A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool sushi!  (Read 5850 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

detritus
« on: March 27, 2007 09:24:39 PM »

I love fake food. There's just something about the kitsch of such an absolutely useless item that's really appealing. So for my felted object #2 I made a little felted piece of sushi. It's a little over an inch, pretty realistic size. It took me a couple hours and I did it watching TV. I didn't even poke myself this time! ;-)

tutorial here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=160526.msg1643832#msg1643832
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007 12:42:51 PM by GraceOblivious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 01:22:44 AM »

i think all plastic food should be replaced by felt food!! great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexis
dreamer

waist deep

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 01:19:56 PM »

here-here.  Cheesy

that's great work. fake food is kitsch.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tarewyn
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Atticus Finch

Saving my sanity, one crafty day at a time.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007 02:32:37 PM »

I love this!  My boys like to make sushi ( the eatable kind) with their dad, I bet they would get into making it from felt too!

Tarewyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007 11:18:20 PM »

Good colors you've chosen to represent sushi
and I'm impressed you can do needle-felting while watching TV without maiming yourself  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

detritus
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 06:45:22 PM »

LOL, last time I jabbed myself pretty good, so I'm not sure the lack of maiming can be maintained. We'll see. Thanks for the compliments! I can't wait to start making critters...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppylust
Sewist Extreme

how strange it is to be anything at all

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007 02:27:19 PM »

that's hilarious! for some reason i love that it's completely the wrong texture, it makes me quite pleased. fuzzy food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'She was an incredably dull person, but a sensational invitation to make babies.' -Kurt Vonnegut
detritus
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007 04:08:35 PM »

Your comment reminds me of a crochet  pattern I came across somewhere for a moldy cupcake. I think I need to put it on my to-do list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiesdream
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007 11:16:28 PM »

Wink This is so beautifully done. I am so impressed. Do you have tutorial for this? hehe, want to learn from you.. Good job done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
detritus
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007 11:14:31 AM »

Thank you! Here's what I did:

I used merino roving because I like how easy it is to felt (and how nice and soft).

Grab a bunch of white roving and form into a ball shape 2-3 times bigger than you want the sushi to be when it's finished. Take a large needle and just randomly poke it to start the wool felting and get a rough ball. Then start making the sides of the cylinder by poking the ball mostly in the middle (to flatten them out) and going round and round. Focusing on one area too much will probably cause a flat spot. To make the top and bottom, focus exclusively on the middle. Poking the point where the top and sides meet will ruin that nice 90 degree angle. Switch to finer needles when the shape gets close to where to want it, lightly tapping down any areas that need it.

Then the fun part: Pull (or peel) a piece of dark green roving off your stash, something with no thin spots that is roughly the height of your cylinder. This is your nori. Place the middle point of this piece on your cylinder and tack it down. Don't wrap it tightly around the cylinder because wool contracts when felting and you won't have any extra length to use up so the wrapping won't felt very well. Just slowly felt that green wool around your sushi using a fine needle, being careful to maintain a nice clear edge between the white and green wool. Add a little bit more roving if you have any white spots showing.

Add the "filling" by taking tiny bits of pink (tuna), orange (salmon), and light green (cucumber) and lightly rolling them in your hands to form little balls (maybe 1/4 inch). Felt those only the tops and bottoms of your sushi, making sure the top and bottom match and you have a nice round outer edge.

That's it! If you have pink/orange seed beads, you could also do a california roll, with the nori inside the rice (though still just on top and bottom like any of the fillings) and bead on some roe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Corals Makeup Tutorial
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Favorite Lip Colors and Bronzers for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...