A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,988
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any pattern drafters, Seattle or Eastside?  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mandalu
« on: February 14, 2007 10:32:54 PM »

Hey everyone...
I have just begun my senior project class, and have decided that I would like to learn how to draft patterns since I've been buying them for awhile now. This senior project business requires a product mentor that is an expert in their field (in this case, pattern drafting) that will work with or supervise me throughout the 20+ hours. For this particular topic I think that my main option is to take a class (and so far all I can find are the Art Institute and the International Academy of Design & Technology; of both I am unsure of what they will allow a high school student to participate in...) but I was wondering if any of you here on Craftster have any ideas or people I could contact for this project.
Thank you in advance! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bananna_AnnA
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 10:51:05 PM »

Well I'm not an expert, but I've been looking at the classes at the New York Fashion Academy lately. Ignore the name, it is located in Ballard. They have pattern making classes that you can take for recreation. I'm sure they'd let high-schoolers take them. You might also be able to find a mentor there. Their website is
http://www.newyorkfashionacademy.com

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007 07:16:56 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks for this question & answer. I'm in Bellevue and would like to take pattern drafting myself...maybe some other classes too. Hadn't heard of the New York Fashion Academy. I'll have to take a look. Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
bemaha
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007 07:31:35 AM »

Also try the universities and community colleges around here. Even if you can't join in on a class, people there can probably direct you to the right person. Lots of contacts at a place like UW! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007 06:46:31 AM »

I'm a pattern drafter, only I draft patterns for dolls not people so I don't know that I would be of any help to you. Have been professionally drafting patterns for dolls for 6 years.   Anyway if you haven't found anyone to help you out I might could.  I live a bit further south but we could work something out if need be. 

April
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
valancy
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007 09:48:01 AM »

Hi there -
If you are still looking for someone, check the Apparel Design and Services Department at Seattle Central Community College.  They have a great program (I went through it) and could probably refer you to someone who would be happy to mentor you.  Students in the program have to complete quite a few hours of internship time, so they get many people offering positions.  I'm sure someone would be willing to work with a HS student.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007 01:52:14 PM »

My Mom was telling me about a really awesome class in Tacoma that taught how to create your own patterns. I've been trying to track it down but with no luck :-(
I'll ask her tonight and post the info Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...