A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric QUESTION!!!! AND MAYBE A PATTERN SUGGESTION??????????????????  (Read 566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimmykat
get out of my trash.

take it easy, your wired to detonate.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2007 06:35:52 PM »

Hello everybody!
Ok i have a couple questions

1) What kind of fabric would you recommend making pants out of?

2) does anybody have any easy pants patters suggestion that is more of a modern fit and I mean not "mom pants". like low rise.. maybe skinny pants or something like that??

ok thanks in advance. I have never made pants before its a little intimidatingggg.
<3<3<3<3<3<3
-kimmykat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

im going to live forever or die trying.
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 07:27:38 PM »

I would first go with suggestions on the back of the pattern envelope and start there.  It might also depend on what type of pants you were looking to make jeans, dress, casual.  I typically buy from the 'sportswear' section of the fabric dept. for dressy pants (pinstripes, etc.), microfiber or similar fabrics maybe even with some stretch for more casual pants.

I don't have any real great pants recommendations - I'm still in search of the perfect pattern for myself! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

M-alina

Play in the sunshine, or dance in the rain...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 08:06:49 PM »

Best thing I can think of is just going to the local Hancocks or Joann's and looking through the pattern books.  That's what I do, to get a better idea of what I want, or to find a pattern close to something i've designed.  And then for fabric, go with the what the pattern suggests... Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The yarn seduced me, I swear!!

(\_/) Help Mr. Rabbit take over.
(o.o) He eats the nonbelievers...
(> <) Copy Mr. Rabbit or be EATEN!
kimmykat
get out of my trash.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007 09:36:57 PM »

thanks everybody. I try to look at the patterns at the stores, Im so impatien Tongue
Ill search online too
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 05:55:13 AM »

Pants..pants pants pants...okay!  Pants are a challenge, but if you take your time, fit as you sew, and use a fabric with a bit of stretch, you should enjoy a reasonable amount of success.

For a first pair pick a fabric that looks like pant fabric, a gabardine, twill, a stretch denim, something no too lightweight, that feels a bit "crisp" like a good pair of pants.  Pin stripes are hot now and the fabric shouldn't be difficult to find.  When you buy your fabric, hold it up to the light, you shouldn't be able to see through it; a few little pin holes are okay, but anything more means that too much might show through when you wear them. 

look at the fabric content, and try to find something with some lycra/spandex/elastane content.  These will have a bit of stretch and be easier to fit.  They will also bounce back while worn so you don't have saggy knees or baggy butt cheeks if you've been sitting a long time.

Buy according to your waist measurement.  Don't buy the same size pattern as you buy in clothes. Hips are easier to adjust than all the fiddly little details at the waist.  A multi sized pattern allows you to use the smaller size lines at the waist and the bigger ones for the hips, if that's what you need.

For the style, McCall's styles are a bit more youthful than Butterick or Kwik Sew.   Simplicity has younger and trendier styles too.  Vogue has a couple very young and trendy styles of pants, including the very hot designer alice+olivia jeans, which are lower rise and have the wider waist band. I know what you mean by "mom" pants! Far too high on the waist, too wide at the hips and skinny at the ankles, and that horrible ice cream cone shape!

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2907=x&TI='alice+olivia'&page=1  This is the alice+olivia pants I made for someone recently.  They looked spectacular when they were done!  Now she wants three more pairs.

You might want to make a trial pair in muslin fabric, like designers do.  That way if you muck up something you won't have wrecked the good fabric, and if there are any places that are too loose or tight, you can make the adjustments to the test pants and then cut the good fabric accordingly with the adjustments.

Once you've made a couple pairs, it gets easier.  I make close to 90% of the pants I wear and it doesn't take long anymore.  I'm not even intimidated by the fly front.   

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/ This site is like a giant pattern store where no one yells at you if you want to spend the day looking at patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 06:55:43 AM »

Great answer, Kit.

I just wanted to add that the majority of knits are not cotton.   Cotton knits are dull and not generally very pretty.  (Think t-shirt), but many t-shirts have a percentage of poly, which is probably what you purchase most often, the don't shrink like cotton knits and they are usually more colorful.  On another forum a member suggested "blowing" on the fabrics.  She suggested that if you could feel your breath it is a "cooler" fabric that would breathe.  I had never heard of this, nor had I tried it, but it made perfect sense. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007 07:13:10 AM »

I also highly recommend www.simplicity.com and www.mccall.com for looking at patterns. Simplicity lets you look at the pattern envelope back with a pdf file, as well as line drawings. If you're looking for a jeans pattern, McCalls 5142 has a low rise "slim fitting" view, and it's a Palmer Pletsch pattern (so there should be decent directions on fitting the pattern). I haven't made the pattern up myself, though.

You can also check www.patternreview.com for reviews of pants patterns (when I'm looking for something specific, I usually go to the pattern websites (preferrably one that will be on sale locally soon), then check pattern review to see if the patterns I like work well.). I also read on patternreview that you can use a strip of foil (about four thicknesses) to mold/measure your crotch seam so that you get a good crotch curve the first time instead of having to tweak the fit there.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Hathaldir
I'm wossname... proverbial for it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 07:41:16 AM »

oooh, I love those Alice & Olivia pants! *makes note*
I have also never made pants before, but I want to. hotpatterns.com has some cool patterns, but I think I might try another pattern company first, in case pants make me crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007 09:03:31 AM »

I just made Simplicity 4135.  The waste is higher than I wanted, but I'm working on a second pair and I altered the waste to make it about 2 inches lower. 
This pattern fits me perfectly, but that doesn't mean it will work perfectly for everyone else Sad  I wish it were that easy!
I think the best part was that it got me over my fear of pants and now I want to try something more challenging like pants with a back yoke - i.e. jeans.

I used wool crepe and lined them with cotton (white wool crepe = see through) and they are amazingly comfortable, but they're not intended to be jeans like...  I am a huge proponent of natural fibers since they feel so amazing, but synthetics look really good.  I also found that cutting a lining and just treating the fabric and the lining as one was really easy - I'm in the midst of doing it again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
kimmykat
get out of my trash.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007 05:07:44 PM »

Thanks for all the advice everybody.

I have never heard of blowing through the fabric to see if it is breathable, but It does make sense.. and probably look questionable at the store.

I bought Sew U. It has build by wendy pants pattern in it. It looks like it pretty much walks you through the whole process so hopefully that will help me. I think i will buy a stretch denim, but its always so hard to find fabric that i picture in my mind.

Thanks again<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Casting Tape for Reality Competition Show
How to Create a Casting Tape for Reality Performance Show
Long Story Short with Darin Brooks
How to Arrange Scenes in a Film Script
How to Ask for Feedback on Your Script
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...