A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help piecing this dress together??  (Read 6111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 26, 2007 01:30:46 PM »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how to construct this dress, I really really REALLY want it for the summer, but I don't want to waste time and money by messing up... So I was wondering if you guys could help me piece it together? it looks pretty simple, and has no closures, so it's stretchy, what kind of fabric would you use???

there's so many different versions out there... but I like these ones. It all seems pretty easy, but how's the skirt done?? is it a circle skirt? How would you do it??! hehe sorry about all the questions!

If anyone liked the dress it's american, and is called the 'noelle tube dress' a couple of searches on google will bring it up. It's been worn by all sorts too.

thanks a million to anyone who can help Cheesy

Lou xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Muffins_Goes_RAWR
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch.

Glamour is art and I am my own work of art.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007 01:44:41 PM »

A jersey knit or a fabric with some lycra in it would be best.  Although the last pink dress looks like it's a velour. (the stuff used in making those velvet-ish track suits)

The skirt looks like it is a circle skirt.

But one word of caution: If you use a jersey knit (that's what the dresses look like they're made of) be careful when cutting the skirt as they have lots of stretch.

Cirlce skirts are cut mostly on the bias so they will sag and make your skirt look wonky when wearing it even if when you lay it out it looks even.

So before attatching the skirt to the bodice part of the dress, hang it on your closet for a day or two so it can get all the stretching out and that way you know which parts need to be re-cut.

Good luck. They're very nice dresses! ^_^
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007 01:46:14 PM by Muffins_Goes_RAWR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007 06:09:40 PM »

On Paris, it does look like a circle skirt, but elsewhere it looks like it is gathered. Gathered seems easier with this type of fabic.
The measurements really depend on the person.
It seems to have a seam at the bottom of the bust, one at the natural waist, one at where you wear your pants, and one where you want the skirt to start. There is also a band above on the chest. Aswell as the skirt is two pieces.
The best fabric would be a t-shirt knit type fabric with some lycra in it. I've seen it in the Hancock stores, but I can't seem to find it online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007 03:17:36 AM »

thanks for the quick replies Cheesy. do you think maybe the skirt would be done easier the same as the top, but just gathered to give it that effect? I've read up that it's 28inches long (ooh-er). I really want to try this, I'm from the UK so fabric stores are always selling rubbish, I usually pick up some decent stuff suitable for these in the remnants, I'll have a go with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007 10:18:21 AM »

It looks like the bottom is gathered.  In Paris' version she's got two different colored tubes that are pretty substantially gathered.  I would take your bottom band measurement and add at least 1/3 more length to it (I hope I put that right).  Then do the same for the next band. 

You can always use some inexpensive or unattractive fabric for your first try just to get the measurements down.  Then once you get it the way you like it, go for the real thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

washu
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 10:21:11 AM »

They all look gathered to me.  Increase the length of each tier by 30 to 45% or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 12:00:17 PM »

okay.. so looking at the bodice part, It's looking pretty simple... but the skirt... I understand that I gather the top, but do I then gather the bottom ofthe first tier, and then the top of the second tier... or stitch them both together, then gather them... somehow?? I'm so confused!! And so.. do you guys reckon it's one big strip of fabric... for the skirt, or two (front and back...) argh...! thanx x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007 12:12:30 PM »

I would do one big strip of fabric - it's not necessary to piece it otherwise.  You're right on how you would do the skirt, gather the top and leave the bottom edge of the first tier alone, then gather the top edge of the second tier and put in a hem at the bottom of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007 12:27:23 PM »

but then how would I attach the second tier to the first? because once it's gathered it'll really small compared to the first tier.. won't it?

Also, if I just used one big strip of fabric for each tier, where would I put the finished seam? at the back, or one side?

Thanx Cheesy Lou x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007 12:45:14 PM »

Actually you'll need to take the measurements from the first tier and add around 1/3 (or whatever the measurement you're using) of the length to that tier too (just like you did with the first tier and adding it to the skirt body).  If you have a gathering foot on your machine that will help a lot with this dress, if not make sure you distribute your fullness of the gathers evenly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Vanishing Point Tool in Photoshop
How to Import Brushes in Photoshop
How to Create Grey Hair in Photoshop
How to Make Your Model Slimmer in Photoshop
How To Upload HD Video in Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...