A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: softening acrylic yarn?  (Read 3452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zephren
« on: October 28, 2004 09:30:03 PM »

So this is the dumbest knitting question Ive ever asked....
Long story short a bunch of my friends are vegan, and they all refuse to wear anything made from wool, and slightly protest alpaca, chinchilla & angora.... so when I knit for them they'd just perfer that I use cotton, hemp or acrylic.

So Ive knitted some acrylic scarves, and they all feel a bit stiff to me. Is there any way to perhaps let them sit in the sink with a bit of fabric softner & water.... then lay them out to dry. Would that work?
Ive never had to think about it before, and theres no way Im going to ask my local yarn shop about it.... they are total yarn snobs and would snub me if they knew I secretly used acrylic.  Shocked Ha!
But considering the circumstances, actually I bet my local yarn supplier would actually be willing to help.

Suggestions please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImAKite
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004 09:48:08 PM »

Have you tried running them through the washer and dryer a couple of times?  Seems to help some, in my experience, though it does depend on the yarn itself.  Some very cheap stuff my mom gave me won't soften the least bit (to get even, I'm making something for her with the leftovers) but some others I've noticed a huge improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004 09:50:20 PM »

Im afraid to run it through the washer.... perhaps on the gentle cycle... but Id just perfer to hand wash it honestly. Do you think the dryer softens it? Im afraid it will make the garments get fuzzies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImAKite
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004 09:54:44 PM »

To be honest, I'm not sure which part does it.  I always do both, since most of what I knit with acrylic is given as gifts and I know it will likely be abused anyways.  Which is the reason I use it.  I figure they're going to toss it in the washer and dryer without a second thought, so I may as well do it first to make sure it stands up to it!  I haven't had anything come out too fuzzy, I thought that natural fibers had that problem, not acrylic, though I suppose again, it depends on what exactly you're using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004 09:57:11 PM »

I think that some brands of acrylic will never feel soft while others feel really nice and almost "natural".  I end up using acrylic a lot as it's generally cheaper (sob) and I was recently pleasantly surprised when I started a couple of projects for my nieces in TLC "Essentials" which is just basic worsted weight, but it has a nice feel when you are working with it and it is quite soft knitted up on size 8/5mm needles.  (Keep in mind that the comparison here is the cheap-o Red Heart that I was using for another nephew project)

Another thought is that if you go up one needle size from what was suggested you will get a slightly looser knit, making it softer (in theory)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004 07:40:16 AM »

you should check out Caron "Simply Soft."  also, Lion Brand "Microspun" feels really nice too. i myself have troubles wearing a lot of wool (think red blotchy mayhem), and both of these yarns are really softies.  As far as the fuzzies go, you could knit something up for a test run and see if drying it in one of those mesh bags used for washing/drying delicates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shawnkyr

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004 07:51:34 AM »

Well, I throw acrylic stuff in the washer and dryer, too--I think the last acrylic blanket I washed I did on the "no wrinkle" cycle (my washer doesn't have a "gentle cycle" per se) and dried it on "no heat" (or "low heat"--it's been awhile).  It does soften it up.  Lion Brand's "Pound of Love" is marketed for baby items and as easily washable--I made a baby blanket out of that and it softened up nicely after a wash and dry.  It does get *slightly* fuzzier, but I rather liked it.  

As far as acrylic goes, I like Lion Brand.

And I was also going to suggest trying out washing/drying combos with test swatches, but it seems Kadreath posted that idea while I was still typing!  Wink

Great minds think alike.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004 01:51:28 PM »

I also love the Lion Brand Microspun...veryyyyy soft and nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Lilyvanilli
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004 02:47:14 PM »

You could iron it. Put your iron on the lowest setting and spray it with water so it kind of steams it, just don't leave the iron it for a long time, you just want to lightly slide it over the yarn. It gets really thin, soft, and a little shiny. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zephren
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004 02:55:30 PM »

Are you sure? That sounds like it would melt the acrylic..... Im not sure about this method, Id try it on a swatch before Id go after a whole scarf or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
You Can Rock Designer Fall Fashion Trends For Less
Style Sound-Off: Miley Cyrus, Sofia Vergara, Heidi Klum
4 Tricks to Break in Your Boots
10 Styling Tips for 1 Gray Suit
4 Affordable, Fall Looks For the Office
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...