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007 05:17:17 AM »

You could suggest that she try a table loom with hand operated treadles (that's the peddle part.) Here's a link to show you what I'm talking about - http://www.halcyonyarns.com/weaving_tableloom.html. They are pretty expensive, but maybe if she sold her loom that she is using now she could buy one of these...I don't know...just a suggestion!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seetulane
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007 06:08:22 AM »

UM, I don't weave, but I would think that sufficent lubricant would help the treadles a lot Definately doing something will make the MS easier to handle.  Also, You might be able to rig up something to put the treadles at hand height. hmm   The engineer in me senses a challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007 08:44:47 AM »

Actually lubricant wouldn't work because most treadles are connected to the harnesses with string. It's just the weight of the harnesses that makes them harder to push sometimes. And if your mom can't do patterns with a lot of different treadle movements I would imagine that is because she would have to be moving her feet from side to side along the treadles as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007 02:10:11 PM »

the table loom sounds like a really great idea!  i'll ask her about it (vaguely, of course, because such a thing would most certainly qualify as a fiftieth birthday present Wink)  thanks for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachymanaangel
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007 06:54:02 AM »

In the adds of handwoven there is a company that has treadle air assist. Here is their webpage that explains.
http://www.firesidelooms.com/new.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
MAmadurk
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007 06:53:51 PM »

My husband has MS and a big part of his problem is loss of feeling---in his feet (a wonder he is still able to walk) and in his hands ---any extremities, basically. The table loom suggestion may help if this is the problem Heathurr's mom is having. 

Another problem that can sometimes be associated with MS is difficulty concentrating. Perhaps this is a problem?  Heathurr will need to pussy foot around the issue and see if this may be the problem on the more complex patterns---perhaps there is some way you can help her keep a more difficult patttern straightened out?

Good luck!
MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Precious Blood by Tonya Hurley
Turney Duff on Galleon, Goldman and Cocaine
Meet Katherine Parr in Queen’s Gambit
The Sacred River by Wendy Wallace
Jonathan Alter Talks About The Schmooze Gene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...