A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My dad isn't a normal dad  (Read 5746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

electric_squid
« on: March 29, 2007 04:46:54 PM »

Ok I don't know what to make my dad, he's a way important web developer, for a big company. He doesn't have to wear ties to work so thats out. He loves computers, board games, computer games, birds, boats, and coffee. He hates sports, and cars. I've already made him cute little stuffed animals, and drawings, and desk trinkets. Yup. Any ideas??
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinkerMonroe
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007 04:52:39 PM »

What kind of computer games is he into? I'm sure you could figure out something really unique for him out of one of them.

For example, my boyfriend is a World of Warcraft fanatic and he has gotten quite a few gifts based on that.  Some of which we inspired from here.

Maybe if you search the game name on craftster you might get a few things come up that might inspire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glue, stuck to my shoe.

Blog
I joined the revolution! I Wisted!
Lobster Magnet
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 04:54:28 PM »

Well... can you knit?  I think Knitty's Binary scarf or Magknit's Techguy socks would be quite awesome. 

Otherwise, have you tried a custom mousepad?  Here's a link http://desktoppub.about.com/od/transfers/l/aa_mousepad.htm

Does he have a rubik's cube?  That could be fun, and you could jazz it up maybe?  Ive always wanted to be able to speedcube...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
electric_squid
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007 05:00:22 PM »

He loves WoW, and Settler's of Catan, and this weird dice game. He travels over to NY a few times a year for work. He doesn't need a mouse pad because he has an optical mouse, and he has all the latest gadgets, and all the stuff for his games. I'll look into the scarf idea. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinkerMonroe
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 06:51:25 PM »

Does he like to cook in his spare time?  Someone has a really cute/funny WoW apron idea posted somewhere here.  Maybe you could use that idea, or similar, to go with something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glue, stuck to my shoe.

Blog
I joined the revolution! I Wisted!
fera festiva

Mad scientist; incorrigible fangirl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007 02:19:39 AM »

You could check out thinkgeek.com for inspiration. It sells lots of videogame, programming, and caffeine-themed stuff, which you could take ideas from (or just buy stuff, if you're feeling lazy).  Grin

I've seen a lot of posts here with geeky crafts - Hama bead game sprites are easy and fun, or how about furry 20-sided dice? Those are both things I've seen posted here. Or what about a coffee mug with a geeky slogan on it, and some nice coffee?

My Dad is similar to yours in that he's not interested in typical "Dad" things like cars, golf, ties or whatever. As much as I love him, he's so difficult to buy for!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A_BigBigLove
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007 02:51:26 AM »

if you can get a hold of a mother board or any other thing like that, this would be a great idea:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46445.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Goodbys always make my throat hurt... I need more hellos." -Charlie Brown
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007 02:55:40 AM »

Check out this cutey Linux scarf, I'm going to make a couple if I ever find time! http://dabne.net/carolina/geekknit/linuxscarf-en.htm

And someone mentioned Knitty's Binary scarf, I think it looks so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

libranbutterfly
I'm a Proud Sandwich Artist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007 01:36:18 PM »

"weird Dice Game" Real dice, or one the computer? My DH plays Dungeons and Dragons, and I think I'm going to make him a new dice bag with some really cool fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jeneca
Crafty Attached Mommy to Kamille and Lexi
Wife and Seamstress to David
Poor College Student
dotcommom
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007 07:02:39 PM »

I do not know if this will work, but my friends and I did tie-dye underwear and boxers for our "abnormal" husbands a few years back.  They were a huge hit.

I have also made boxers/PJ bottoms in a material that fit his interests.  These were fast and easy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daily Habits That Are Ruining Your Skin
Glam Nomad Makeup at Bibhu Mohaptara NYFW 2014 Show
Shiny Mirrored Nails at the Delpozo NYFW 2014 Show
NYFW Fall 2014 Backstage Beauty
Ken Paves’ Triplet Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...