A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bloomington  (Read 4159 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004 10:12:20 PM »

Tuesday nights at the Runcible Spoon on Sixth seem to be where it's at. Well, at least for me and a few others.

We'll try to get the big table if anyone wants to join! Probably 8 or 8:30 would be fine.

I'd love to come out; however, I can't this Tuesday.  Crafting next week?

I don't know about this week as it's Turkey Week and many folks will be out of town, but next week for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
BlueEyedMary
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004 05:59:43 AM »

Hello All, I was wondering if Bloomington has any good thrift stores?(I just went to Broad Ripple yesterday and got a kick ass 50's style dress for formal, but I've never really looked around Bloomington for thrift stores)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God bless the daylight, the sugary smell of springtime, remembering when you were mine in a still suburban town...
CactusFlower
CactusFlower

He's so pretty!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005 03:45:27 PM »

Hello All, I was wondering if Bloomington has any good thrift stores?(I just went to Broad Ripple yesterday and got a kick ass 50's style dress for formal, but I've never really looked around Bloomington for thrift stores)

Sorry this is a very late post. But for thrift stores down town is the main place. My favorite is on Kirkwood, right across from the library. It's called Cactus Flower (and thus my name- I couldn't think of anything at the time) and it's in an old stone building that looks like a church. It has two stories, the first floor is new things that are pretty expensive, but the top is vintage. It has some really cool finds. And there's a goodwill on the West Side inbetween 2nd and 3rd street.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomad
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005 05:53:39 PM »

Does anyone have any tips for a newbie to Bloomington? My husband and I just moved down here about a month ago, and I'm still kind of lost. The only friends I've made so far are a couple of girls at work. Any help would be appreiciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucimama
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005 09:26:42 AM »

Tips for what, nomad?  Restaurants?  Crafty stuff?  Shortcuts  across town to avoid traffic?

I've been here since 1986, when I came here for grad school and decided never to leave. (I realize 1986 is about the time some of you were born! Yes, I'm THAT OLD.)

If you care to ask more specific questions, I'll be happy to give you my suggestions.

And welcome!  (Sorry if the above part seemed snotty:  I've got major PMS today!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrrromit

The eggstraordinary life of Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005 03:24:29 PM »

i've only been here about 4 mos. myself, but i'd like to heartily recommend the Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings. I think it's from about 8-12, really close to downtown. My favorite places to eat so far are the Trojan Horse, Bloomington Bagel, and the Turkuaz Cafe (cheap and yummy - I'm really poor!) I hear Yats is stellar, too, but i haven't been. For thrifting, Cactus Flower, Material Plane, Cherry Canary, and of course, Goodwill and the Salvo. Music pours forth from nearly every doorway and is posted all over the internet and those pillars (perhaps they're called kiosks?) on/near campus. The Recycling Center and the Bloomington Freecycle (Yahoo group) are great places to get rid of things without them going to waste, or occasionally to get things for free. Again, I haven't live here long either - the person who posted just before me will surely be a better source of info -  but I'd love to help in any way I can! Welcome to Bloomington!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maplestory! Windia forever! Hunt me down, I'm MingyDingus! Smiley
QueenOfIndiana
The Queen Returns to Indiana

Someone had to be Queen of this state....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005 04:16:01 PM »

*whispers hello to lucimama*

Grrromit: what are Material Plane and Cherry Canary?!!? Good thrift stores?Huh(*resists temptaiton to drive down now*) I live in Danville, but I come to Bloomington quite a bit (45 minute drive). I made my husband drive down Sunday because it was a beautiful day and I wanted to eat at Snow Lion. Smiley

I've actually never been in Cactus Flower yet, but I know where it is. I was going to go to Lotus Fest tomorrow to see my favorite band in the whole wide world: King Wilkie, but I mistakenly booked myself a gig at Marian College (I DJ). DOH!!! Rachael Davis is a GREAT folk singer, too if any of you visit Lotus Fest this weekend. There are going to be artists there, too. http://www.lotusfest.org/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

@beanblossom on Twitter
grrrromit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005 04:22:16 PM »

Material plane is kinda hard to find, it's not very well marked and you have to go upstairs - basically just a narrow doorway. It's right next door to Athena, on Kirkwood. I forgot what street Cherry Canary is on, but I'll go look and get back to you. I believe that it's owned by the daughter of the woman who owns Material Plane. Could be a vicious rumor. The prices at these 2 places are slightly higher than most thrift stores (Perhaps I should say VINTAGE...) but still cheaper than new retail and they have good taste. Less digging involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenOfIndiana
The Queen Returns to Indiana

Someone had to be Queen of this state....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005 09:56:52 AM »

Thanks grrrromitt. I'll have to look for those stores. I think i've seen Material Plane now that  you mention where it is at.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

@beanblossom on Twitter
grrrromit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005 11:38:26 AM »

OK! Sorry for taking so long, but Cherry Canary is at 214 4th street. If you're coming to the Lotus Festival, it would be a cinch to swing by. Also - I just remembered this one - there's a secondhand store called "Plato's Closet" off of College Mall right next to Hobby Lobby. I believe the road it's on is called Covenanter. Thay have a pretty cool clearance rack!
   You're absolutely welcome, it's my pleasure to help. I've gotten a very warm reception in Bloomington, lots of people have helped me learn my way around - even down to the lady who gave me tips on parallel parking. (Although when I thanked her she stated that she wasn't trying to be nice, she wanted to be sure I didn't hit her car, it WAS very helpful Smiley ). The least I can do is to pass some information on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply a Base Coat for a Werewolf Face
How to Apply a Prosthetic Latex Piece
Finishing the Werewolf Makeup
How to Set the Werewolf Makeup
Face Painting - Tiger Face Details
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...