A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: absolute knock-off--Vera Bradley Style + Better Fabric and Mini-Tute!{IMGS}  (Read 21388 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewnikki
Nikki

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2007 08:41:02 PM »

I am always looking for inspiration and I keep seeing all these awsome V.B. purses, but with less than fabulous prints, in my opinion that is... Anyhoo, I was stalking her site this afternoon and found a really cute bag that in no way would I ever pay $48 for. So I got out some scraps, cause I always wreck the good stuff, and came up with this...and I thought the fabric was going to totally clash, but I actually love it. It's on the small side, only 8x9 inches, but its a complete and total rip-off of her design, with one exception, okay well two, fabric I like and the straps are a little longer, lol.

I call her Sharon, the illegitimate sister of Sherry

closer

side--so damned cute!!

the inside: which prolly isn't like a V.B., cause Iv'e never seen the inside of one

What sucks the most is my mom fell in love with it and was like "You should sell these!",  I was like, "uh Mom, I don't wanna go to jail.".  Oh well, I might could tweak it a bit and makeit my own, but I love the pattern the way it is....what do you guys think?

PS, two friends of mine that I assume don't want to see me behind bars for some copyright deal say that the lines of mine are different and its not a total rip-off.....I tink they are just being nice, afterall I really tried to make it like hers, lol  Help!

Nikki

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 01:34:19 PM by sewnikki » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
Etsy
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
miserylovesme
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007 09:50:34 PM »

I hate Vera Bradley's fabric choices. Yours is rad! I tried a V.B. knockoff with a skull print a while back. Suhweet. But I got ketchup on it.

I don't think there would be a problem with you selling these. You aren't using a logo or anything!  Smiley Go for it. Someone would bail you out.  Cheesy

And, hey, our names are the same. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 09:52:19 PM by miserylovesme » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnikki
Nikki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 10:52:00 PM »

you know, great minds and people with great names think alike  Wink...I have a skull one in the works right now...that was the good fabric I didn't want to mess up, haha...and I figured out some ways to change up the pattern a bit, so its not so much the same....

Nikki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007 06:26:07 AM »

Hey, this is a cute, cute bag!  I think the fabrics look great together, as well as your quilting stitching!  My first thought on the "copying" thing was--eventually, everyone's bags looks similar.  I mean, the same techniques wind up being used by so many people, just in different combinations.  If I quilt a bag in criss-cross stitching, am I exactly copying VB?  There are just millions of seamstresses/bagmakers out there, and ineveitably there will be 2 (or 10) bags that look alike.  So, that said, unless you've used a pattern and followed those directions word for word, you aren't copying.  You can't help it if you're naturally crafty, can you?  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007 08:57:18 AM »

This bag just rocks my socks off.  I love the two patterns together.  I can't seem to match up printed fabrics very well myself.  And the shape of the bag is just divine!

As far as selling them goes, just don't sell it as a Vera Bradley knockoff.  You can sell it as a "cute quilted purse" or whatever and people may make the connection but many may not.  If I wasn't obessed with Vera's purses right now I would have made the connection.

Now for the copying part, do I have to ask Vera or you if I can copy this one.  I love it so much that I think I need one of my own!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
sewnikki
Nikki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007 01:31:59 PM »

thanx guys!  I just keep looking at it and I love it so much. I went out and bought some more fabric today tomake a few more, with a few changes, to make it a little more Nikki and a little less Vera. And to ScissorSister7, its so easy to make. here is a little image to show the basic pattern. The possibilities are endless when it comes to size and such, but the measurements shown are for the one I made.

Nikki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy
sewsara

SEWSARA~ original designs. handmade creations.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007 02:25:10 PM »

GREAT BAG. AWESOME FABRIC. WHOO HOO!
                   { enough said.}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Without love life's like ... a week that's only Mondays; always ice cream, never sundaes; like a circle with no center; like a door marked 'Do Not Enter'!" - Hairspray
ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007 02:27:55 PM »

And to ScissorSister7, its so easy to make. here is a little image to show the basic pattern. The possibilities are endless when it comes to size and such, but the measurements shown are for the one I made.

So you know that this means I HAVE to make one for myself, right?  I almost want to copy your exactly because it is so darn cute. I really like this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
laura1121
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 02:28:57 PM »

VB is disgusting and overpriced.  and your bag is gorgeous!!  i totally wasn't expecting to like it when i opened this thread haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lynndell
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 02:32:58 PM »

I love everything about this bag, you did a great job.
Lynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS5 Review
How to Use Content Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5
How to Create an HDR Image in Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Rotobrush Tool in After Effects
Where to Find 3D Visualization Resources
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...