A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,975
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best black dye for jeans  (Read 5608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

not2old4glitter
« on: August 15, 2006 03:20:42 PM »

Black jeans are an essential wardrobe stable IMO. But the last year or two it's been very hard to find them, I guess they have been out of style. (I don't care if they are in or out, I just like black jeans!) Anyway I finally found a pair  that I like the fit and the cut, but they are  too "distressed" for my taste. The bottom is dark black but the top is very faded and has whiskering. I'm size 16 and whiskering really accentuates the width of your hips so I want to overdye them black to even out the color and try to tone down the whiskering. What is the best black fabric dye for jeans that will stay black and not all wash out in the first washing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006 07:40:43 PM »

I've had pretty good success with rit dye. I give all the washable black in my wardrobe (that's a LOT of things) every several months. Normally I use double the dye it calls for (double the salt too, just not the water) for more intense results. It does fade after a while, but then again, black is one of those colors that has obvious fading. It lasts rather wel though. I only dye my pants about every 4 or 5 months (but then again, I wear them all the time. At least it's cheap) you can get by with doing it less often though if you don't wear them as much. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 08:21:18 PM »

Don't use Rit. 

Go here:

dharmatrading.com

Black is notoriously difficult to make "stick".  You will need two different varieties of black, both procion mx.  Get an assload of salt, sans iodine.  They have good instructions on their site and in their catalogue.  I just used their jet black today to darken a red. 

I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not2old4glitter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 11:32:51 PM »

so the Fiber Reactive Procion Dye is the one I need from that site?

oh they have special instructions for black- this is good info thanks!

Black Dyes
We have 4 black fiber reactive dyes, each with a different color cast. They all work well in direct application methods like tie-dye where the fabric is kept moist long enough for the dye to develop full depth. You will see, however, some differences depending upon which one you use and your particular situation and techniques. When vat-dyeing (when you are dyeing a solid color shade) there are some differences:

* #39 Black- vat dyes with a green cast and edges are blue in tie dye.
    * #44 Better Black-vat dyes with a purple-blue cast and edges are blue in tie-dye.
    * #250 Jet Black-This is the most concentrated of all the blacks and gives the deepest black when used in vat dyeing with hot tap water (130-150F degrees). Edges are green in tie-dye.
    * #300 New Black-Vat dyes with a very blue cast and edges are blue/pink in tie-dye.

Black is a tough color to get. You have to use a lot of dye and in vat dyeing, you need to double the salt. We recommend a 1/2 and 1/2 combination of #44 and #300 for the blackest black in tie dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006 10:40:15 AM »

Yep...that's the kind.  You do what they tell you and you'll be happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006 06:58:36 PM »

i was just in old navy today and they have TONS of black jeans that go up to size 20. i think the main fit is tight (they look awesome on everyone...i'm a size 18 and i look great in them) but they might have some other fits...

i think they even have some stovepipe jeans with a zipper at the bottom. the best part is that there is no fading at all! very very dark black jeans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
not2old4glitter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006 07:45:14 PM »

yeah, those new skinny jeans do NOT look good on me, the tapered ankles just make my hips and thighs look even wider.  Lips sealed I did wear that style plenty in the 80's though and used to taper my own jeans and add ankle zippers in 1978 before that was widely available off the rack. I was thinner then, punk rock was new, ahh memories...
at least the style of waistlines is finally coming up a bit, the ultra-low rise that has been so ubiquitous the past few years also does not look good on larger women.
My ideal jean would be medium rise (like just below the belly button but not 6 inches below it) , straight leg (not tapered), dark and not too distressed or whiskered or acid-wash. But I will check out Old Navy and see if they have anything that comes close to this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MikZ
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016 09:39:48 AM »

not2old4glitter: So how did it go? Did this turn out to be a good dye for your black jeans?

And there's nothing wrong with showing off hips, I reckon. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...