A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Consignment Shops/Distros  (Read 26424 times)
Tags for this thread: consignment  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewing stars
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2004 11:24:36 AM »

There are several consignment websites, and pretty across the board they take 40% and you get 60%. Your friend is mis-informed if she quoted the 60%.

I have my items on two consignment sites currently, and have already sold some of my items. If you are looking to make a million bucks, then consignment isn't the way to go, but if you are looking for exposure then at least give it a try. If it doesn't work out it was very little cost to you.

Here are some of the consignment sites I know of:

www.plainmabel.com

www.morningcraft.co m

www.glamourpussshop .com

www.cutxpaste.com

Look over the agreements carefully, you will see it is a 40:60 ratio. I raised my prices a bit to cover the mark-up, and I think consignment is great. The people running these sites are doing all of the marketing, shipping, and adverstising for you, which is where the 40% goes.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006 06:01:00 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
greenfish
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2004 07:28:10 PM »

hi,
thanks to everyone that replied. the site should be up later this week. if anyone interested could email me at kooksonline@yahoo.com with their info I can start sending out contracts. just as an FYI: I keep 30% and you keep the remaining 70% on every item you sell.
keep an eye out for the site.
xoxo

I'm in the process of a creative batch of things.. but could I send in a sample of my work for you to critique and possibly sell? And how much do we get? % wize?  Tongue Thanks! Grin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004 11:37:15 PM by quarkiegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mr. Twigg

Twig furniture makers are naturally twisted !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2004 09:07:02 PM »

I sell rustic furniture and have managed to get into a couple of places where the shop owner/manager charge anywhere from 25% TO 30%.  I am trying to expand out of New England and am finding some pretty stiff fees with shopkeepers demanding 40% and up. I can understand if the location is something like an art gallery where charging over a thousand bucks for a chair or settee might be justified (form vrs. function) but what is just and reasonable in your area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lbraith
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2004 05:09:27 PM »

In four different shops, I have a 35/65 arrangement, a 40/60 arrangement, a 50/50 arrangement, and a 20/80 arrangement! It really varies all over the board. The main thing is determining whether you can still make what you need to (your wholesale price) if a place is going to mark up your products 100%. At some shops, this doesn't seem feasible if other/similar products are lower-priced or the clientele are bargain shoppers; but at others, maybe the goods are priced a little higher and they have a different clientele. You really have to look at each situation individually to figure out what will work for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.ellebstyle.com - coming soon!
Mr. Twigg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2004 05:38:56 PM »

Thanks elleb & Mysticalself ! I'm finding the commision to vary quite a bit in any given location. I think I'll try the ad a paper or two and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rabbithorns
Rabbithorns

Love the bunnies

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004 09:47:53 AM »

I was a gift buyer in a bookstore and I know that the highest consignment split should be 60/40. (60% to you.)

No one should ever take your stuff at 50/50. 50% is a standard wholesale price and by taking a 50% cut, all they are doing is NOT paying you the way they have to pay other wholesale vendors.

Buyers also must agree to terms of the wholesale provider, meaning, they either pay by check or with a credit card up front (particularly on first orders) and after that may apply (yes, apply) to establish a net 30 account on future orders. This means they provide you, the wholesaler, with bank references and 3 other business references from whom they buy goods. Then you can check their references to see if the pay their bills on time.

Net 30 means they have to pay the bill on goods sold to them within thirty days from the date on the invoice you give them.

Don't sell yourselves short and accept lesser terms than the terms they agree to with larger or more business savvy crafters. You can place your stuff out there in the public eye without selling your soul....And don't think you can't go back to stores and renegotiate. If you have anything placed at 50/50 or worse, just tell them you're establishing yourself as a wholesaler and must be paid up front. If they balk then you can always tell them that you will continue to keep your good at their venue on consignment at standard consignment rate of 60/40.

Beware the shopkeeper who calls your bluff and asks, by the way, if you have a wholesaler's business license. Some states require anyone doing any sort of trade to be licensed. But never fear. They are only about $10-$50 and they allow you to purchase craft supplies at wholesale rates (50% off) from wholesalers. I do this by having a retailer's license so I can buy wholesale (I almost never do since I use recycled material from the thrift store) but I can sell at my full retail price if I want or I can sell as a wholesaler to shops.

The other option is to make less than ??  (used to be $1500 - check you tax books as it may have changed) a year and claim nothing on your taxes from your sales as you will be considered a hobby if you make under a certain amount of money per year. Then you don't need a license.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livin and lovin a bloke in Oz
AngelAngela

My dressform is alive!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2004 10:37:45 PM »

ok, so I want to get my crafts out there to the mass public (getting a little frustrated and panicky that no one's buying from my new site) and I've been reading that there are a lot of shops that buy in a consignment basis.  I wanted to know if you guys knew of any that had websites or could be reached via email, experiences (good or bad) that you had, and some advice or words of encouragement because I feel kinda down that  I haven't gotten a single order since I started, and I really would like to get my stuff out there (it's so pretty!!)  so, thanks beforehand!

Angel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The limit upon your abilities is solely that which you put upon yourself."
april_cocaine
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2004 03:30:53 AM »

don't worry that you haven't sold anything through your site yet, i haven't either. however, i have sold items through other methods such as livejournal and mesasge boards.
also, i'm going tot try craft fairs too, in order to get the word out and such.

another reason why you may not have sold through your site may be the ordering process. i found it hard to see exactly how to order.
it wil be worthwhile to sign up to something like Paypal, and give your site a shopping cart. failing that, an obvious order form link on each page would also help.
chin up girl!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004 03:32:42 AM by april_cocaine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2004 09:59:32 AM »

Join the club -- It's difficult to avoid getting discouraged when the sales just aren't happening.  Sad A few suggestions: You might try adding more keywords in your meta tags. I see that you have a few, but more won't hurt. You need to get the word out about your website. I see that you sell your jewelry at craft fairs -- Do you hand out business cards or fliers there? These should be given out with every purchase and to interested shoppers who aren't ready to buy on-the-spot. This way, they know how to find you later and can order online. They can also pass your card or flier on to friends who might like your products. Do you post on any message boards or blogs other than craftster? Make sure that your website address is in your signature on all of your posts. The only time you might want to leave it out is if you're posting something of a more private nature -- You don't want those posts to come up when people Google your url. Also, I don't see any reciprocal links or webring info on your page -- You might want to try both of those. Are you already listed with www.bust.com and www.ibuydiy.com? I get a good portion of my hits from those sites.

ETA 2 more tips: You might want to add a shopping cart, such as Paypal, to your site. It's not very complicated and it enables people to make CC purchases. Also, your shipping charges for small orders might be a little on the high side -- If I order 1 necklace, for instance, I wouldn't be willing to pay $6.00 shipping. But then, I'm pretty cheap.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004 10:01:55 AM by Serendipity » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meexie
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004 07:26:43 PM »

I highly recommend Cut&Paste.  Jenny is selective about what she will take, which is a good thing - she really knows her market and what will sell, so chances are the things you consign with her will be sold.  I haven't done business with Plain Mabel, but Tara has great references. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Healing Power of Essential Oils
DIY Lavender Body Scrub
Foods To Eat To Lose Weight
Vitamins For Hair Growth And Skin Care Questions
How To Fill In Eyebrows Using Pencil
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...