A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,596
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Lizard Ridge  (Read 9085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitofrage
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007 09:29:25 AM »

I was thinking maybe a lightweight cotton jersey fabric in a solid color for the lining, but I think flannel is a good idea too.  I'll probably try to match the fabric to whatever color I choose for the crochet border to give it some uniformity.  I'm sure it'll be a huge PIA to do, but I think it would look nice and would be much more functional that way.  I only have two squares done so far, so I'm just conceptualizing at this point.  Wink

Danielle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JAL
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007 01:08:43 PM »

I am also working on a lizard ridge and had never managed to do short rows successfully.  I was pointed to a great explanation of short rows and different techniques for them on the web.  If you are interested go to

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/tips_and_techniques/index.html

and scroll down until you see "Japanese short rows" .  That is the last part of a 3 part posting to Nona's blog on short rows.

Personally, I have found that the Japanese short rows work for me as the safety pins make it easy to find the place where you need to do something to close the gap.

Good luck,

Judy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007 03:46:10 PM »

That's a great link Judy - I bookmarked it because it had so many helpful little tips! Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegazer
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007 04:44:56 PM »

My lizard ridge is going very well. I'm knitting mine in long sections of 14 pattern repeats so that I will have less sewing at the end, and so my Afghan is just a little bit longer than the pattern calls for. (I wanted mine to be more of a bedspread)
The only problem I'm having right now is acquiring Keuryon at my LYS. Ive gone to 2 stores so far that mostly carry dark colorways of the Keuryon. However all the stores Ive been to had a huge selection of Silk Garden.
Id never felt Silk Garden until last week, well after I started my Lizard Ridge. I have to admit it is a lot softer than Keuryon. If I could start over I think Id go with Silk Garden because it is more plentiful, softer and has a little bit of shimmer to it. Oh well, live & learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flaky

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007 06:44:12 PM »

I am a silk garden junkie so I agree!  If you are willing to invest the extra $$, it would be a beautiful heirloom. Maybe someday I'll start a second one - using all one colorway (the version that's knitted in one big block).  I shyed away from that version before because I didn't think I could concentrate long enough to get one row done.

I am getting concerned about the selection issue too.  I am moving in a few weeks & there's only one LYS that I've found in my new town so far - the selection is less than impressive.  I went to my LYS back home and asked to see the color chart.  I wrote down the numbers of the colorways that I like (I can't afford to just buy them all now) and plan to order a few skeins at a time online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegazer
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007 09:07:35 PM »

Most of the time it is less expensive to buy from your LYS. You will save on shipping costs. Oh well, ya gotta do what you gotta do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegazer
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2007 05:31:41 PM »

As promised picts of my progress. The first finished panel is really long so I just sort of bent it over to fit it in the photo.

And here is my kitty Eames testing it out. He definatly approves! Actually he thinks everything I knit is a kitty blanket just for him  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cnp71201
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2007 06:36:46 PM »

Wow, love it! This makes me think of doing this for a scarf... gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
flaky

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2007 09:17:01 PM »

shoegazer - did you use Noro only or did you mix in some other yarns too?  I see a lot of colors that I haven't seen before (is that just my overactive Kureyon-envy?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavieenrose
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007 08:43:34 AM »

I am also working on a lizard ridge and had never managed to do short rows successfully.  I was pointed to a great explanation of short rows and different techniques for them on the web.  If you are interested go to

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/tips_and_techniques/index.html

and scroll down until you see "Japanese short rows" .  That is the last part of a 3 part posting to Nona's blog on short rows.

Personally, I have found that the Japanese short rows work for me as the safety pins make it easy to find the place where you need to do something to close the gap.

Good luck,

Judy

Hi everyone - I just started my lizard ridge and will be adding blocks as budget allows.  Anyway, the yarnover short row has been working out great for this project - it's quick, easy to see where you k2tog and looks invisible.  There's a tut on nona's blog for the yo short row method, too.

Love seeing all these lizard ridges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Callie Khouri: Being a Female Director
Callie Khouri: A Director She Could Trust
Callie Khouri: Female Characters Vs. Role Models
Callie Khouri: An Instant Feminist
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...