A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What kind of dyeing you do?  (Read 12619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raynbow
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007 02:31:57 PM »

Yes! You can do the steaming on a pot in the stove!

Just "paint" your hankies and wrap them in plastic wrap.  Then fill your pot up with a few inches of water.  Then you just need something to set in your pot that will hold the bundles above the water.   Like attach a cooling tray to something to make it tall enough to sit above the water.

As a note, I haven't actually done this with silk, just wool, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work just the same with silk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velvet Rose
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007 03:58:24 AM »

Thanks raynbow I'll give it a try  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiberartist219
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007 07:46:57 PM »

I shall now introduce myself.

I dye cotton, rayon, and silk with Procion MX dyes. I have done fabric and yarn, but lately, mostly clothing and scarves.

I have messed around with tie dye, shibori, (both are considered resist dyeing), potato dextrin, low water immersion and straight up vat dyeing.

When I was still in school, I tried acid dyeing. It was ok. I much prefer MX dyes though. I just have more fun with them. For one, I hate the smell of wool roving, and two, the acid we used was downright scary. I'm not sure what most home dyers use. The cool thing about acid dyeing though, is that it is much easier to exhaust the dye bath.

Anyway, dyeing is my life. Once I learned how to use professional grade dyes as opposed to RIT dye, I was hooked forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vildhavre
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007 01:02:33 AM »

When I was still in school, I tried acid dyeing. It was ok. I much prefer MX dyes though. I just have more fun with them. For one, I hate the smell of wool roving, and two, the acid we used was downright scary. I'm not sure what most home dyers use.

I use acetic acid. You can buy jars here with it for home use. It isn't scary at all Smiley I actually find the chemicals needed to dye cotton (with the dyes available here) more scary Wink Is Procion MX fiber reactive? And what chemicals do you need for it?

Oh, and introducing myself it was..

Hi! My name is Kiki and I'm addicted to dyeing wool/silk/whatever is possible with acid dyes. Be it fiber, yarn or fabric.. Whatever takes the dye! I've only got a small kitchen and one pot right now, but when I went to weaving school a year ago I dyed wool every weekend, with several pots going.. *sighs longingly*

I've done a bit of batik and silk painting, not much though. I really want to learn more about resist dyeing. Right now I'm collecting books about it Wink

Since my experiment with Kool aid and self striping I'm eager to try more self striping Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
ThePaintedTiger
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007 12:49:27 PM »

I mostly dye yarn, although I also do silk cord, scarves, and neckties. 

I got into it because our community choir needed matching ties & scarves, and then moved on to yarn. 

It's fun, and quite colorful! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adventures in Dyeing & Knitting
http://ThePaintedTiger.blogspot.com
antimony
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007 03:59:06 PM »

I've been using Procion MX as an acid dye to dye silk bellydance veils, but I'm considering branching out into acid-specific dyes to see if I can get more vibrant colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008 10:14:01 AM »

I love silk. Silk, silk, silk. I have bolts and bolts of different kinds of white silks ready for my use at any time. My absolute favorite is crepe de chine but I also have a ton of dupioni and crepe back satin right now. I also do a lot of work with good old locally grown organic cotton. It is sturdy, has a wonderful weight for quilting and always takes to whatever dyes I feel like using. It is not picky like silk. I use natural both natural and chemical dyes, and several different types of liquid paints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008 05:03:20 PM »

I love shibori and have recently tried spinning...so I dye silk for the shibori and wool for the spinning. Soon I will try my hand at Nuno felting and see what I kind of fun I can have with silk and wool, at the same time!

The dyes I am currently using are called Tinfix Design, I believe made by Sennelier, a French company. The colors are so vibrant!! On both the silk and the wool! The fiber just soaks it right up...I don't know about other dyes, but when I rinse out my silk after steaming the water runs clear, no left-over dye. Tinfix is probably best suited to silk painting vs. vat dyeing, but I don't do either lol I use eye droppers or plastic applicator bottles to apply the dyes...I don't dye anything very large. Nothing larger than a 8"x54" scarf so far. When I do shibori I do a lot of arashi (pole-wrapping) and when steaming I've never bothered with wrapping the silk in plastic or newspaper (the blank stuff not the printed, although printed would work as long as it's not a 'fresh' paper). A friend asked if I was worried about the condensation inside the pot ruining the design when it drips but with the method I use the dye is practically set before it even gets steamed. Besides, I love happy accidents!

So far, except for some of my wool, I've purchased my silk, dyes and various tools/supplies from Dharma Trading Co.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surface Designer
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008 09:35:47 AM »

hi im a new member of the site. just joined.
as i have recently graduated from a printed textile degree its gr8 to find people to talk to that enjoy the same things as myself, and i wish i had found this site when i was at uni!!

i have used lots of dying methods, some natural and some not. my fav is indigo dying, and resist methods. the intense depth of colour u can get from the indigo is fantastic. combining the indigo with procion MX dyes works really well. i.e dying the cloth first with a bright colour like scarlet MX and then scrunching it into a ball and wrapping it tightly with thread then dipping it into the indigo a few times, its so exciting when u come to unwrapping it to reveal what u have created.

right im going to try and post this comment now so wish me luck...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009 07:26:15 PM »

I've just started dyeing. Well... I've used the Dylon all-purpose dyes before here and there, but now I seem to be getting into fibre in a serious way.

I was about to dye my felt bead necklace olive green from the shop to contrast with the bright red seeds from a local tree... and then I thought how lovely would it be to dye with colours from local plants as well?

It's been difficult as where I live there isn't a lot of literature in English about the sorts of plants that will yield dye... and many are undiscovered... but I'm finding colours, bit by bit by piecing together the puzzle pieces. I did finally find an olive green... in discarded onion skins with an iron sulphate mordant, but would like to find a plant that works with rusty iron nails to turn green instead!

So far on wool I've gotten cream, pink (with mashed up rocks), aqua (with copper sulphate though, trying to make my own verdigris with discarded copper wire), brown, near-black, fluoro yellow, orange, rusty red, maroon, beige, olive green, and a wonderful steel grey. I have some indigo seedlings underway, and a few books on the identification of local plants with notes next to the ones I need to look out for. Garden ornamentals are good as they often come from places with a strong dye tradition. Eucalypts yield dye (do they have an iron mordant in them, is that how it works?) but it's the wrong season to get a strong colour.

As well as the felting I'm getting into, I've just started spinning too. I will dye textiles at a later stage, but it's all about the wool at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair with Mousse
How to Style Your Hair with Wax
How to Style Your Hair with Gel
How to Style Your Hair in Liberty Spikes
How to Style Your Hair Into a Messy Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...