A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 316,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: here's the 4111  (Read 4533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinafish
« on: March 26, 2007 06:36:10 PM »

this is my first successful attempt at following a real pattern. i used the oh so famous Built By Wendy 4111 pattern. i loved the cut of the pattern...although it looks a tad bit boxy on me. i may try it again with a lighter fabric. i actually had to cut the pattern twice (i bought two). the first time i cut it at size 8, second time was a 12. the 12 fit perfect...i'm much bigger than i thought. Smiley it's a tad low without the undershirt, but i like the layered look. i added a thinner strap on the back to make it look a little slimmer. i also shortened the sleeves by about 4"-5". the buttons are just sewn on to the front. there was no real need to make button holes because the neck of the shirt is so large as it is.

anyway, here it is:

front view. it's a pink and brown plaid fabric. it's rather thick...

back view. i added my own thinner strap to pull back the sides a tad.

close up. i attached my "fake buttons"...no button holes.  Grin

i thought the elastic under the chest was going to be a LOT harder, but i had no trouble at all!

any suggestions on making the sides slimmer without ripping my shirt off as it sucks to my body....please let me know. maybe a more stretch fabric would do the trick.

thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009 02:05:14 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesa
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007 07:15:17 PM »

I LOVE that shirt...I may have to try it. although I've only ever made one thing from a pattern cause I don't know how to sew very well...or read patterns very well!b Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meginski
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007 07:21:04 PM »

I think it's cute as is! I can't tell from the pictures, but if the piece under the empire waist is separate from the bodice you could try cutting that lower portion on the bias. This would give it some more drape and maybe a little stretch, too, for a slimmer fit. I haven't ever tried this with a pattern, hopefully a more advanced seamtress will correct me if that won't work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meegie
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007 07:54:04 PM »

I really like this pattern.  I've wanted to try it for myself.  And- all sewing patterns tend to be small- Built By Wendy's especially so...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tricia
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007 09:12:13 PM »

I love how your top came out. I just bought this pattern recently and haven't had a chance to make it yet, I need to find the right fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinafish
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 10:50:39 AM »

thanks for your comments! i'm so thrilled that it came out well enough for me to wear! i did a lot of research and read about this top in every built by wendy post on craftster!! i was actually surprised it fit! haha.  Grin i can't wait to start my next piece of clothing. Smiley thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NorthernScum
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 11:10:36 AM »

Wow - love that top! The material is lush! Good job!  I've never made any item of clothing ever, now I have been given a sewing machine it is my plan to start lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally made a wist: http://www.wists.com/NorthernScum
looah77
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007 12:11:41 PM »

Beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderemma
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007 01:59:31 PM »

wow I LOVE the pattern!
About the size...Generally pattern sizes are smaller than normal sizes so its better to measure before cutting out the pattern. I learned the hard way, too.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007 02:04:30 PM »

why is it that i wear a small to medium in shirts normally, but i'm a size 12 in these patterns? i understand that this is the norm...but what sizing standards are they going off of? I've heard from some that they may be using UK sizes? does anyone know?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...