A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Wallet/Organizer Holder with Pattern  (Read 175820 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2007 05:00:59 PM »

Ooooh!  Thank you!  I use the exact same Day-Timer and have been wanting for several YEARS to make a new cover/wallet for it but couldn't figure out how to do the credit card slots.  (I knew I needed to fold the fabric, but just was not wrapping my brain around it.)  Unfortunately, my sewing things are currently packed (pending a sometime move), but I am looking forward to trying this.  Ultimately, someday, this is what I have in mind (posting in case this gives anyone ideas):

I currently have a wallet (will post pics at the bottom) with two "sides" - one I use for my Day-Timer, etc. and the other has pockets (for currency, receipts, etc.) plus a zippered pocket for change.  It is actually a tiny bit too small around for my Day-Timer, so the DT is getting smashed, sooo...

I would like to make a Day-Timer cover like what sewpixie has here that will stand alone.  Also a piece like the second "side" of the wallet.  Each of these would have a couple of "female" snap pieces at the open edges.  Then I would make an OUTSIDE cover, with two zippers, with a little tab extending into the center (between the two zippers), with the male snap pieces.  This way, several covers could be made and swapped out easily, without having to juggle all the contents.  Or the DT alone could be removed and carried around, tossed into a diaper bag, etc.  I also figured I'd insert plastic canvas for stiffening, since it's washable.  Here are pictures of the current one (storebought):

outside:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/A2JC4life/wallet1.jpg

left side, with Day-Timer in it:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/A2JC4life/wallet2.jpg

left side, with Day-Timers removed so you can see the slots:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/A2JC4life/wallet3.jpg

right side:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/A2JC4life/wallet4.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indi
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008 12:43:37 AM »

I'm a little late to the party but I stumbled across this while searching for a decent wallet pattern.  I absolutely love yours!  And I love the variations others have added.  I can't wait to give this a try!  Thanks.

Btw, I've been looking for the 'tutorial' section but I'm not having much luck.  Can you point me in the right direction?  Thanks.  <---nevermind...I found it. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 12:44:44 AM by Indi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurrMinn
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2009 10:38:29 AM »

I know this thread is really old, but I just had to thank you for the wonderful tutorial and share my finished project.

I changed the design a little so it would fit my needs.  The finished dimensions when closed are 8 in. x 4.5 in.

Here is the outside view:

I didn't attach elastic as a closure, instead I made a belt type thing that Velcros to itself.  It isn't attached to the wallet itself, so it is a little annoying to hold on to when I open the wallet, but I purposely didn't attach it so that I could easily change the belt to give the wallet a new look when needed.

Here is the change pocket on the back: (the zipper tutorial was extremely helpful!)

The belt closure and the change pocket fabric is from an old pillowcase.  The tan fabric of the wallet is from an old skirt, as was the zipper for the pocket.

Finally, here is the inside:

Once again, thanks so much for the great tutorial!  I have always wanted to make my own wallet and now I finally have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShiningStar
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2009 06:05:35 PM »

You did a great job. Cute color combo.  I also like the floral print in one of the pockets.  It dosen't matter how old a post is you can still add something unless it's locked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
elodee

Random bits of crafty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2009 06:18:32 PM »

I want I want I want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.elodee.etsy.com

Adding new things everyday!

I heart wists!
http://www.wists.com/elodee
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Hand Turkey
How to Make a Diorama
How to Make a Christmas Yule Log
How to Make a Cardboard Desk
How to Do Drag Queen Lips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...