A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Lizard Ridge  (Read 9659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007 11:45:01 AM »

Thanks - I like that idea! Or - bracelets!!! I have made some felted bowls that are a little plain, I was thinking I'd sew a few on those too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottygnome
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007 09:06:50 AM »

i am making mine out of two colors of silk garden.  i'm knitting in strips, and i'm missing one more block on the first strip, so it looks all curly in the photo.  i'll take another pic once i've blocked it.

there's also a flickr group for lizard ridge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007 09:37:50 AM »

Love how you shaped it into an "S"!

How long will your finished blanket be? Did you meet gauge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
shoegazer
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007 01:49:01 PM »

I started knitting the afgan, but I had problems on one of the short rows... I forget which one, the second short row I think. I kept coming up short. Do you have any tips on the short rows? Or picking up the yarn where you wrap it in the short rows? I kept missing the spots where you were supposed to K or P them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007 01:55:55 PM »

I've just totally skipped picking up the wraps. It kept messing up my stitch count, and I can't really see them anyways. Wink
I posted two new squares on my blog too. Only 20 to go! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007 04:14:55 PM »

I didn't wrap any of the stitches either. I thought it gave the fabric too much bulk, with very little result- it was fine without.

That's probably the problem that you're having. Try not working the wraps, and if you still have the same problem on that row, detail exactly what you did. ;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
flaky

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007 01:14:30 PM »

I started knitting the afgan, but I had problems on one of the short rows... I forget which one, the second short row I think. I kept coming up short. Do you have any tips on the short rows? Or picking up the yarn where you wrap it in the short rows? I kept missing the spots where you were supposed to K or P them together.
I'm with you - the short rows take a little more concentration than I am used to devoting to a project.  It took me several squares to get the hang of them & now that I have 16 completed, the pattern is starting to sink in.  I wouldn't worry about picking up the wrapped stitch too much. I picked them up on mine, but I know I missed quite a few & you really can't see them.  The explanation for how to do it on Knitty.com isn't particularly helpful.  I have a few other books that I found better instructions - let me know if that's what you are looking for & I'll post the books I used as a reference. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegazer
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007 02:01:39 PM »

Yes, please do post the recommended reading. I get the concept of the short row... I use it when I'm knitting socks, but there was something about the second short row in the pattern that just threw me. Ive put this project aside for awhile due to the frustration, but perhaps after reading the books you reccomend something will click and I can move on through the pattern without difficulty. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flaky

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007 06:23:29 AM »

Sure - "Vouge Knitting:The Ultimate Knitting Book" is extremely helpful.  There's a nice illustration on how to pick up your wrapped stitches.  I found this book to be the best.  The other book that was helpful to me was - The Knitting Answer Book p. 303. 

I really think the Vouge book will be more of a help, but try the other one if you can't get your hands on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegazer
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007 03:35:50 PM »

I casted on for this project (again) today and it went swimingly. I didnt bother with the wraps like you suggested and I had no problems. I love the way the colors are a bit of a surprise as you knit. I will post pics of my first panel soon. (However Im considering just knitting long panels instead of 20 so individual ones)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Polar Bears
How to Draw Fantasy Creatures
How to Draw a Dragon
How to Draw a Leprechaun
How to Use a Pencil for Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...