A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Block(ing) Party, anyone?  (Read 3436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monstergirl
« on: October 28, 2004 09:00:29 PM »

So I'm staring at a pile of finished-but-not-quite knitting (a sweater that needs blocking, some loose ends sewn into a blanket, simple sweater construction...4-5 projects). And I'm realizing that this weekend is probably the last 'free' weekend I'll have for quite a while (looks like I'll finally have an internship for my Master's program). And these projects need to get done (mostly, so I can wear them LOL).

Anyone want to join in, and get those last-little-bits on projects finished up this weekend? Maybe that will give me the gumption to get mine done....!

peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bryonyramsden
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004 11:51:48 AM »

I'll join you on finishing, although mine isn't blocking unless I get that last ball of Kureyon knitted on that scarf.  I am on the sewing of handles to my SnB Charm bag, with Noro Iro, but I hate this kind of bit, so I need someone to push me to do it, while I push them along Cheesy

If I prod you to block, you can prod me to sew handles on!

I'm in danger of starting more projects too, as I bought New Knits by Erika Knight today, and plan on making the net bag.  I also plan on making that Hello Yarn felted bag for a friend for her birthday, finish off a charm bag on the request of my friend and make matching purses with the left over yarn, finish the scarf already mentioned in time for another birthday, frog some yarn to make the punk backpack, knit Pin-up Queen, make a felted bag from yarn that I'm just making up on the needle...  I think I'll stick with the charm bag handles, and the scarf first.

Get to it then, missis!  block the sweater first, then you can sew the loose ends while it dries.  Go on - quick march!

Bryony
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
monstergirl
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004 09:45:14 AM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one with almost-FOs out there....LOL!

Okay, here are my planned projects for the weekend (through Monday, since I go back to school on Tuesday):
(  ) Block cardigan
(  ) Sew cardigan
(  ) Put edging on cardigan
(  ) Sew loose ends on headband
(  ) Block headband
(  ) Sew headband
(  ) Sew catbed
(  ) Sew loose ends on fingerless glove
(  ) Block snowflakes

Yep, that'll about do me for the weekend. Let's see how much I get done (I'd be farther along, but a) I have a cold now, and 2) I had to frog half my glove last night. Hurrah for funky knitting that looks horrid!)

peace
mg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bryonyramsden
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004 01:29:51 AM »

Well, I finished my SnB charm bag yesterday, so that is one down.  I did accidentally go shopping with my mum to the posh lys, and accidentally bought some rowan chunky print for the hello yarn bag, and some Debbie Bliss Maya, cos I just fell in love with it!  And some bargain yarn for a Sirdar pattern I found (one of those lovely chunky but fitted jumpers with big buttoned collars that open up and hang down the front), so I have a feeling that I might be a while finishing off projects!  I already started on the hello yarn bag that will be a birthday gift!  But at least I finished one thing!

Still to do this weekend (which will, judging by the pile of stuff, take the whole week):

Try and finish the birthday scarf
Get at least 3 inches done on my friend's charm bag
Knit as much of the felted bag as possible for another friend's birthday.

Priorities have changed because of having to meet birthday deadlines.  I also have to try and do some studying today - I'm behind after the all day extraveganza for my mum yesterday (it was her birthday too!  they always seem to fall in the same few weeks and make you spend loads of money at once...)

Who knows, one day I might make something for myself again! Wink  I must finish something else this weekend though.

Have you ticked anything of your list yet, MG?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004 07:16:02 AM »

hey gals - I'm going to try to finish this baby sweater that I've been working on today - it's been on the blocking board for a couple of days and it really needs to get taken off and seamed and given a neckband.  Y'all have inspired me to do it!  I will try to post a picture if I succeed in finishing it today.  everything else I'm working on is far from done...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
gloriana
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004 09:40:45 PM »

the baby sweater is all done except that it needs buttons!  I spent three hours seaming and adding a seed stitch neckband and weaving in the endless ends.  does that seem like an absurdly long time?  it looks pretty good, though.  I will post a pic later this week when I get to the store to get the buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monstergirl
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004 12:26:39 PM »

Between my cold and mid-terms, I haven't been able to post to my own thread LOL. Here's my progress so far:

(x) Block cardigan
(  ) Sew cardigan
(  ) Put edging on cardigan
(X) Sew loose ends on headband
(  ) Block headband
(  ) Sew headband
(X) Sew catbed
(X) Sew loose ends on fingerless glove (don't ask about the 2nd glove; it got frogged)
(  ) Block snowflakes

I found that, to properly block the small items (headband, snowflakes), I need: PINS. So until I make it to JoAnn's, those will remain unblocked. And once the water comes on here, I'll block the cardigan.

On a positive note, I did finish the BBBBlanket I've been working on (dupe-stitched the symbol, wove in all the 10,000 ends from that LOL); frogged and re-started a sweater front; knit a swatch for an xmas present; and made (but not assembled) the Boobie Pillow mentioned..somewhere else on Craftster. Oh, and I got an A and B on two of my midterms. Not too shabby.

More to come...
peace
mg

Update @ 5:43pm: I am now blocking the cardigan's sleeves on my bed. The body was blocked earlier. Hopefully to sew it tmw...then, wear it to school on Tuesday! - mg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004 05:43:12 PM by monstergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004 07:12:06 AM »

wow, you're doing better than me, monstergirl!  and with exams, too!  I finished that baby sweater the other day - it now has buttons and everything.  Now I need to do the following on the cardigan I'm currently working on:
1. block sleeves
2. sew raglan seams
3. pick up stitches at neckband and knit collar
4. seam sleeves
5. weave in ends
6. make twisted cord for tie

ack!!  I want to get it done before I go to Chicago next Wed. - think I can do it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bryonyramsden
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004 10:47:17 AM »

I forgot to post my update!  The charm bag for my friend is done, the scarf is done, the felted gift bag for my friend is done, and all the jobs for everyone else are done - hoorah!  I haven't really started on pin up queen yet, but I have started the tab top bag from Felted Knits, and a jumper pattern by Sirdar (a polo neck with a diagonal button opening on the neck - v cosy looking!).  I shouldn't be doing the bags considering how cold it is here at the mo, and while the Sirdar jumper is a chunky knit so won't take too long, I imagine pin up queen will take ages...

Next job?

Sirdar jumper I think
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004 07:45:32 AM »

well, I have progressed on the cardigan - it's almost done! - here's the stats:

(X) block sleeves
(X) sew raglan seams
(X) pick up stitches at neckband and knit collar
(X) seam sleeves
(X) weave in ends
(   ) make twisted cord (and pom poms?) for tie.

I haven't made the twisted cord yet b/c I can't figure it out...  and I'm not sure if I'm going to put pom-poms on the ends of the tie or not.  Will probably do a post this weekend asking the crafsters what y'all think.

In the meantime, of course, I have started another project - an eyelash yarn scarf for my brother's girlfriend for Christmas.  And that's not even mentioning the other sweater I have on the needles which is nowhere near done.

I'd go for the Sirdar jumper too, bryony!  sounds nice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bryonyramsden
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004 03:56:53 AM »

Have you posted any pics yet about the pom poms?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004 12:25:29 PM »

well, I have finished the cardigan - and have got a picture of it with pom-poms.  let me know whatcha think:

I think I like the pom poms - I made them a little smaller than the pattern dictated.  The pattern, just FYI, is "Honey" from the Rowan Ribbon Twist collection.  It's quick to knit and very warm.

Oh, and here is a pic of that baby sweater I was working on last week -

I'm now caught up on my odds and ends of finishing - I finished the eyelash scarf yesterday - thanks, y'all!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monstergirl
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004 02:27:20 PM »

Gloriana:

Those are two gorgeous items! I really like your (adult-sized) cardigan...what yarn did you use for that? It's beautiful!

I now have 1) pins, and 2) a jerry-rigged blocking board for the snowflakes; I'll be stiffening and blocking them tonight. My headband seems to have...disappeared recently. I think one of the cats took it. Argh. On brighter news, I got an A on my third and final midterm, the cat laid in her bed last evening and looked pretty proud about it, and I'm 3/4 done with another sweater (that is not on my to-do list LOL but it's something I can carry with me and do on my commute; can't seam or block things on the train LOL).

Good progess on everyone; hopefully we'll all get done soon!

peace
mg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004 07:15:43 AM »

Thanks, monstergirl!  It's Rowan Ribbon Twist in the "riches" colorway.  I got it on eBay. 

have  you really knit snowflakes??  that sounds cool - did you do it from a pattern?  would love to see pictures when they're done.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bryonyramsden
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004 12:00:20 PM »

I love the pompoms!  Aren't you glad you did those now Smiley And the cardi is very cute Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004 07:30:23 PM »

Thanks, bryony!  I *am* glad I did it with pom poms.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Our 2011 Oscars Winner Picks
Unknown Premiere
John Turturro on Acting Out an Orgasm
John Turturro on Playing Jesus Quintana in The Big Lebowski
Akira Kurosawa and Individualism
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...