A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Singer 500 series? Something, anything  (Read 687 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gaylie
« on: March 28, 2007 09:38:19 AM »

I have a late 50's singer that I've had repaired several times.  the same problem keeps occuring where it balls up the thread underneath and skips stitches.  I am tired of dealing with it and started looking for a new machine.  The fanciest stitch I do is to put in a zipper.  I don't do decorative stitching, smocking, or machine embroidery. I don't need to sew heavy weight denimn.  All I need is a machine that will sew a straight stitch and a zig zag stitch.  I am used to making 4-step button holes.  I've never had a free arm machine. 

I need a basic, basic reliable sewing machine.  I've got a little EuroPro, but it doesn't strike me as a long term machine.  I looked at the Singer 500 series yesterday, but the salesman started getting condescending which sent me right out of the store. 

I prefer in cabinet, but I can get another portable.  $200 is my limit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
westbrook
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007 02:34:30 AM »

singer 500 is the same machine as the singer 401 only the 500 has a different case. Called 'the Rocketeer" for its futureistic look.

One of the best models Singer ever made!!!! so much so that I have (the 400 series) 4-401's, 1-401G(ermany) and 1-431G(ermany). Love them!

when I go to class they have the bernina 1230 and vikings... I bring my trusty 401! never fails.

Like I said the 401 and the 500 are the same machine, metal gear driven, 30 built in stitches, cams to add more. It is a slant needle which is a dream to sew on. The needle plate raises to do free motion quilting with the flip of a lever.

check ebay for pricing and make sure he isn't ove charging you. there is a singer slant sewing group at yahoo groups if you would like to know more about the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gaylie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007 02:12:42 PM »

Oh, dear.  The 401 is what I have that I've had to fix over and over.  It will sew ok for awhile and then it will start picking up huge gobs of thread underneath and eat the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
westbrook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007 12:53:23 AM »

come one over to the singer slant sewing group and post your problem there, the Singer repair people will be able to help talk you through the problem.

I have never had a problem with my machines, someone didn't fix the problem.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Duck
How to Draw a Dog
How to Draw a Lion
How to Draw an Eagle
How to Draw a Horse
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...