A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flamework Beginner's Kit *EDIT* Pics Added (VERY img obese)  (Read 6151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 30, 2007 01:58:16 PM »

I just got my beginner's flameworking kit from www.cathedralstainedglass.com It took right at about a week to get here...I can't wait to start using everything! I will post pics of all the goodies when I get home tonight! If anyone has any words of wisdom for a novice I would definatly appreciate it!
*And now for some pics!
Here's the box (with a silly kitty!)

The opened box (group shot, sort of...)

Free stuff (catalogs)

How-To video (and I have no VCR...)

Torch head and bottle clamp

Mandrels and Marvers

and the pretty glass rods!

I also got an annealing blanket and bead release!

Sorry for so many pics, but I'm just so excited! Next will be some finished projects, I promise!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 08:06:42 PM by jshires » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007 02:05:32 PM »

YEAH!!! Congrats! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

And just so you know.....It's OK to post your beginning projects too.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blockhead24
Dabbles in all Crafts

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007 12:53:39 PM »

Don't heat up your bead release too much, because if it cracks, you will never get your bead off your madrill!  Also for decorating you can use common items (that can withstand high heat) such as pliers, dentist tools(not so common..lol) etc.  If you have anymore questions, I can try to help!  Have you do bead making before or will you be brand brand new?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jshires

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007 02:13:43 PM »

Oh! Thanks for the advice about the bead release! The "instructions" didn't mention that...I am brand spankin new to lampwork. I have dabbled in poly clay and I've been beading for ages (thats why I thought I should try to make my own beads...I hate not being able to find the perfect beads at the store!) So any more advice you have...thanks! (I haven't yet set everything up. I'm still trying to track down a VCR to watch the video first, so I don't have any specific questions yet, but you may be hearing from me once I do...) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
blockhead24
Dabbles in all Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007 02:37:06 PM »

Not a prob!  Did your kit come with the rosey colored glasses?  I am not sure of the name, but they are tinted to basically eliminate the flame from your sight, so you can focus on the project at hand.  If not, I recommend getting some, or maybe try varies shades of sunglasses.  It also helps you to see when the glass is red hot so you can work with it.  Also, Make Sure to bob the glass in and out of the flame to heat it slowly, if you heat it too quick it shatters and chips off in all directions.  To make round beads you have to continuously rotate (between your first finger and thumb) the mandrill until the bead is cool and no longer glowing.  And a very important thing, when your bead is done, Don't touch it for a while.. don't put it in the annealing blanket until quits glowing (an min or 2 after out of flame) It can start it on fire!  Very very hot... wanna test it.  (Note you will need water or something) take you bead out of flame (I recommend a messed up one so you don't hamper your pretty ones) glowing or not and hold it on a piece of paper... it will start on fire!!!  You can hold not glowing bead away from you hand a few inches and still feel the heat.  Ok, enough of the hot lecture... just know it will be a few hours before you can touch your finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jshires

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007 07:37:55 PM »

Wow, thanks. Yeah, I knew it would be hot, but I didn't really think it would be that hot.  Undecided And I will def. look into some sort of colored glasses. Rosy is best, huh? I will be setting up tomorrow, so I'll let you know how my trial run goes. Thanks so much for all your advice. I've been reading up on it, but you've pointed out stuff none of the tutes really mentioned! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

My Wists
My Blog
blockhead24
Dabbles in all Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007 08:43:16 PM »

I was just looking online because it was bugging me on what kind of glasses they were, and I found these...  http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=itemView&itemsysid=144852&ViewCAT=&startRow=1&returnTo=itemList
They are green, but they are for the same purpose!  I would say you could try any type of UV blocking glasses to see if they work for you!  I am still trying to remember the name of the company I ordered mine from for you!

Oh and I remembered another tip they dont tell you, Its good to have some madrills already made up (like if you want to make 4-5 bead at a time).  Dip them in the bead release then dry them off with the flame.. and stand them up right (I have a board with holes drillied in it.. but a piece of styrofoam would work too).  Then just reheat the mandrill when your ready to use it!  Ok, I am done for tonight, I need to go to bed...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kreestahl
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007 10:26:28 AM »

The glasses are a "must have" to keep your eyesight.  You can also get them at a welding supply company.  Have you had ANY instruction?  The first thing I tell students is that everything in glass is either hot, sharp or poisonous.  Glass is so addicting...I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jshires

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007 11:34:32 AM »

I have a video that I watched (very helpful) and the advice I've gotten on this board has helped as well. I have made a few successful beads (though they aren't much to look at yet) The first few didn't come out because I didn't mix the bead release properly and it cracked and thus the bead would not come off the rod! But I learned from that (and luckily I bought extra mandrels) and someday I will get around to posting my first attempts (and fire is addicting!!)
Thanks again for all the words of wisdom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

My Wists
My Blog
Small-Lion
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007 03:16:19 AM »

The pink glasses are called didymium and they are a necessity for eliminating the sodium flare when working with hot glass. The green ones will protect your eyes from flying chips, but you won't be able to see a damn thing in the flame and they don't protect against flare..

I got the hot heads kit from Delphi and I was disappointed when I found it came with the green ones. I had to go and get the proper ones, which weren't cheap!

If the glass sticks to the mandrel, take a hammer to it to get it off and crush it a bit and use it as frit..(decoration) Lay some of the chips out on a graphite pad and roll a hot bead over it..Then melt the frit into the bead as much as you like.

Also, you've probably figured it out, but keep a spare tank of gas handy because there's nothing more frustrating than when it runs out or gets cold halfway through a session! You can counter this by standing the tank in warm water, but I find that a spare tank is better .

This chick rocks, by the way: http://www.andrighetti.com/index.htm

But unfortunately only posts to Canada. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<This space intentionally left blank>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Makeover for a Busy Mom
What to Wear on Thanksgiving and the Days After
Carbon Copy: Get January Jones Fall Look
Miranda Kerr Reveals Style Inspiration
Style Sound-Off: Jennifer Lawrence, Angelina Jolie, Liam Hemsworth
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...