A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another 2 Knitted Bags! I can't stop!  (Read 8170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TPK
Crafty Pirate Wench

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004 12:15:05 PM »

I know, I know, this is the knitting section.  But for crocheters who were having envy issues, this pattern is very easy to adapt to crochet.  My first (crude) attempt:

I will give it to my little niece to play dress-up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geekin' out at the Cosmic Fun Palace
libra

He's so in touch with his innerfish.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004 02:34:04 PM »

This is the most awesome pattern ever.  I don't have to count rows or worry about anything, I just cast on and knit knit knit. When the bag is about as big as I want it to be, I make the second handle. I've made three that follow the pattern (casting on 20 stitches) and then one that I started with 24 stitches (7 on each side of the handle and then a 10 stitch hole for the handle) and came out with a bag that is a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

And getting something done makes me feel so proud and it's seriously easier to make these than a scarf because it takes a lot less patience! Thank you Jane!  The only thing I don't enjoy is stitching up the sides, but that's because I'm using a dumb yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2004 11:57:34 AM »

wow this is why i love this place so much! i beacame an internet addict b/c of craftster. and i just told my band teacher i'm knitting a sweater and he thinks im crazy. he is crazy! lol i love the man but wait till he sees my sweater. he will want me to make him one and i will say no you think i am crazy for knitting! lol, enough! well i cant wait to make this now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
chrispykreme
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004 08:52:05 PM »

Well, I knitted my very first project ever!! A purse none the less! Mine has none of the pretty bells and whistles as did the purses of the thread's author...but I am just so proud to finish something that I am glowing!! Grin

I haven't decided if I am going to line it yet. And I have no clue what I am going to do with a 6" x 12" purse. But that still won't take the joy away.

Although in retrospect...I will not use Sz 8 needles again. Something definately bigger. I need instant satisfaction.

Sorry for the pictures. That's about as good as my camera phone gets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004 10:52:13 PM »

I looove the satin bow trim. There are so many things I want to make!  Argh! Does anyone have any particular tips on lining? That's why I haven't made any purses yet.  The idea of lining them is daunting.  Tongue Greeeat job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitrageous
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2004 01:53:43 PM »

Just found Craftster. I love looking at all of your projects!

The bags are great. How big are they? They look small--like maybe a clubbing bag or something. Also, love the t-shirt scarf. I want to try that. How did you cut the shirts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2004 09:58:22 PM »

So I tried mine out during my vacation and even with the lining i was unhappy w/ the sturdiness. I think maybe a smaller needle next time?  Anyway. Still a cute bag, just can't carry much in it. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004 10:09:23 PM by donutgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JaneyP
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2004 12:38:10 AM »

Just found Craftster. I love looking at all of your projects!

The bags are great. How big are they? They look small--like maybe a clubbing bag or something. Also, love the t-shirt scarf. I want to try that. How did you cut the shirts?
Hi there!
The bags range in size from 7" across to 11". The t shirt I cut in strips just side to side so that every so often there is a sort of square 'tuft' where I have turned to cut the other way.(like a zig zag, stopping about an inch before the edge of the fabric and then starting a new cut going the other way) Hope you can understand that!!!

I use a lot of yarns all together (about 5 or 6 strands of varying thicknesses and some fabric strips sometimes) to knit the bags which when you knit them on big pins comes out nice and chunky and sturdy and knits really quick!

Lining is easy....just make a rectangular pocket (right sides inside) that matches the size of the bag minus the handles, allowing a bit extra to fold over at the top edge. Pop it in the bag, fold the top edge so that it comes to just under the handles and slip stitch it to the bag.
If you want to stitch a label in do that before you stitch the sides of the lining....Dumbo here forgot that the first time I made one!!!

I have a new design nearly finished, a baguette style shoulder bag with flap! I'll post pics if it comes out OK.

Its lovely to see everyone's bags and hear about their projects....thats why I love craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2004 04:39:09 AM »

Those bags are BEAUTIFUL.  You should consider starting an online store, really.  Sells them as patterns.  Seriously, nice job all around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitrageous
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2004 04:51:41 PM »

I think I got it! Now I just have to gather some old t-shirts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Salon-Worthy Blowout You Can Do at Home
How to Curl Short Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Style a Festival Updo for Curly Hair
Sombré: The New Ombré Trend That Looks Gorgeous on Everyone
DIY Pool Hair Remedy
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...