A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HotPatterns - worth the plunge?  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hathaldir
I'm wossname... proverbial for it.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2007 10:53:25 AM »

I've been obsessing over the hotpatterns.com site recently. I love the looks (Artful Dodger! so cool!), and I've been doing all the research I can here and on Patternreview.com.
I'm a beginner sewer, I am currently just making practice garments but I really want to progress to making as much of my clothing as I can, and Hot Patterns has styles I like.
I'm also Canadian, and if you buy more than 6, there is free shipping. I'm a sucker for free shipping. Smiley
I've got my birthday coming up, and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and use birthday money to get 6, and have no shipping, or if I should test one out first, and pay shipping.

The reviews I've read didn't make it any easier to decide if I wanted to order any of the patterns, some say there are too many mistakes, others ended up with garments that fit perfectly with no alterations.

6 would be a lot of money, birthday money or not (I have been informed by my mum that birthday money is for fun things, not stuff like rent or groceries).  I think I'm just falling prey to the amazing marketing phenomenon that is free shipping.

It feels good to ramble at people who understand. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawaiilover07
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 04:48:40 PM »

I was just looking at their website.  It seems that if there are 6 patterns that you absolutely love, then why not buy them?  The shipping to Canada is $6 or $7.  You could save alot of money! Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 07:32:40 PM »

I've made several hot patterns now and I purchased one of their new ones (published by McCall), but haven't made it yet.  Is it worth it?  It depends - for me it is.  I love their trendy looks which I can't usually get anywhere else.  I do take extra steps that I don't always do with other patterns by always make a muslin.  Sometimes the drafting is a bit off (or their sloper is way different than my body) so I need to make changes to the pattern to make the fit look good.  Previous patterns had limited directions.  The new pattern seems better and has some illustrations, but Hot Patterns are considered more 'advanced' since they expect some sort of background in sewing so they don't explain some basic sewing steps.  If you have a good book handy you can look up anything you might be confused on or want to look into further. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hathaldir
I'm wossname... proverbial for it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007 09:13:25 PM »

I was just looking at their website.  It seems that if there are 6 patterns that you absolutely love, then why not buy them?

I went through and made a note of everything that I thought 'I'd wear that!' and I had 14 on my list by the end!  Embarrassed Now some of those are easily weeded out, and there are definitely enough 'omg want it now's that I may just go ahead and splurge.... it is almost my birthday after all. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peskymac
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 11:33:04 AM »

I just picked up sewing again about a month ago after not sewing for about 15 years, so I consider myself a beginner.  Not knowing the things that people were saying about Hot Patterns, I bought the Shanghai Tunic pattern and managed to make it, no problem.

If you have a bit of common sense, a bit of patience, and don't rush to try to finish a pattern, Hot Patterns are worth every penny - beginner or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview with ‘Words and Pictures’ Star Bruce Davison
Chelsea Cain Introduces Her Blockbuster New Series
Arun Gandhi, Bethany Hegedus, and Evan Turk on Grandfather Gandhi
This Woman Is Trying To Bring Attention To Female Genital Mutilation In US
Eating Wildly: Urban Foraging
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...