A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin  (Read 5669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009 01:50:19 AM »

I just want to add to this and say - a resin board please!!!! I just came here from the The random RESIN question thread which is 117 pages now and impossible to get the information you need from.  It would be great to have a separate board that way you could break down that HUGE thread into stickies - one for molds, one for resin mixing techniques (glitter, sprinkles, color, etc), the list goes on.  Pretty please?   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009 08:36:11 AM »

BADLY NEEDED. . . .a Resin board!

Resin is definitely hot right now (and has been for awhile) and lots of Craftsters are doing it and wanting to try it!  However, those who want to try it, as well as those who just need more info on why something-or-other isn't working well for them, will find it almost impossible to get that information from Craftster at this point.

Currently, there is one humongously-long thread (The Random Resin Thread in Jewelry & Trinkets, which has actually been made into a stickie):
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10667.msg82992#msg82992 (post #1)
That never-ending thread is approx. 120 pages long (and growing daily). 

That's just about the only place at Craftster where info, trouble-shooting, etc, is available for resin, although there are often individual threads for finished resin projects in the Completed Projects board (of Jewelry & Trinkets).  Those threads may also contain some helpful info but they soon sink to the bottom of the list so they're not findable or easily remembered (especially to newbies).

The never-ending thread is really impossible to read through too due to it's length, so most readers who are interested tend to give up pretty quickly (and there's no way to "search" in only one thread, as far as I can tell). 

As for where to put a resin board if we can get one, it would be best for it to have its own main board because resin can be used in so many different ways.   Resin is often used for jewelry in a couple of fun ways but I'm sure Craftsters would be interested in doing some of the other things resin can be used for too if they just knew about them.
If not given its own category, I suppose Resin could be a child board under Jewelry & Trinkets or someplace else findable from the main-page of boards... then we can hope that some of the other uses will be posted there too.

Also, I would also love to see the fact that there are actually two different types of resin that are commonly used by crafters made obvious in the name of the board since the two have to be used differently in some ways that really matter to success.   In my experience, not many crafters (even those who are already successfully using "resin") really understand that they're using only one type, and that different rules can exist for the other type.
So IMO, the ideal name for a "resin" board would be:
RESINS (polyester & epoxy resins) ...or just RESINS (polyester & epoxy)

my 2 cents,
Diane B.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 08:51:57 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
hello color!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009 02:05:45 PM »

I agree with everyone on the necessity of a resin board. Since most projects involving resin are small, they qualify as trinkets - so IMO, a child board under Jewelry & Trinkets is the appropriate location. Of course, that will leave some ambiguity regarding where to post large projects (e.g. this resin-covered bottlecap table top) - but there are always some projects that fall into more than one category, so this small, rare inconvenience outweighs the benefit of having a number of top-level boards that is not overwhelming.

One last point that hasn't yet been explicitly stated: in addition to a completed projects board, there should be a resin discussion board to make it easier to search for common resin-related questions. I think the description of the discussion board should mention moldmaking in addition to resin casting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ledleeaf
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009 07:25:15 PM »

yes yes, resin board please
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009 05:48:03 PM »

Resin board, please.

Not making jewelry or toys or tables or any of the other things I see being discussed here.  I need to make items to use in my job. Then, I might start making jewelry and toys and tables and the other things I see discussed here!

Seriously, a resin board would be most excellent.  That mother-of-all-threads is about to eat someone if it doesn't get its own home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009 08:18:04 AM »

Yes, Yes, Yes!  I would love to see a resin board, or have it as a subcategory... please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kishcrafts
I can make almost anything out of polymer clay! :P

me and Kellan Lutz!

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009 08:47:35 PM »

I would love to see a resin board. that thread is WAY too long
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I still sell my clay crafts...email me if you are interested in ordering something. kishcrafts@gmail.com
staciey
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009 07:47:46 PM »

I would love to see a resin board.
I'm a resin newb and it's hard to find the info I'm looking for in the GIGANTIC thread.
Plus, it would be nice to be able to look at everyone else's resin crafts in one convenient place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsomnia
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009 06:04:50 PM »

... please a resin board.. the thread is soooo long - and impossible to get through..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deeflutterby
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009 06:26:10 PM »

I agree a resin board is definitely needed. I started reading the thread and it was started in 2005! And it is very hard to find the info needed.  It is a very interesting subject and I have sent a few friends here to look at it, but, wow, it is verrrrrrrrrrrry loooooooooooong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Zapp Braniggan
How to Draw Wilma
How to Draw Vicky
How to Draw Velma
How to Draw Vegeta
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...