A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wanting to learn how to make soap  (Read 949 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mis-Stitch
« on: April 02, 2007 06:06:05 AM »

Hi to all the Soapmakers!!! I have been researching how to make soap and I came across these sites that have a kit with everything to make my first batch the first site is from crabapplesoap.com: http://www.crabapplesoap.com/kits.html Does anybody know if they are reputable?  Everything is pre-measured so I would have to buy a scale for the next batch that I make.  The second one is from Brambleberry.com: http://www.brambleberry.com/kits.html (its about half way down called the Cold Process Kit.  I'm leaning towards the first one I just need someone's advice that can help me decide. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smile like you mean it!
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 08:37:37 AM »

Hi there Mis-stich!

I don't have any experience with Crab apple Soaps, but I've had good luck with Brambleberry products! 

The Brambleberry kit looks good, but you'll have to find the lye on your own.  Depending on where you're located geographically folks here should be able to suggest a lye supplier.

The Crabapple kit looks complete, but personally I'd prefer the brambleberry kit because it looks to be more basic and should teach you how to really make soap from scratch as opposed to using pre-mixed oils and pre-measured lye.

Either way, I strongly recommend that you get a stick blender!  The $10 one from WalMart (or your equivelent) will work just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 09:30:56 AM »

It seems a bit pricey........I am sure you can find all the supplies for way less than that, it may not have a video BUT I have learned a lot from the tutorials on here.

Good luck, and realize..........TH IS IS AN ADDICTION!!

We will have to go to SoapersAholics....

Hi my name is Shelia and I'm a SoapAholic....tee hee hee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sourrgrrapes
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007 12:53:42 PM »

I LOVE making soaps and body products! I started about a year ago and it's true... once you start, it's an addiction. You'll be collecting every fragrance oil & soap mold you can think of.. haha.

I've never done business with Crabapple but it's cool that I found a new website to look at now. Smiley Brambleberry is wonderful! They ship fast, and send samples most of the time.

Some other websites:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com 
-They sometimes have better deals on some items than Brambleberry, too. I also find it helpful that customers actually review the products so you can get a better idea of what works well and what doesn't.

http://www.sweetcakes.com
-I've only used this to get fragrance oils, but they offer some other items, too.

If you need any advice, or have any more questions - feel free to contact me. Good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
-Kurt Vonnegut-

My wist: http://wists.com/sourrgrrapes
My blog: http://sourgrapes.typepad.com

LOVE swapping. <3
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007 01:45:54 PM »

I have heard that you can mail order Lye from Chemistry.com. I buy mine at Lowes. Home Depot, in my area, does not carry it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
cunninglycrafting
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007 02:39:57 PM »

Both are reputable.

I would think you might could put together a similar kit yourself with some research and save money.  There are TONS and tons of suppliers online. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Becca, aka Kestrel - SAHM of one groovy son (16), artsy-craftsy person who enjoys soap-making, fiber-arts, herbal gardening, hiking, and soaking in the hot-tub.
Mis-Stitch
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007 07:51:28 AM »

Thank you everybody that's exactly what I'm gonna do. I'm just gonna get everything together myself Smiley  all except for the scale I'll buy online. One question though what type of themometer do I buy like one of those turkey ones that you just stick in?  I saw it in the Soapmaker's Companion book. Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smile like you mean it!
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007 01:01:17 PM »

I bought a regular food grade digital thermoneter for my soap making. And the scale I bought at Target. but if you want something tat does more than 5 lbs, i'd go online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
Mis-Stitch
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007 03:24:23 PM »

Thanks Ginamonster! I'm so excited and I haven't even made any soap yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smile like you mean it!
nikkic82
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007 07:42:31 AM »

I would do it individually too. 4 pounds is a pretty big mold and if you're first starting out you'll want to do smaller batches so you can experiment more, have less soap (trust me, you'll have too much soap!) and save a lot of money in FO. With CP you need about 1 ounce per pound of oils. With HP I use 1/2 ounce per pound.

For molds you can go to Target and get a drawer divider, shoe box (cardboard boxes work well too) or even a small cat litter pan.

You can get Lye at Lowes for $8.00

Then all you need is a scale (try Bed, Bath and Beyond) some oils which you can get at the grocery store, and some freezer paper or a plastic bag to line your mold.

This article is great for a first timer:
http://www.millersoap.com/USAToday/SoapArtUSAToday.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sun Star Image Effect Part 2/2
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 1/2
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 2/2
How to Understand what is Important in a Portrait
How to Create Image Rhythm and Balance Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...