A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poor student approved! A tad pic heavy perhaps. (Pattern-ish added!)  (Read 16388 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 28, 2007 04:12:31 PM »

I am a student, that usually means poor. So my first sweater was of course on a budget. Made with one skein each of Bernat Super Saver with new and improved softness! Here goes.

Here it is on my bed, with the leftover yarn.

Yeah! It only took my about a week or so off and on and total cost, $9 or so CAD and the yarn leftover it technically cost less.  Grin

-Marie

Ok, here is the best attempt I got at a pattern-thing. If it sucks, let me know i'll do my best to explain better:

I used 2 Skeins of Bernat super saver, worsted weight.
You can use any worsted weight wool. And I used size 8, 24inch circs.
GAUGE
18 stitches/4 in stockinette stitch

I changed colour every 10 rows, and important* Change colour on a non-increase round.
This might not make sense now, but it will make sense later. With ten rounds, I ended one round on an increase (as in that round I increased), and the next round which will be just a knit round is when I changed colours.
DIRECTIONS:
 I cast on 92 stitches for the neckband to get the boat neck look and before I began the yoke, I decreased back to 84 (which is for size small) stitches. I knit in 3x2 rib for however long I wanted the neck to be (all personal preference)
For my sweater I actually knit for 9 rounds
YOKE:
Row 1: k 30 then placed a marker, k 12 placed a marker, k30 placed a marker, k 12 then placed the last marker. (This is going to separate the front body and back body from the sleeves.)
Row 2: Knit across

Row 3:  You will increase the first stich of the round (however you increase, typically you knit into the front and back-with help on doing this knitting help.com is a great site for instructions)
then *knit to 1 stitch before pm, increase, slide marker over to next needle, increase again.* knit to 1 stitch before end of round, Kf&b in that stitch. 
Basically, you are knitting to each marker, increasing, slipping the marker then increasing. (Before and after each marker) This will give you the raglan increasing for your arms. (I know it might seem confusing and trust me I was confused, but trust in the pattern, it actually just works out)

Round 4: Knit across

*Repeat rows 3 & 4 * approx. 21 times total. (I didnt actually do this, I just tried it on every now and then and it took me more than 21 times to get the two sleeve markers to meet under my arm)

Try on your work in progress by slipping the stitches to scarp yarn.
The sleeve markers have to meet under your arms, so you can add a few more increase rows if you need to, or if its too loose, then pull out a round or two.

Now, you knit to the first marker, slip the stitches between the two markers onto scrap yarn or stitch holders. These are your sleeve stitches well come back to those later.
      --cast on 2 (3, 4, 5) stitches to the right-hand needle, knit to next marker, slip stitches between marker to scrap yarn, cast on 2, (3, 4, 5) stitches to right-hand needle, knit to end of row.

BODY:
I knit until it was almost as long as I wanted it, then knit in 3x2 rib for about 2 inches or so, or until I felt it looked right.
***Side shaping***
When I did the side shaping I didnt take off the two place markers left after I put the sleeve stitches on scrap yarn. I left the two stitch markers that showed the sides of the sweater.

about 2 or 3 inches down from the armpit I started the waist shaping. All I did was knit to three stitches before the marker, K2tog, K1, slipped the marker, knit 1 then ssk.
I did that every 5 rows 4 or 5 times (Keep trying the sweater on- one of the most important things I learned) and it should be fine.

SLEEVES:  (Make Two)
I slipped the sleeve stitches onto DPNs. Im sure you could use circs, but I found that there werent enough stitches and it made it difficult, so DPNs worked for me.  I picked up 3 stitches (you can pick up less if there isnt a huge gap in between) (I didnt use place markers for the sleeves but you can) place a marker after the stitches picked up and knit in the round.
I decreased for the sleeves every 5th or so row, 9 or ten times, until I felt the sleeves were a good fit to my pathetic and limpy arms, if youre more muscular than me, keep trying it on and you may have to decease less.  Knit to 3 stitches before marker, K2tog, knit1, slip marker, knit1 and ssk. (This method worked for me, but Im not sure if there is a better way, that doesnt leave little lines in the knitting-if anyone knows of a better way, you can use it-and if you do, tell everyone else!)
*As I continued with the stripes I made sure to decrease on a knit round- I found it good to decrease on row 5, then again on row 10, then change colour)
I kept knitting until I was a little past my wrist, but thats only because I wanted long sleeves, then I began knitting in 3x2 rib for 20+ rounds for the cuff.
*Note*  this sweater looks great with sleeves I had to force myself to keep knitting the sleeves  : )

Not much else to it. You can weave in the loose threads which I still havnt done. Oops. Any questions, let me know.

P.S. Huge thanks to Knittyknitter, who posted the original pattern in the Beginner Raglan Knitalong! Shes awesome and so is her blog! Check it out!  Also for other sizes and other possible help, check out the KAL for the beginner raglan started by the wonderful knittyknitter herself.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 11:07:55 PM by Just_A_Girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 04:13:33 PM »

that sweater is gorgeous, and looks lovely on you.  great job! 

ETA:  also love the color combo.  yeah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
irishelf
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 04:21:26 PM »

that is wicked cute.  Did you use a pattern or just make one up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparkle Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007 04:28:32 PM »

Well done! Crafty and thrifty, my favorite combo!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mickele
Exclamation POINT!

Whoosh.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007 04:34:54 PM »

If I ever learn how to knit, I'd like to make this. It's so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog where I amuse myself.
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007 04:56:34 PM »

That looks lovely on you.  Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007 05:04:02 PM »

Thanks everyone,
I used the generic raglan sweater found in the KAL section and just added stripes. It was knit in the round and is super beginner friendly.  Smiley

-Marie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
trinabrielle
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007 05:35:09 PM »

Great job on your sweater. It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun and recycled yarns:
http://TBFibers.etsy.com

Handmade hats, scarves, and other fun accessories:
http://TrinaBrielle.etsy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trinabrielle
craftyminx

saving the day one crafty adventure at a time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007 05:47:01 PM »

Awesome colors! Great job on your first sweater. I've just started my first, I hope it turns out as well as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog:
www.craftyminx.blogspot.com
Sheila
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007 05:56:02 PM »

Budget or not, that looks flipping amazing! I LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Movement on a Cartoon Character
Blackest Night Video Interview
The Art of Henna
The Art of Brown Tape
Learn about Sufi Art
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...