A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,918
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jane Austen's Knitting Book  (Read 12637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ScotSkipper402
« on: March 29, 2007 08:28:08 AM »

Inspired by indie-knitters fabulous Mrs Darcy sweater in the thread

and how are you this evening....Mrs. Darcy? (message id #1616922)
in Completed Projects

Dang! I can't get the link to go live.

I speculated on what kind of knitwear other Austen characters might wear. And since Miss Austen's work is timeless, the patterns can go through time, too.

For Mrs Collins: a baggy saggy grey tweed cardigan. With maybe a rhinestone pin for dinner at Rosings.

Lady Catherine de Burgh would wear a floor-sweeping poncho in 15 different novelty yarns (imported, of course) with cables and lace knit on tiny needles.

According to Aunt Carrot, Aunt Norris (no relation!) would wear thrifted acrylic.

I think Aunt Norris would even wear thrifted acrylic CROCHET. (Sorry in advance to my hooking sisters.) But probably cashmere bed-socks, which nobody else could see or enjoy.

So -- what about other JA characters?

Emma?
Jane Fairfax?
Jane Bennet?
Lydia Bennet? (that would be a one-skein wonder...)

Long cabled wool socks for Captain Wentworth to wear at sea

And what would you knit for Mr Darcy?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 02:59:43 PM by ScotSkipper402 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007 08:44:05 AM »

I see the Jane Bennet sweater (aka Mrs. Bingley) as maybe something in a delicate silk yarn, and pastel pink. Lydia's would definitely have to be something flashy, maybe like in some sparkly eyelash yarn or something. I'm not sure what Emma would wear--I'm in the middle of trying to read that book, and I don't really like her character much...but I know Jane Fairfax's might need to be something elegant, maybe like a plain, shallow v-neck pullover with slightly belled sleeves. As for Mr. Darcy, a green vest might be good!

This was a great idea! I also can't believe it was inspired by my sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 09:57:40 AM »

Why is Jane Austen so freakin' sweet? Lerv her <3

Emma would wear something flirty and feminine, with a tiny, tiny guage and super fancy yarn (silk perhaps) which Mr. Knightly would publicly declare silly and frivolous, but would secretly find it quite fetching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icantotallymakethat
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007 03:54:02 PM »

Emma would probably just be busy trying to arrange what everyone else was wearing, while Mr. Knightley would be trying to persuade her that her choices were unwise.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisendral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 07:04:50 PM »

Emma would probably just be busy trying to arrange what everyone else was wearing, while Mr. Knightley would be trying to persuade her that her choices were unwise.  Wink
Must add Craftster to the list of websites I'm not allowed to read while drinking something as to avoid the delicate liquid-through-nose conundrum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 07:39:38 PM »

I'm not sure what Emma would wear--I'm in the middle of trying to read that book, and I don't really like her character much...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who actively dislikes Emma!  Some more P&P speculating: I see Mary as wearing something quite dowdy and only knitting really horrible useful items like potholders.  Jane would only knit baby clothes.  Lydia would only knit for herself - really low-cut sweaters in sparkle eyelash yarn.  And Kitty would of course knit whatever Lydia was knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007 08:35:00 PM »

What a cute thread! I just started Sense and Sensibility the other night!  I am a rather new Jane Austen fan, I am only familiar w/P&P and Emma thus far.

I think Elizabeth and Jane would knit lots of EZ classics stuff.  In very elegant yarns.

Mr. Darcy, well, if we're discussing the Colin Firth Mr. Darcy, he can wear what ever he wants knit up, as long as he takes it off slowly... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 09:41:28 PM »

According to Aunt Carrot, Aunt Norris (no relation!) would wear thrifted acrylic.

I think Aunt Norris would even wear thrifted acrylic CROCHET. (Sorry in advance to my hooking sisters.) But probably cashmere bed-socks, which nobody else could see or enjoy.

I'd like to revise my earlier statement--Aunt Norris would definitely thrift yarn, but she would make Fanny Price rip and rewind it, because of course she must make herself useful to others and has nothing more important to do.

When I tried to picture what Marianne Dashwood would wear, the cover of Knitting Over the Edge came to mind--romantic! passionate! flowery! pink! Elinor would probably wear something in a more practical color--superwash, of course. She'd probably knit for others a lot too. Marianne doesn't knit herself, but she reads aloud or plays piano while the others are knitting, since they don't have TV...

...and PlayItGeorge, I'd rather Mr. Darcy/Colin Firth to take it off quickly, but that's just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007 10:37:16 PM »

OOOOOH, what a fabulous game diversion!  Lemme see...

Eliza Bennett Darcy:  something that would, of course, enhance her eyes.  A dark tweed walking coat, maybe?
Mr. Darcy: Very fine dancing stockings.
Miss Darcy: silk, lace, elbow-length fingerless gloves - to keep her arms and hands warm as she plays the piano!
Jane Bennett Bingley: A robin's egg blue spencer, with tiny eyelets and a shawl collar.
Mr Bingley: err... anything Mrs. Bingley makes for him Wink
Mary: khaki wool everything.  The scratchier the better.
Kitty: pink.  Definitely pink.  A spencer, I think.
Lydia: something absolutely tacky, garish, and made of fun fur.
Mr Bennett: a worn, but still fashionable!, waistcoat (fair isle maybe?)
Mrs Bennett: A matron's cap, lacy.  Very frilly.

Exactly!  But, so as they don't freeze during the English winters...  I think Emma would have worn baby pink mohair or angora blends.  Doesn't she seem the type?  Mr Knightly, a cabled waistcoat (small gauge).

Jane Fairfax: jeweltoned, silk, spencers - with tiny cables and lacework.  All made by her perfectly skilled hands, ne?  And maybe some creamy silk opera gloves?  For when Mr Churchill takes her to the Opera?

A sailor's cap for Wentworth, too!  And a seaman's scarf!  We can't have him freezing, just imagine the shock for poor Anne.  Oh, and Anne should have something white, I don't know why...

And Fanny Price would definitely be wearing thift store/ worked over pieces.

And let it be said, so long as Colin Firth does undress, who cares how long it takes?? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
Kokeshi
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007 10:41:41 PM »

Catherine Morland: something with romantic/gothic details (JA was sending up the gothic novel in Northanger Abbey, after all), like extra long sleeves and ruffly bits, but somehow not looking QUITE right....with finishing that's a bit lop-sided, and colors that just don't work with each other....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Intelligent Auto? What Is Scene Mode?
Why is there a delay when I take a Picture?
What is Facial Recognition?
How Much Zoom Do I Need?
What is the Aspect Ratio setting on a Digital Cam?
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...