A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What kind of dyeing you do?  (Read 13112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raynbow
« on: March 29, 2007 01:07:35 PM »

So let's light up our new board people!  What do you dye?

I love to dye yarn and roving.  I've done kool-aid dyeing, and dyeing with acid dyes, both on wool.

I'd really like to get some cellulose dyes and learn to dye cotton fibers as well.

And, someday, I'll play with silk.  I just have to, you know, get some silk. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007 01:11:22 PM »

Stickied!

I would loooove to play with silk, but I'm not yet that brave. Ive done a bit of kool aid, yarn and roving, a liiiittle bit with acid dyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 01:23:34 PM »

I dye roving for felting, usually with acid dyes.

I dye fabric yardage with whatever is appropriate for my purpose  - acid, procion (fiber reactive), or natural dyes.

I'm starting to mess around a little with batik, would like to do more experimenting this summer when I can use my outdoor porch instead of my carpeted apartment....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 20  blog!
CroBex
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007 02:42:11 PM »

Cool, I love the new board!

I dye fiber for spinning. I use Wilton's food coloring for protein fibers and Rit for plant fibers. I hope to start playing with natural dyes this summer.

Edit - I just dyed a batch of silk today. It's not any harder than dyeing wool! If you're scared to try on expensive silk top, you can always try on silk hankies or bells. Dyed silk is gorgeous; the green batch I dyed today looks like emeralds.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 02:47:18 PM by CroBex » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 05:55:52 PM »

I fiber reactive dye, kool-aid and wiltons, acid dyes. If I find it interesting I'll try it. I currently love shibori, and am doing some weird resist/batik type stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 07:08:14 PM »

Hooray for our new board!

I dye yarn and roving; mostly wool, although I have some bamboo and silk that I'm trying to work up the nerve to tackle!
I started with Kool-Aid, branched out into Wilton's, and have now finally ventured into "real" dyes -mostly Jacquard Acid and Procion.

I've been incredibly intrigued by shibori, and I can't wait to get more inspiration off this board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feltcafe
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007 07:43:42 AM »

yay for the dye board!
i've dyed a bit with natural dyes: madder, logwood, cochineal, walnut (stinky!). i dye wool, for felting or soon (i hope!) for spinning Grin
i'm in japan this year, so i am hoping to learn a lot about japanese natural dyes, as well as have a chance to try shibori, roketsuzome (like batik) and japanese indigo...i'm a little dye-obsessed these days Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007 03:00:59 PM »

I'm so happy the dyeing board has started up  Cheesy

My favourite dying is the natural dying, mostly because it's so magical.
Boiling up assorted plantlife is just so fae.
It also takes your average stroll through the garden to a whole new level  Cheesy
It's awesome being Aussie too because eucalyptus trees (gum trees ) have a natural iron mordant.

I also have done a shibori class at UNI, and I just love the color on silk.
So rich and deep yet soft.
If you're careful, you can create some awesome shapes as well as colors with shibori.
Silk can take on a little shape and can take your shibori into thermoplastic territory.

To match in with the crafts I do, the main media that I dye is silk and wool.
If you're planning on dying silk georgette, be careful - it can shrink
(Learned that just yesterday....  Wink)

I can't batik to save my life. I'd love to master it, but it seems wax and I weren't meant to work together. It always ends up a terrible mess and I can't remove it from the fabric  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 03:02:53 PM »

I can't batik to save my life. I'd love to master it, but it seems wax and I weren't meant to work together. It always ends up a terrible mess and I can't remove it from the fabric  Undecided

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79764.0 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 03:11:22 PM »

Thanks for the links hon, but I'm batik cursed!

I've tried ironing, washing, freezing, boiling
Even my UNI lecturer couldn't help me  Cheesy

But there's hope for me yet - I haven't tried the dry cleaners!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007 03:58:34 PM »

I've tried ironing, washing, freezing, boiling
Even my UNI lecturer couldn't help me  Cheesy

Also consider using soy wax - it has a lower melt point and isn't suitable for hot baths, but will rinse out in the sink/washer and won't clog up the drains. It also doesn't give off nasty fumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 20  blog!
Jane Doe

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007 05:01:43 PM »

Ooh, thanks for the tip ptarmic wumpus
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007 11:17:50 PM »

I just had my first dyeing experience today. I dyed superwash wool with kool aid. I have a feeling that I am going to try a bunch of different dyeing methods and materials thanks to the inspiration I am getting from this board. I love the batik pieces I have been seeing. I hope to try some natural dyeing soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
TwilightDancer
i dye therefore i am

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007 04:00:06 PM »

I do mainly tie dye, but i love batik.

im so happy theres finally a dyeing forum!!!!!!!

i paint with dye-- and i love most dyeing on hemp.

cant wait to post my latest project - see it here it in progress: http://twilightdancedesigns.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007 04:02:12 PM by TwilightDancer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

valsped

Can you guess my real name from this?

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007 07:21:19 PM »

I took an ancient/natural dyes workshop today!!!  Grin
Carol Leigh is amazing and the process is magical! I'll start a new thread in the completed section with the fruits of our labors tomorow!
I have a stash of easter egg dye so I think I'll try that next, on wool for felting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am addicted swaps, including personal swaps!
katt sith

Gourds, gourds, gourds!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007 04:27:59 PM »

I use leather dyes almost exclusively, and for things other than leather.  I normally dye gourds, my table, the carpet, my hands, my clothes.. .well normally just the gourds on purpose.  I also dye things using manic panic hair dye because of the bright colors ^_^ 

I used to use koolaid, but I made even more of a mess.

I want to learn how to do silk dyeing and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_dez
I <heart> Man Man

And so it seems, only in dreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007 03:35:14 PM »

speaking of dyeing...do you have to have a specific color of yarn (or fabric  Huh) in order to dye it a different color? i have this horrific color of blue yarn and i was wondering if it is possible i can dye it a different color...so how would i go about doing this  Undecided o and its like store bought...=s i hope that doesn't make it more difficult any help would be grateful!!!  Grin
-des
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This Ship Will Sail and This Heart Won't Die
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007 03:53:14 PM »

speaking of dyeing...do you have to have a specific color of yarn (or fabric  Huh) in order to dye it a different color? i have this horrific color of blue yarn and i was wondering if it is possible i can dye it a different color...so how would i go about doing this  Undecided o and its like store bought...=s i hope that doesn't make it more difficult any help would be grateful!!!  Grin
-des

You might want to research "overdying" - thats when you dye over another color. Its possible to do, as long as your yarn (or fabric) isnt acrylic or similar man made material. It has to be wool, silk, cotton, etc. And each different type of material will take a different sort of dye
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007 07:16:14 AM »

I dye roving, wool and silk with all sorts of things, I started with kool-aid packs in the microwave and graduated to turmeric and mushroom baths in double boiler. I love wiltons icing dyes because they are thick and I can control where they go in a hot pour method. I'm also a big fan of easter egg dyes because they produce brilliant color, like an acid dye without being dangerous for me or my cook ware. Everyonce and awhile I'll tie-dye, but only when my nieces beg and plead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Velvet Rose
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007 08:16:10 PM »

At the moment I only work with plant and food safe dyes as I don't have a dedicated space for dyeing so I have to do it in my kitchen. I don't want other kind of dyes near my children.

I have been experimenting with Kool Aid on silk hankies. It works really well.

But I need to work out a method of putting several different colours on the silk hankie without using a microwave - all my dyeing is done in an old pot on the stove top. Does anyone have any tips they can share?

I have not the courage to dye roving with Kool Aid on the stove top yet. I am worried that it will end up felted. But I'm getting a Kool Aid roving dye kit from knitwit in a swap so I am looking forward to trying it out.

I recently went to a talk on using plant dyes with shibori - which was really interesting. I'm looking forward to trying that out too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raynbow
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007 02:31:57 PM »

Yes! You can do the steaming on a pot in the stove!

Just "paint" your hankies and wrap them in plastic wrap.  Then fill your pot up with a few inches of water.  Then you just need something to set in your pot that will hold the bundles above the water.   Like attach a cooling tray to something to make it tall enough to sit above the water.

As a note, I haven't actually done this with silk, just wool, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work just the same with silk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velvet Rose
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007 03:58:24 AM »

Thanks raynbow I'll give it a try  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiberartist219
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007 07:46:57 PM »

I shall now introduce myself.

I dye cotton, rayon, and silk with Procion MX dyes. I have done fabric and yarn, but lately, mostly clothing and scarves.

I have messed around with tie dye, shibori, (both are considered resist dyeing), potato dextrin, low water immersion and straight up vat dyeing.

When I was still in school, I tried acid dyeing. It was ok. I much prefer MX dyes though. I just have more fun with them. For one, I hate the smell of wool roving, and two, the acid we used was downright scary. I'm not sure what most home dyers use. The cool thing about acid dyeing though, is that it is much easier to exhaust the dye bath.

Anyway, dyeing is my life. Once I learned how to use professional grade dyes as opposed to RIT dye, I was hooked forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vildhavre
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007 01:02:33 AM »

When I was still in school, I tried acid dyeing. It was ok. I much prefer MX dyes though. I just have more fun with them. For one, I hate the smell of wool roving, and two, the acid we used was downright scary. I'm not sure what most home dyers use.

I use acetic acid. You can buy jars here with it for home use. It isn't scary at all Smiley I actually find the chemicals needed to dye cotton (with the dyes available here) more scary Wink Is Procion MX fiber reactive? And what chemicals do you need for it?

Oh, and introducing myself it was..

Hi! My name is Kiki and I'm addicted to dyeing wool/silk/whatever is possible with acid dyes. Be it fiber, yarn or fabric.. Whatever takes the dye! I've only got a small kitchen and one pot right now, but when I went to weaving school a year ago I dyed wool every weekend, with several pots going.. *sighs longingly*

I've done a bit of batik and silk painting, not much though. I really want to learn more about resist dyeing. Right now I'm collecting books about it Wink

Since my experiment with Kool aid and self striping I'm eager to try more self striping Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
ThePaintedTiger
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007 12:49:27 PM »

I mostly dye yarn, although I also do silk cord, scarves, and neckties. 

I got into it because our community choir needed matching ties & scarves, and then moved on to yarn. 

It's fun, and quite colorful! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adventures in Dyeing & Knitting
http://ThePaintedTiger.blogspot.com
antimony
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007 03:59:06 PM »

I've been using Procion MX as an acid dye to dye silk bellydance veils, but I'm considering branching out into acid-specific dyes to see if I can get more vibrant colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008 10:14:01 AM »

I love silk. Silk, silk, silk. I have bolts and bolts of different kinds of white silks ready for my use at any time. My absolute favorite is crepe de chine but I also have a ton of dupioni and crepe back satin right now. I also do a lot of work with good old locally grown organic cotton. It is sturdy, has a wonderful weight for quilting and always takes to whatever dyes I feel like using. It is not picky like silk. I use natural both natural and chemical dyes, and several different types of liquid paints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008 05:03:20 PM »

I love shibori and have recently tried spinning...so I dye silk for the shibori and wool for the spinning. Soon I will try my hand at Nuno felting and see what I kind of fun I can have with silk and wool, at the same time!

The dyes I am currently using are called Tinfix Design, I believe made by Sennelier, a French company. The colors are so vibrant!! On both the silk and the wool! The fiber just soaks it right up...I don't know about other dyes, but when I rinse out my silk after steaming the water runs clear, no left-over dye. Tinfix is probably best suited to silk painting vs. vat dyeing, but I don't do either lol I use eye droppers or plastic applicator bottles to apply the dyes...I don't dye anything very large. Nothing larger than a 8"x54" scarf so far. When I do shibori I do a lot of arashi (pole-wrapping) and when steaming I've never bothered with wrapping the silk in plastic or newspaper (the blank stuff not the printed, although printed would work as long as it's not a 'fresh' paper). A friend asked if I was worried about the condensation inside the pot ruining the design when it drips but with the method I use the dye is practically set before it even gets steamed. Besides, I love happy accidents!

So far, except for some of my wool, I've purchased my silk, dyes and various tools/supplies from Dharma Trading Co.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surface Designer
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008 09:35:47 AM »

hi im a new member of the site. just joined.
as i have recently graduated from a printed textile degree its gr8 to find people to talk to that enjoy the same things as myself, and i wish i had found this site when i was at uni!!

i have used lots of dying methods, some natural and some not. my fav is indigo dying, and resist methods. the intense depth of colour u can get from the indigo is fantastic. combining the indigo with procion MX dyes works really well. i.e dying the cloth first with a bright colour like scarlet MX and then scrunching it into a ball and wrapping it tightly with thread then dipping it into the indigo a few times, its so exciting when u come to unwrapping it to reveal what u have created.

right im going to try and post this comment now so wish me luck...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009 07:26:15 PM »

I've just started dyeing. Well... I've used the Dylon all-purpose dyes before here and there, but now I seem to be getting into fibre in a serious way.

I was about to dye my felt bead necklace olive green from the shop to contrast with the bright red seeds from a local tree... and then I thought how lovely would it be to dye with colours from local plants as well?

It's been difficult as where I live there isn't a lot of literature in English about the sorts of plants that will yield dye... and many are undiscovered... but I'm finding colours, bit by bit by piecing together the puzzle pieces. I did finally find an olive green... in discarded onion skins with an iron sulphate mordant, but would like to find a plant that works with rusty iron nails to turn green instead!

So far on wool I've gotten cream, pink (with mashed up rocks), aqua (with copper sulphate though, trying to make my own verdigris with discarded copper wire), brown, near-black, fluoro yellow, orange, rusty red, maroon, beige, olive green, and a wonderful steel grey. I have some indigo seedlings underway, and a few books on the identification of local plants with notes next to the ones I need to look out for. Garden ornamentals are good as they often come from places with a strong dye tradition. Eucalypts yield dye (do they have an iron mordant in them, is that how it works?) but it's the wrong season to get a strong colour.

As well as the felting I'm getting into, I've just started spinning too. I will dye textiles at a later stage, but it's all about the wool at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookel
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009 05:00:00 PM »

I make (and sell) tie-dye. I've experimented with a variety of shibori techniques and vat dyes and discharges and so on, but basically tie-dye. I got into it by accident - bought a basic kit of supplies to make stuff for my tie-dye-loving kid, and then my SIL who sells sewn stuff at craft fairs asked if I could tiedye some onesies for her to sell, and it kind of snowballed from there. I dye just about everything - baby clothes, adult clothes, bags, scarves, silk, cotton. I haven't tried yarn yet, though, and I don't do wool because I'm allergic to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aehathor
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009 04:51:04 AM »

During the summer the kids and I do kool-aid dyeing, which they love. The rest of the year I dye naturally with onions, black walnuts and elderberries. This year I'd like to try Queen Anne's lace and marigolds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt; don't.
dammitall
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009 08:35:02 AM »

So far I've koolaid dyed my needlefelting wool--sure makes it vivid!  Today I've tried koolaid on reclaimed worsted wool trouser pieces, and that tones the colors down a bit with the over dyeing.

I really will have to investigate natural dyes.  We have loads of Queen Annes' Lace, pokeweed and other delights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanjadesign
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010 03:11:28 AM »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a fashion designed and have been dying silk and painting it for years . Now I'm interested in dying wool and will do some experimenting. I'm very curious about everything you people do here so i will take some time to read it. Happy to have found you Smiley
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010 12:19:20 AM by Tanjadesign » THIS ROCKS   Logged

2Dye4
2Dye4 Distinctive Tie Dye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010 09:52:43 AM »

Hi!

I'm a newbie too...First I want to say to TanyaDesign, beautiful dyeing and to raminthethicket, love your colors and the gradations of your wool and that's quite an informative article on formulating colors.

My line is, "I dye a little more everyday", referring to being in the "tie dye" business for about 14 years. I sell my wares at a local Farmer's Market and numerous Festivals May through October and online year round. I also love sharing the art of tie dye to groups. My website is a work in progress but if you want to know more please visit it at 2dye4.biz.

Glad to have found you here,
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone will love it..."
twohills
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010 02:55:40 PM »

i've just gotten into the fabulous world of dyeing and i'm seriously addicted. right now i'm dyeing all kinds of wool roving for hand spinning. i use acid dyes and do pot dyeing and have dabbled in hand-painting (but i need a better set-up for it; the kitchen counter ain't cutting it!).

i've also recently gotten into tie dye, which i don't yet have any photos of but will be working on that shortly! i'm planning on practicing on some old t-shirts and skirts that need a little spicing up. i have dreads, too, so i'm sure i'll dye about a hundred thousand bandanas and hair wraps in the coming months. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://twohills.etsy.com - handspun yarn, knit, and crochet items & dreadlock accessories

http://twohillsdesigns.com/dreads/ - my portfolio of dread work
enils
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010 07:52:29 PM »

I too have just begun to play with dyeing and mostly dye wool roving using acid dyes. I have begun experimenting with hand painting and recently bought some silk hankies which I am soon planning on attempting. I have bought a fleece and after washing it I dyed it and am now planning on combining some of the colors (through hand carding). I also have a nice blend of merino and bamboo in my stash which is calling to me as my next project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Steve
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010 06:52:32 PM »

Hi everyone.  I do fiber reactive dying and batik.  I'm very novice at both, but enjoy myself.  I'm getting better at batik, but still have a lot to learn. 

While I play around with cotton shirts and such, I primarily dye heavy patches made from canvas, and heavy weave cotton martial arts gis.  I train in brazilian jiu jitsu (which is kind of like Judo, for those who aren't familiar) and we wear very heavy uniforms.  I don't like white, so I started playing around with procion fiber reactive dyes. 

Because there's a lot of contact and rolling around in jiu jitsu, fabric paints and such aren't as durable as using a resist to create a design.  And so, that's what led me to batik.

I'm looking for a community to bounce ideas off of and get help.  I've been muscling through learning pretty much all on my own and have made many mistakes as a result. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feltingirl
fiber freakalisious chick

To live for wooly pleasures.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011 05:50:57 PM »

i love love love to dye mohair!it takes up the dye beautifuly,i prefer acid dyes but natural dyes rule too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rain is just wet sunshine
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 1 of 8
How to Make a Sushi Roll
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...