A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Housewarming for Sister  (Read 1165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dramaqueen0487

Make a Wish....

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2004 11:48:55 AM »

Hey my sister is moving into her first official home by herself.  Does anyone have any ideas for a nice thing I could make her for a housewarming?  I don't really want it to be any thing little like just a candle holder or something I would rather do something a little bit bigger.  Also, she/we are not into the country style... lol... we like the modern, contemperary, retro vibe.  Thanks guys.. I can't wait to hear your suggestions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mreld
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004 08:23:26 AM »

you could always get a big-ish mirror and decorate the frame, like to hang in the foyer or hallway or something.....dunno, that's all i've got atm  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little corner of the internet: http://theknacksofnic.blogspot.com/
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004 08:44:53 AM »

You can make her a record clock. When I moved into my pad I just didnt seem to have enough clocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
Mizbehaving
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004 05:57:10 PM »

I just posted a neat idea over on the umm.. umm.... beads and baubles board?  I think that's what it's called..   It's labeled EZ Bead wrapped servingware. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The voices in my head hate you!
bookgirl
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004 08:04:26 AM »

There's a great clock made out of a tea tin somewhere, let me find the link...  ah.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8024.0

A plain silver tin would be really sleek.  But you could use almost anything.  I found a great tin with a retro print on it (brown and orange and white flowers -- so ugly it's beautiful) at a yard sale this summer that would make a great clock if I needed yet another clock.

Also, napkins and tablecloths and runners, etc., are wonderful.  You can make them, or buy some and customize.  I think there was an idea for a machine washable ultrasuede tablecloth in martha stewart this month which looked really easy and modern.  Here's a similar idea: http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=tvs6900

One of the things I like to give to new homeowners (not crafty, but useful anyway) is a small library of DIY books.  You know, like gardening, basic home repair/maintenance, Heloise's Hints, feng shui, green living, etc.  I have a fantastic old Better Homes & Gardens "Handyman's Guide" that belonged to my father that features Father Knows Best type characters (the dad even smokes a pipe throughout, and the boy helps, while the daughter and mom look on adoringly).  It's both hilarious and useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neater chi
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004 07:13:06 AM »

my sister has just moved into her new flat - inspired by the shrine swap gallery pics, i made her a happy good luck shrine. i don't know how clear the pictures will be but i'll try posting them anyway. basically its a decorated paper mache (pencil case size) box from hobbycraft filled with images and items to bring good luck, happiness and harmony. theres a piece of jade, of tigers eye, a lucky pig, a black cat,a couple of worry dolls, lucky penny, evil eye (good old homemade marble craft!) etc etc. i cut out pics eg chinese 'double happiness', ganesh, hand of fatima, st joseph, shamrocks, horseshoes blah blah blah. importantly i included a cut out of a popping champagne bottle and a cup of tea (home sweet home!). mod podge and acrylic spray sealed the pics. on the outside the red part gives some definitions of happiness...
oh - and thats a little square mirror over 'you're great you are' - just so she can look in and remind herself if feeling down.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Kim Kardashian Look
FIRST LOOK: Alexander Wang – NYFW Spring 2014
4 Must-Do Trends For Homecoming Dresses
How to Pick the Perfect Booties for Fall
Jennifer Lopez October 2013 Cosmo Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...