A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lighted frames.  (Read 898 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xvicious
« on: March 26, 2007 10:34:55 PM »

So, my boyfriend and I are getting a place soon, and are planning on theming our living room like a movie theater.
He has TONS of movie posters that we'll be hanging on the walls.
The only problem we've ran into is lighted frames. They go for about $1500 online, which is rediculous. So, I found some large frames at Walmart, but can't find a way to light them like the ones at the movies. =(
Any ideas??? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<b>xox<i>A</i>.</b>
YourDadsMistress
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007 10:38:20 PM »

Maybe white christmas lights? Haha might not be the nicest looking  but heck its a thought. Or you can get light ropes and see if you like the result of that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xvicious
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007 10:40:18 PM »

He has the light ropes, that he's stringing along the floor.
The only thing is, if they were to go around the frames, there'd be a lot hanging down. =(
I was kind of hoping someone knew of a way to prevent/fix this??
Probably not, though. =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<b>xox<i>A</i>.</b>
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007 10:56:41 PM »

umm.  i know they have battery operated strands of christmas lights.  maybe you can do some kind of shadowbox-like frame with the poster up front and the lights behind in the "box" part of the frame.

alternatively, there are those, like, smaller flourescent lights that you could use in the same type of frame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
xvicious
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007 11:04:47 PM »

that is actually a great idea, esp. if all I can find are the long strands of lights...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<b>xox<i>A</i>.</b>
farmgirljane
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007 11:29:51 PM »

Hi All,

I will try and explain what I do.

I was wanting to make some night lights, will post a pic after it gets dark here. Pics here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=160372.msg1615766#msg1615766 And had this same problem, how to do it. I tried Christmas lights but they where either to long or got to hot (fire risk)for what I had in mind.  After heaps of brainstorming and phone calls this is what I came up with.

Go to Autobahn or similair  ( not sure what you call them in the US) and purchase a neon dash light to the length you require. THey come in different lengths and connect to the cigarette lighter in the car. Pic of what they look like below, this one is onsitu.

This little box is connected to the light and lots of wire inbetween, this box needs to stay on it. I keepthe wire rolled up.

Next go to the electric wholesalers and get a small junction box (two wires in two wires out)and a 12v converter (like a phone charger etc, you could also use something like this as long as it is 12v)

Junction box with wires from light going in (white) and wires from converter going out (black)

The converter

Clip the ends of the neon light (the bit that goes in the lighter) and the converter (the rounded tip end). Cut these fairly close to the ends so that you do not loose any length, they can always be shortened if to long.

Strip the plastic from the wires and screw into the junction box, if at first your light doesn't work then switch around one set of wires to get the correct connection (power off please). Once it is all working use a staple gun and glue to secure components within the frame.

The thing I like about these lights is there soft glow and they come in a range of different colours as well.

Sorry for the long long reply but could show you better with pics than just words alone.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007 12:42:01 AM by farmgirljane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my challenge 31 entry Jeannie's getting married in the morning and don't forget to vote
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 12:01:55 AM »

wow, farmgirljane, that's pretty hardcore.  i'd love to see a finished pic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
teraspawn
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007 03:26:24 AM »

Brilliant idea! You should post this on www.instructables.com - it's very like the things that they put there.

Good crafty work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiemarie
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007 12:27:08 PM »

You could get a track light system at Ikea or something, and then just position the lights over each of the posters.  We did this in my house in my fiance's music studio, and it looks wonderful.  Plus, the lights are halogen so they are very energy efficient. 
--Cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Waffles
Toasted Turkey Sandwich
Super Bowl Sunday Bites: Buffalo Chicken Dip
Truffle Mac and Cheese Is Comfort Food at Its Finest
Gameday Recipes: Easy Beef and Black Bean Chili
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...