A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: absolute knock-off--Vera Bradley Style + Better Fabric and Mini-Tute!{IMGS}  (Read 19833 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewnikki
Nikki

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2007 08:41:02 PM »

I am always looking for inspiration and I keep seeing all these awsome V.B. purses, but with less than fabulous prints, in my opinion that is... Anyhoo, I was stalking her site this afternoon and found a really cute bag that in no way would I ever pay $48 for. So I got out some scraps, cause I always wreck the good stuff, and came up with this...and I thought the fabric was going to totally clash, but I actually love it. It's on the small side, only 8x9 inches, but its a complete and total rip-off of her design, with one exception, okay well two, fabric I like and the straps are a little longer, lol.

I call her Sharon, the illegitimate sister of Sherry

closer

side--so damned cute!!

the inside: which prolly isn't like a V.B., cause Iv'e never seen the inside of one

What sucks the most is my mom fell in love with it and was like "You should sell these!",  I was like, "uh Mom, I don't wanna go to jail.".  Oh well, I might could tweak it a bit and makeit my own, but I love the pattern the way it is....what do you guys think?

PS, two friends of mine that I assume don't want to see me behind bars for some copyright deal say that the lines of mine are different and its not a total rip-off.....I tink they are just being nice, afterall I really tried to make it like hers, lol  Help!

Nikki

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 01:34:19 PM by sewnikki » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
Etsy
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
miserylovesme
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007 09:50:34 PM »

I hate Vera Bradley's fabric choices. Yours is rad! I tried a V.B. knockoff with a skull print a while back. Suhweet. But I got ketchup on it.

I don't think there would be a problem with you selling these. You aren't using a logo or anything!  Smiley Go for it. Someone would bail you out.  Cheesy

And, hey, our names are the same. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 09:52:19 PM by miserylovesme » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnikki
Nikki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 10:52:00 PM »

you know, great minds and people with great names think alike  Wink...I have a skull one in the works right now...that was the good fabric I didn't want to mess up, haha...and I figured out some ways to change up the pattern a bit, so its not so much the same....

Nikki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007 06:26:07 AM »

Hey, this is a cute, cute bag!  I think the fabrics look great together, as well as your quilting stitching!  My first thought on the "copying" thing was--eventually, everyone's bags looks similar.  I mean, the same techniques wind up being used by so many people, just in different combinations.  If I quilt a bag in criss-cross stitching, am I exactly copying VB?  There are just millions of seamstresses/bagmakers out there, and ineveitably there will be 2 (or 10) bags that look alike.  So, that said, unless you've used a pattern and followed those directions word for word, you aren't copying.  You can't help it if you're naturally crafty, can you?  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007 08:57:18 AM »

This bag just rocks my socks off.  I love the two patterns together.  I can't seem to match up printed fabrics very well myself.  And the shape of the bag is just divine!

As far as selling them goes, just don't sell it as a Vera Bradley knockoff.  You can sell it as a "cute quilted purse" or whatever and people may make the connection but many may not.  If I wasn't obessed with Vera's purses right now I would have made the connection.

Now for the copying part, do I have to ask Vera or you if I can copy this one.  I love it so much that I think I need one of my own!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
sewnikki
Nikki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007 01:31:59 PM »

thanx guys!  I just keep looking at it and I love it so much. I went out and bought some more fabric today tomake a few more, with a few changes, to make it a little more Nikki and a little less Vera. And to ScissorSister7, its so easy to make. here is a little image to show the basic pattern. The possibilities are endless when it comes to size and such, but the measurements shown are for the one I made.

Nikki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy
sewsara

SEWSARA~ original designs. handmade creations.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007 02:25:10 PM »

GREAT BAG. AWESOME FABRIC. WHOO HOO!
                   { enough said.}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Without love life's like ... a week that's only Mondays; always ice cream, never sundaes; like a circle with no center; like a door marked 'Do Not Enter'!" - Hairspray
ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007 02:27:55 PM »

And to ScissorSister7, its so easy to make. here is a little image to show the basic pattern. The possibilities are endless when it comes to size and such, but the measurements shown are for the one I made.

So you know that this means I HAVE to make one for myself, right?  I almost want to copy your exactly because it is so darn cute. I really like this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
laura1121
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 02:28:57 PM »

VB is disgusting and overpriced.  and your bag is gorgeous!!  i totally wasn't expecting to like it when i opened this thread haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lynndell
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 02:32:58 PM »

I love everything about this bag, you did a great job.
Lynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Girl
How to Draw a Face Portrait
How to Draw a Domestic Dog
How to Draw a Domestic Cat
How to Use an Airbrush
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...