A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate + Turquoise + Orange = June 23, 2007  (Read 29196 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , guestbook , favors , bookmark , apron , invitation  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2007 08:25:51 PM »

I've got a lot of things mid-process for the wedding, but I wanted to start my post with my crafty goodness! All photos take you to flickr for bigger and more photos.

TheBoy and I are getting married outside, in a somewhat casual ceremony, in a stand of old-growth oaks in the Willamette River Valley here in Oregon. On a clear day you can see the coast range out to the west of the ceremony location. (link to photo of the gazebo where the ceremony will take place.)

I've already posted this in the craft-along and as it's own project thread in knitting, but I just finished knitting my shawl for the wedding. Madli's Shawl from Interweave Knits Summer 04. click here for photo.

We have no theme but the aesthetic is classic but funky. I love bright, saturated colors and the idea of having a pastel wedding just didn't appeal to me. The first purchase I made towards the wedding were my shoes click here for photo.

The most totally finished item is our favors. Each guest will get a box with 3 1" button magnets inside, as well as m&ms in our colors. The buttons were a gift from fellow crafster Kaesea; we spent an afternoon putting them together when I went to visit her last month and then TheBoy and I glued the magnets in over the past week. The ant stamp came from MadMatigan79 in the scavenger hunt swap. The m&ms and packaging haven't arrived yet, but here are the boxes and magnets.

A field [okay a cookie sheet!] of magnets:

Magnets mounted on cards:

And the favor boxes. They're 3"x3"x2" Kraft paper boxes [bought on ebay] embellished with a paper band that has been stamped with an ant:

The invitations are in! I gave up trying to get great photos of them, so you'll have to settle for good photos. Smiley It's all printed on natural white, classic columns paper from an offset press. The best man's dad printed them for us as a wedding gift, but I did all of the design work. The logo is a piece of vector art from istockphoto.com that I tweaked to work for us. I can create stuff like that from scratch but decided it was worth the dollar that I paid to save the time in having to do so. Wink Here's everything, the 5x7 invitations, the 4x6 RSVP cards and the 12x6 [folded to 4x6] inserts with all kinds of info on it. They should be going out in the mail tomorrow *fingers crossed*

And just the invitation fronts [the backs are stamped with an orange ant]:

And, the guest book. Kaesea's friend got married a awhile ago and bought these great albums from Old Navy. She decided not to use them and offered them to Kaesea. Kaesea said "gee, TheBon would love these" and hence, they came to me. I found these great metal frames when I was visiting Kaesea in February and decided to use them to embellish the books. Anyway, here's the front:

The first page is going to have the inside of our invitation attached and then the second page will have a polaroid of TheBoy and I, and then has a lyric from one of our songs underneath in one of the metal frames. The polaroid that's in there currently is a temp. We're going to take a polaroid of each guest/couple as they come in and they'll sign on the page underneath where the photo will be inserted. [Yes, someone will be there to make sure folks aren't confused!] Here's our page, Kaesea did the blue stamps, she's wonderful!

I have another item to add here. My mom cross-stitches like a fiend and insisted that she cross-stitch bookmarks to be part of our favors. They came in a mail last week and they are fabulous. She matched the font to the exact font I used on everything. She made 80 of these total:

And not something that will be featured at the wedding, but something my mom made for us:

More photos!
We're not paying the caterer to cut the cake, instead a couple of people who have a fair amount of experience in doing so have volunteered to step up. Because of this, I decided they needed aprons, to keep their "I'm at a wedding" clothes from getting covered in cake and frosting. So, I took our logo, changed the size and printed it on iron-on transfers:

And I took a shot of some of the m&m pouches. They're a glassine pouch sealed with a sticker that I stamped ants onto. They'll go in the favor boxes with the magnets [yipes! gotta finish assembling those!]

Other things I've done or will be doing myself:
  • Save the Date postcards
  • Invitations, rsvp cards
  • Designed and compiled content for wedding website
  • Centerpieces
  • Flowers
  • Cake design [totally paid someone else to execute that one though!]
  • Dyed and embellished napkins as accent under centerpieces
  • Favors
  • Guest book [store bought book embellished]
  • things I am sure I am forgetting

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand! It's over! I don't have time to upload a ton of photos, so I snagged this one that fyberduck took:

Can you tell that I'm thrilled it's over? 95% of everything was great, and I figure that's pretty good!

The jar for collecting the guest book notes:

Pens for writing on the gift card notes:

The gift card vase. My mom insisted we needed something giant and this vase was on sale at Ben Franklin Crafts. My mom insisted that by paying for it, it made it a wedding gift for us. Now I'm not sure what to do with it but I do love it:

Close-up on the ribbons. The off-white is wired, and glued to the vase with a xyron glue runner. The metallic is hot glued to the ivory [the glue runner did not stick]. This vase has now made 2 hour and a half car rides and two half-hour car rides and the ribbons show no sign of falling off:

The embellishment on the bathroom basket [a tray bought on clearance at Target] Satin ribbons also came from target and were pinned at the joints. The bow is stapled and glued together:

My bouquet. I went to a ton of places looking for ribbon to wrap the bouquets. I wanted turquoise satin but couldn't find it anywhere, until we went into a small, locally owned needlepoint shop. I paid way more for it, but I think it was worth it. My mom helped me arrange these [my brain was FRIED by the time we got to the flower part of the time schedule] and then I wrapped them. Thank goodness for the internet, I'd never hand tied bouquets before. I used double-stick tape [fashion tape actually] to tape the tails down to the backside of the bouquets [no photos of that] but it left it really smooth and tailored looking:

From the top:

Maid of honor's bouquet:

From the top:

Placecards for the immediate family. We opted not to assign the majority of seats and everyone mingled really well. We had computer people sitting with knitters, and my boss with some more distant family, and our friends that TheBoy has known forever jammed themselves all at one table. It was great. We also didn't use table numbers. We had about 70 people for a buffet and we just started eating. Everyone was able to get food in a fairly quick and orderly manner. It was great:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007 10:21:07 PM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
TheBon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007 08:26:30 PM »

Our cake. It was so prefectly what I sketched for the cake lady. They applied all of the tiny blue dots on site. Sadly, I didn't get to watch that.

And a snap of the tents set up, before the wedding. It was really windy, and my friend just snapped this quickly, hence the blue napkin being a little crumpled here.

One of these days I'll actually add more photos from the day of.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007 10:19:03 PM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists!
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 10:58:33 PM »

I just happened to be cruising through "Recent Posts with Pics" and I said, "Hey! I recognize those magnets!" Craftster... it's a small world after all.

I'm so glad you got that cardstock with the Eames-style print on it -- it looks just great with those magnets and it's perfect for your wedding. Nice work, sister!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007 11:25:48 PM »

oh i love the favours Cheesy and your shoes are adorable as well ^^

congratulations, and keep posting so we can all oooh and all over everything Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007 04:40:51 AM »

Love your favors!  I was patiently waiting to see them and low and behold, they were waiting for me this morning! Cheesy

Your color scheme is lovely and your aesthetic is fun... can't wait to see everything else you've created (and of course, the wedding photos!!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
beatluv
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007 04:44:14 AM »

I love your location.  I'm from the west coast originally and worked for the Siskiyou National Forest for a while.  It is going to be beautiful.

Oh yeah, your work so far is great.  However, you MUST know that!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007 11:03:24 AM »

Oh, TheBon.  How i envy your crafty and organized ways.

...and your shoes, too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
TheBon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007 11:35:05 AM »

Oh, TheBon.  How i envy your crafty and organized ways.

...and your shoes, too.  Cheesy

Part of the allure of the shoes was that I will get to wear them constantly after the wedding. Plus, I'd wanted a pair of fluevogs for years but couldn't justify the cost...Until the wedding came along.

The organization has been greatly helped by excel spreadsheets, word documents full of lists and an 18 month engagement period. I didn't craft a whole lot in the early part, but I started researching and making lists right away. I can not recommend writing things down enough. It has kept me from going crazy.

And the crafty ways are greatly enhanced by two facts--the degree in architecture and the 4 years working as a graphic designer. Really changed the way I see things.

We're picking up our invitations tomorrow. I did all the design work, picked the paper and then turned them over to the best man--who's father owns a graphics shop and offered to print them for us. I am super excited and more than a little nervous to see what they look like off the press!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists!
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 11:55:11 AM »

what sorts of spreadsheets, if you don't mind my asking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
TheBon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 12:28:19 PM »

I have a massive guest list spreadsheet with names, addresses, how many people are in the party, how many have accepted, how many have declined, meal choice, gift given, thank you card sent. I also have a spread sheet for money which lists the service, total cost, who paid, how they paid, deposit amount, amount left to pay, and the date that it needs to be paid by. The second one is woefully out of date, that's one of my projects for later today.

And then the word document has a super long annotated list. For instance, one of the line items:
Book officiant
   Emailed officiant Sunday Feb 11
   Sent email to schedule consultation on Feb 12
   Consultation scheduled for March 1
        Deposit paid March 1

The strike-through let's me look super quickly and see if that line item is done. The sublists help me keep track of things that are in progress and let's me know when I did things in case I need to look up when I paid something, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Flesh Tones by Setting the Gray Point
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the White Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the Black Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Target Shadows and Highlights
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Restore an Image After Adjusting Levels
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...