A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Lace Shawl-along  (Read 5406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007 01:49:07 AM »

My yarn arrived at last, here is a pic (yes, I chose that colourway! I love brights):
http://www.knithappens.net/shop/index.cfm?Product_ID=LOR11&page=details.cfm&cartaction=none&thisrow=4&action=list&criteria=3124&startrow=1&mystartrow=1&maxrows=20&cat=3&man=&stay=&afid=&searchcat_id=&itemprice=&searchfield=&searchman_id=&boolean=OR&var1=&var2=&var3=&return_product_id=&makeid=&modelid=&modelyear=#

It came with a lovely looking pattern for a half circle shawl, but it says to use size 8 (5mm) needles which surprised me a bit considering how thin the yarn is. Will probably get started when I'm back off hols in a couple of weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooncalf
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007 03:22:28 AM »

I started the Forest Canopy Shawl a couple of days ago in Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. I'm really enjoying it and it seems to be going very quickly. It is a simple 4 row repeat which is easy to memorise and the silk yarn is pretty easy to tink when I forget to psso. Becausee I'm not knitting to quite the right gauge I think I might add a few extra rows to the bottom although it is really hard to tell how big it is going to be after blocking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007 08:44:18 PM »

Zero--lovely yarn and great choice!  btw, the needle size is typical for lace knitting.  My pattern calls for 7's. 

I had to modify my pattern a bit to make a pointier tip.  the pattern called for 15 st to be cast on inititally...yuck!  i started with ust 3 and it looks waaaayyyy better.

I would love to see a pic of the forest canopy shawl...the name itself is amazing!  could you hook us up with a link?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittyknitter

Help!!! There are UFO's everywhere in my room!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2007 11:26:06 PM »

Ooo... i'm going to be knitting my lace shawl soon. I'm using Anne Yarn in a foresty color-- check out this post on my blog for the pic and yarn color/fiber info:
http://knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com/2007/05/when-you-sit-back-let-colorway-do-all.html

I plan to knit lace leaves....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 11:27:40 PM by knittyknitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blogger, designer, piano teacher, music composer, singer & mother to 3yr old twins!
>>Blog: www.knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com 
>>Ravelry ID: Knittyknitter
>>Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/652480628149920/#
>>KUAS Podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingupastorm
mooncalf
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007 01:51:52 AM »

The Forest Canopy Shawl is here: http://knittingasfastasican.com/forest-canopy-shoulder-shawl/

Mine turned out a bit too small - barely large enough to use as a scarf really - but I used a completely different yarn and needles size so that is totally my fault. I'd love to make it again in a larger size. It is a simple pattern (I'm a lace-beginner) but really fun and pretty!

It is by the woman who designed the Branching Out scarf. When I've taken a picture of mine I'll post a link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmabelle1191
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2007 12:48:04 PM »

I think I'm going to join! Shocked I haven't really knit much lace yet, and what I have knit I almost messed up, so I'm a little nervous about starting. I am making Kiri, but will make one long strip instead of a triangle because my mom requested it that way. I am using Jaggerspun Zephyr in Sage that I ordered from Sarah's Yarns (my name is Sarah too! Wink). I ordered the cone (all 5,040 yards of it). The yarn is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog-carmabelleknits.blo gspot.com. I love comments!
i_heart_duckies
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007 11:13:06 AM »

I thought I'd join in too.  I just started my shawl yesterday, but having no kids and not being able to work till I get permanent residence here in Canada... well let's just say I have a LOT of time on my hands.  lol

I'm doing the snowdrop pattern too, but I'm making some modifications.  Basically I'm doing a different edging and I'm using misti alpaca laceweight and US size 2 needles. I'm going to have to do more repeats of the snowdrop pattern to get a shawl that's big enough.  Here's what I've got so far (7 snowdrop repeats across)

I put a piece of paper behind where I have it pinned out so you can see the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmabelle1191
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2007 06:36:39 PM »

I'm back again! Cheesy
I found a cool stitch from VK summer/spring '05, and just cast on more stitches for a shawl. Here's what I have so far:

I am using Jaggerspun Zephyr in color Sage double-stranded on size 7 needles. I think it's going well so far, and I really like it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 06:39:32 PM by carmabelle1191 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog-carmabelleknits.blo gspot.com. I love comments!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2007 06:58:12 PM »

Hey, that looks kind of like the dayflower stitch. Sort of.

I can't wait to see the FO, carmabelle1191!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
quiltqueen
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2007 07:05:18 PM »

shawls are so beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Suzy Welch Reveals Who She Admires Most
Mark Bittman Reveals His Greatest Achievement
Suzy Welch Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Holly Black Interviews Cassandra Clare
Nina Malkin Talks About Swoon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...