A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,640
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Lace Shawl-along  (Read 5392 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007 01:49:07 AM »

My yarn arrived at last, here is a pic (yes, I chose that colourway! I love brights):
http://www.knithappens.net/shop/index.cfm?Product_ID=LOR11&page=details.cfm&cartaction=none&thisrow=4&action=list&criteria=3124&startrow=1&mystartrow=1&maxrows=20&cat=3&man=&stay=&afid=&searchcat_id=&itemprice=&searchfield=&searchman_id=&boolean=OR&var1=&var2=&var3=&return_product_id=&makeid=&modelid=&modelyear=#

It came with a lovely looking pattern for a half circle shawl, but it says to use size 8 (5mm) needles which surprised me a bit considering how thin the yarn is. Will probably get started when I'm back off hols in a couple of weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooncalf
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007 03:22:28 AM »

I started the Forest Canopy Shawl a couple of days ago in Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. I'm really enjoying it and it seems to be going very quickly. It is a simple 4 row repeat which is easy to memorise and the silk yarn is pretty easy to tink when I forget to psso. Becausee I'm not knitting to quite the right gauge I think I might add a few extra rows to the bottom although it is really hard to tell how big it is going to be after blocking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007 08:44:18 PM »

Zero--lovely yarn and great choice!  btw, the needle size is typical for lace knitting.  My pattern calls for 7's. 

I had to modify my pattern a bit to make a pointier tip.  the pattern called for 15 st to be cast on inititally...yuck!  i started with ust 3 and it looks waaaayyyy better.

I would love to see a pic of the forest canopy shawl...the name itself is amazing!  could you hook us up with a link?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittyknitter

Help!!! There are UFO's everywhere in my room!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2007 11:26:06 PM »

Ooo... i'm going to be knitting my lace shawl soon. I'm using Anne Yarn in a foresty color-- check out this post on my blog for the pic and yarn color/fiber info:
http://knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com/2007/05/when-you-sit-back-let-colorway-do-all.html

I plan to knit lace leaves....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 11:27:40 PM by knittyknitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blogger, designer, piano teacher, music composer, singer & mother to 3yr old twins!
>>Blog: www.knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com 
>>Ravelry ID: Knittyknitter
>>Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/652480628149920/#
>>KUAS Podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingupastorm
mooncalf
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007 01:51:52 AM »

The Forest Canopy Shawl is here: http://knittingasfastasican.com/forest-canopy-shoulder-shawl/

Mine turned out a bit too small - barely large enough to use as a scarf really - but I used a completely different yarn and needles size so that is totally my fault. I'd love to make it again in a larger size. It is a simple pattern (I'm a lace-beginner) but really fun and pretty!

It is by the woman who designed the Branching Out scarf. When I've taken a picture of mine I'll post a link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmabelle1191
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2007 12:48:04 PM »

I think I'm going to join! Shocked I haven't really knit much lace yet, and what I have knit I almost messed up, so I'm a little nervous about starting. I am making Kiri, but will make one long strip instead of a triangle because my mom requested it that way. I am using Jaggerspun Zephyr in Sage that I ordered from Sarah's Yarns (my name is Sarah too! Wink). I ordered the cone (all 5,040 yards of it). The yarn is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog-carmabelleknits.blo gspot.com. I love comments!
i_heart_duckies
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007 11:13:06 AM »

I thought I'd join in too.  I just started my shawl yesterday, but having no kids and not being able to work till I get permanent residence here in Canada... well let's just say I have a LOT of time on my hands.  lol

I'm doing the snowdrop pattern too, but I'm making some modifications.  Basically I'm doing a different edging and I'm using misti alpaca laceweight and US size 2 needles. I'm going to have to do more repeats of the snowdrop pattern to get a shawl that's big enough.  Here's what I've got so far (7 snowdrop repeats across)

I put a piece of paper behind where I have it pinned out so you can see the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmabelle1191
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2007 06:36:39 PM »

I'm back again! Cheesy
I found a cool stitch from VK summer/spring '05, and just cast on more stitches for a shawl. Here's what I have so far:

I am using Jaggerspun Zephyr in color Sage double-stranded on size 7 needles. I think it's going well so far, and I really like it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 06:39:32 PM by carmabelle1191 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog-carmabelleknits.blo gspot.com. I love comments!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2007 06:58:12 PM »

Hey, that looks kind of like the dayflower stitch. Sort of.

I can't wait to see the FO, carmabelle1191!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
quiltqueen
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2007 07:05:18 PM »

shawls are so beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Guess in Sudoku
The Scanning Technique in Sudoku
The Double Scanning Technique in Sudoku
Collecting Modern Sports Cards
Collecting Vintage Sports Cards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...