A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Fiesta" 20th birthday ((TONS of questions, long post))  (Read 2305 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThisChiq

Your booty shivers me timbers

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2007 09:21:43 PM »

My younger sister is turning 20 and I had the bright idea to throw a fiesta for her. Haha. Well, now I'm cemented in. I'm hispanic so a lot of these ideas I got when I was growing up and going to family parties BUT I used to hate these parties so I blocked out a lot of paying attention. On top of that, I'm more of a "coconut" so I'm not really savvy on hispanic culture. Heh.

Anyway, I have a lot of ideas already but I don't know how to incorporate it or how I should let it flow.

My ideas so far:
Food-beans, rice, enchiladas, jalapeno poppers, macaroni (my sister loves it) carne asada, nachos, enchiladas, tater tots, grilled corn, pan dulce, horchata, salsa, watermelon and a punch bowl with frozen lime/lemon instead of ice. *We're having a lot of vegetarians over. **What else is good for veggies and carnivores??*

We're gonna have a kiddie pool full of ice with our drinks and such.

At the door I want to make a sign saying something like "Entrada de fiesta de Cecilia" ((Did I spell it right??))  **How can I do that? I saw something on DIY where the girl leather burned into a chamois cloth and tied it to big sticks to look kinda Country. Would this work??**

She wants a lot of balloons and streamers. I want to get inflatable cacti and chili lights. Anyone know where to get these besides oriental trading? ((I get the catalog in the mail. Thats where a lot of the 'stuff' idea comes from))

All the females (about 15 of us) have to wear moustaches. **What can we have the guys (bout 20) wear??**

We're gonna use our gramas old blankets (she got these when she lived in Mexico) as throws over our couches

A pinata ((a must)) filled with Tamarindo suckers, caramel apple suckers and limon 7 **What else can I throw in there??**

A friend of ours is DJing some (SP)reggaton?? and mariachi style music. **He also DJs at a bar the same night so he's leaving early. What other kind of music is suitable that we can find and play??**

Here are some things I want to do but can't figure out
I want to have a sign in/guest book as people walk in. How can I design it? What can I use?

I want to use loteria cards in some way and I don't want to hang them from the ceiling. Ideas please?

We have about 4 acoustic guitars here ((all used and in working condition)) **How can I display them so people can use them at will and not think its just part of the decor?**

Where can I find/ how can I make Tiny Paper Sombreros?

My pointHow can I flow this to incorporate greetings, eating/hanging out, dancing, pinata, cake and present opening?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 09:31:10 PM by ThisChiq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Autumn indicates the death of beauty as we know
Keep on fighting one died from burning at his throat
Autumn swiftly stole the breath of body, mind and soul
 -10 Years "Autumn Effect"
hydro
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 07:16:33 PM »

I like all your ideas so far.  Do you have a Party America (or similar store) nearby?  They usually have inflatable stuff and other cheesy but fun decorations. 

If you'll be sitting down to eat, maybe you can use loteria cards as placecards.  Or actually PLAY it if you can find/afford enough sets and if your crowd would be into it. 

Maybe the guys could wear flowers in their hair?

You can also throw goofy little toys in the pinata, typical party favor stuff like mini yo-yos and kazoos, or whatever fun things you can find at the Mexican import store (if you have one).

Sorry I'm not more helpful... but I think it will be a fun party, fiestas always seem to come together awesomely even with very little planning.  Besos!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThisChiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007 10:11:58 PM »

I dont think we have a party america around. We have a...::thinks hard:: Alan Party Supply? store. That and there's a TON of 99 Cent stores and stuff that are mainly mexican imports. I have yet to see an inflatable cactus. There's still plenty of time tho.

The place cards are a great idea for the loteria cards ((I already picked up 5 packs at a local 98 cent store)) These ones are different cause the front has oooohh... example La Luna and then the back has writing in spanish that says ((roughly translated)) the way the sailors get back to where they belong. Has anyone seen loteria cards like that?

Hehe. At the time we initiated the Fiesta idea, we had 6 people coming. We're not really party people so it was just gonna be a little get together. I think now we're up to 45 and word is spreading. Everone wants to come to "the party of the year."  By the time July comes around this thing is going to blow up on us. Haha. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slackferno
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007 06:37:36 PM »

I did a grad party last year, and the theme was "Going to Cancun."  This allowed me to do a fiesta/luau combo platter and saved me a lot of stress and money.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=97775.msg926441#msg926441

I served chili lime shrimp quesadillas, put sodas in a kiddie pool filled with ice, and made virgin cocktails served in plastic margarita glasses.  I also set up a photo corner with a beachy backdrop and inflatables.  For yours, I'm seeing a burro pinata for folks to pose with.  Crafty Chica has a lot of great ideas, and you could work a Day of the Dead theme into your bash.  If you've got access to XM Radio (or know someone who does), you can log in online and play their Caliente channel for great party music after your DJ leaves.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThisChiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007 05:23:25 PM »

EEGADS!! That's one of the best sites I've seen for Fiesta ideas so far. I spent a few hours on it just planning. OH! I love your back drop picture idea. Looks like fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007 04:27:38 PM »

Your fiesta ideas sound great... maybe I'll change my grad party into a fiesta since my Bingo idea doesnt seem to be going anywhere...

Anyway, I saw a lot of fiesta themed things at walmart in the party section, there may have even been an inflatable cactus, but I can't be certain.  Id imagine most walmarts carry the same stuff so maybe you can have a little look-see at yours. 

For the guitars, you could put a little sign on or near them that says "toca mi"... i think that's touch me, or perhaps you could just look up how to say "play me"..my highschool spanish is wicked rusty.

I like the flower idea for the guys.  You could make those big poofy tissue paper flowers and attach them to cheapy hairclips for easy usage.

There's also those bright paper banners you could make with the little designs cut out of them to string throughout the house.  It'd fit with your sister's request for streamers.

That's all I can think of for now.  It sounds like it'll be pretty fantastic.  Need another guest to make it an even 46?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
ThisChiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007 10:11:43 PM »

Sweet!! I like the toca mi. Doesn't that also mean play me? heh. I should know this.

I want to put a little sign on our water cooler. Something like "Caution: Dont drink the water." Hah Sounds like an Alice in Wonderland sub theme with all the little signs.

Tons of people are talking about this in the city. Haha. The party's in July and we already have people buying their outfits and the presents. It's awesome.

Oh btw KerriedAway, all are welcome   Grin I think we're in the 60s already. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007 01:24:44 PM »

YAYYY FOR COCONUTS!!! I'm one too so don't feel too bad.  Grin
I was thinking the guys could wear lil plastic sombreros, or giant ones but its July so..it might be too hot.
Anyway I am personally in love with mexican popsicles. Paletas!
...i think lol You know the fruit kind with the cream yumm I think you can buy them at the store too but, keep them frozen until the last minute, it doesn't work to have them in a big bucket of ice. truuust me. Also for food, what about Gazpacho, its a cold tomatoe soup, or Posole, I don't think they have meat but maybe Posole does. Or lil sweet tamales <~ lotsa work unless pre-made and bought, you can go into the Ethnic Isle of any supermarket and pick up some Religious themed candles for the night time atmosphere of the party. Also you can make flan too, should you want to, they have that in the ethnic isle as well but you gotta make it kinda like instant pudding. What about sparklers for when you guys sing her Happy Birthday>? And what about those small snack cakes, donuts and stuff that Bimbo makes? You might be able to put some of those in the pinata too. Usually they come in a smaller version of like 4 baked goods per plastic bag. You could put little toys from those small 25 cent vending machines in the pinata too. But really any candy in there is good no ones going to complain that your sweets aren't Fiesta Themed lol
What about for your Welcome Sign you find a colorful pancho, maybe you've seen the ones with mutli colored strips, and an old sombrero, and some old boots, cover these over an old chair and pin a large paper on the pancho saying whatever you want. It'll look like someone left all their stuff there to go in and party. But the paper could be burnt, and browned on the edges like a treasure map..? just a thought. Maybe you can get more ideas from About.com. You might want to look for origami or paper folding instructions online to look for the paper sombreros. Also, this is so old school I know but check out the library. Or ask your grandparents what a fiesta would've looked like when they were young. Trust me they'll remember. What about playing Games? LIke, who knows the most about the b-day girl, Who can eat the most taquitos in 2 mins, or having a salsa lesson and giving away lil prizes?
 You know you could get alot of ideas by going into a local Mexican market. I'll PM you for more -Jenn
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007 01:38:04 PM by jennygurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
ThisChiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007 06:20:27 PM »

Oh my gosh!! Those are all great too!! I can get one of those biiiiiiiiiiiig plastic lawn chairs that are usually green((you know the kind. If you were raised like me, they were the ones your grama/grampa used to sit in the front and just watch people while eating their paletas. =D )) 

Anyway, off topic. I wonder if I can make posole with firm tofu. Hm....

I LOVE the religious candle thing ((my sister loves those. She has a little "shrine" of the Virgin Mary surrounding her Yvonne De Carlo as Lilly Munster photo.))  Im thinking to get a few of those and maybe stick skewers in the candle with some loteria cards. as a place marker. Make sense?? The candle would be the "vase" to the loteria "flower"

Where do I get sparklers?? OOop! Right around the 4th of July. Is that considered a firework cause they're illegal in my city.

Heh. I just showed my mom all my ideas and she's surprised that there is so much going into this already. *I just now got confirmation that my friend will DJ* Sweet. Said he's gonna make a bunch of mixed CDs for us just in case he has to leave.

This thing keeps gettin better and better.... and bigger and bigger... =/   Oh well!! It'll be great.

Thanks everyone!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkpoodle230
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007 06:57:33 PM »

Im having a fiesta this weekend. But ahem its only for my 14th...so our games may be a tad different from yours. As far as decorations go i have made a dozen or so crepe paper flowers, i went to a thrift store and got this really big (okay like 3 ft long 2 ft tall) yellow vintage donkey. He's adorable and had flowers painted on the sides of him. Ummm i also have some papel picado ( thoose cool crepe paper banners w/cuts in them) and some cool tissue handy decoration things. Food- becuase im lame is limited to tacos and chips and salsa. Im debating weather or not to have a piata because i do not support the mistreatment and cruelty to small flamable animals.  Roll Eyes Grin Just kidding. Lets see...partie bags...mini marcas, mexican gum,beaded flower hair pins( Which i made) and braclets which i also made. Well i hope this sorta helped,

~Colleen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft Your Onstage Persona as a Comedian
How to Use Storytelling to Promote a City and Its Scenes
Banksy Art and Its Lessons on Leadership
Chris Hinkle on How Music Education Applies in Product Design Career
Dungeons & Dragons Tabletop Gaming Explained
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...