A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Web Biz advice!!!  (Read 2946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2004 09:55:55 PM »

im trying to get a crafty website set up! But im so clueless. what exactly is hosting? is that something i need! and how do i get the stuff onto the page once i buy it? i was gonna buy a page from godaddy.com, but im really clueless and dont wanna buy things i dont need!

i know lots of you  have crafty sites out there which you sell your crafts, any one wanna help me out, ill post your links and what not on my site, or send you some crafts!  

Thanks

LaURi C.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilyblue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004 10:18:31 PM »

1. you need hosting. that is where all the pages for your website reside.

2. godaddy.com is great for domains.  

3.  you will probably need something like WS-FTP to upload your pages if your host does not provide a serivce for you to upload directly from their site.  

I know this is basic, but keep the questions coming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Buy D.I.Y , get listed!
plainmabel
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004 06:44:39 AM »

As lilyblue said, you need hosting -- this is not what you'd be ordering from godaddy -- godaddy just supplies your domain name, the address of your site.  Your host is the Web server (like a big hard drive) that stores your site and delivers them to your undying fans.  Also as lilyblue noted you need an FTP program (WS-FTP or CuteFTP on PC, Fetch on a Mac, etc) that sends your files to your Web server.  It's much much easier than it sounds, I swear!

I normally don't promote the company I work for (actually I don't think I ever have!), but you might benefit a lot from a course we have called Web Site 101 which goes over all of these features for you and walks you through the process of getting your domain name, setting up your hosting, and even uploading (FTPing) your very first pages to your host.  You can find it at sessions.edu -- it's a 3 lesson online course with an instructor.  It's a little pricey but it would give you a really good foundation in how the process works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004 06:20:48 PM »

okay, im a little less confused now,

where do i get hosting from? any site that you deal with that are reputable? what do i use to build my site? is that what the FTp program is for? is that something i buy at a computer store?, do i need a program that will help me build the site? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plainmabel
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004 06:32:26 PM »

Shop around for hosting -- you'll need to find a plan that fits your budgets and your site needs (in terms of amount of storage it offers, email accounts, and other features).  I personally use lunarpages.com.  But don't buy hosting until you're actually ready to put pages on the Web (though you may want to buy your domain name asap so it doesn't get taken).

FTP stands for file transfer protocol -- it's the means of getting your files to your server (your host), but it is not used to build the pages.  You can download an FTP program online.  

If you're totally new to building Web pages, you might be best off paying someone to do the site design for you, as it will take a fair amount of time to learn HTML and/or an HTML editor program -- and you'll need to learn a graphics program as well.

I really think you'd benefit a lot from a basic site course to help you understand the terminology, programs, and options involved with building your Web site.  Or look into a workshop at a local college, or at least some books on Web design and Web sites for beginners, for example: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596000367/ref=pd_sim_books_3/103-5305771-7267808?v=glance&s=books
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
lilyblue
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004 08:32:34 AM »

you can also go here:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/html_basics/

to get the basics down.  They will epxlain everything for you.

One piece of advice that I got early on is to go to a page you like and look at the source code.  See what each tag does.  That helped me a lot.

Let me just get this out of the way.  There is no use in getting programs like Dreamweaver if you don't have HTML knowledge.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004 08:33:28 AM by lilyblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Buy D.I.Y , get listed!
aspenwall
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004 09:54:50 AM »

You might already have MS FrontPage on your computer...That is what I had used to do my site.  Once I learned some quick basics from http://www.htmlgoodies.com/html4-ref/  I was able to use FrontPage pretty easily.  I don't have my site anymore, but once I got started...everything got easier and easier.  Some sites will do your hosting and your domain name, so you can check into that.  There are also free FTP programs on CNET you can try http://download.com.com/3000-2160-10252208.html?tag=lst-0-2
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004 09:59:37 AM »

Does anyone know of a good web stats program? (pref. free) I switched servers recently, and I don't think my new host offers that service...
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.auntbeep.com
An online boutique & gallery showcasing fresh, talented Los Angeles designers and artists.
bluaria
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004 10:07:27 AM »

I use GoLive, which I love.  I'm just starting to learn myself. About a month ago I was clueless about how to do any of this.  With GoLive you don't really need to know html.  I design everything in photoshop and transfer it over to GoLive.  It's very basic.  I'm sure there is better ways for all of this but for a beginner, it's great.  The bad side...it's not free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made by a city girl.  Made for everyone.
handmade leather jewelry & accessories
www.citygirldesigns.net
VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004 06:23:11 PM »

Thank ou all for the advice!

i think im gonna try to get this dude thats doing my boyfriends band site to do mine, but im still gonna try and learn!

Lauri
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Camera Shutters Work
How to use the Aperture - Lesson 1
Learn about the Camera Term: Exposure
How to Compress an Image to Reduce File Size
How to use a Dutch Tilt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...