A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Lizard Ridge  (Read 11280 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShannonC
« on: March 25, 2007 04:18:15 PM »

I'm surprised there hasn't been a KAL for this pattern yet! I started mine a while ago, and I plan to buy two or three skeins every paycheck, so I don't break the bank Wink I have finished three squares, and am working on my fourth. I have a few more skeins waiting to be used as well. I would love to see other people's squares, since they all knit up so differently.

So far, these are my three squares (I've been trying to get better pictures of the colors, and haven't done well. These are close, but the pink on the end square is much brighter, and it also needs to be blocked more)

This shows the color of the middle square much better:

(I need to look through my labels to find the color numbers of each square, I'll edit when I find them).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rorosity
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 04:33:42 PM »

Your progress looks great.  I love that pattern and hope to knit it sometime soon.,,(yeah, add it to my super-duper growing list of things I want to knit)  I have to get through sonm of my other projects first, but I think I will also buy a few skeins at a time, because it could get pricey and you don't have to worry about dye lots or anything.  The owner of one of my LYS's is making this and it looks great.

Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007 07:21:38 AM »

I'm really hot for this pattern too, but I won't be able to do it before my cash flow increases... damn expensive yarn Cheesy Love your squares though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007 01:22:53 PM »

I am working on this blanket too and have about 16 squares done.  I have done the same thing - I buy about 2 skeins at a time & keep track of which  colorways I've used so that I have enough variety.

My problem is this - when I started the project, I guess I was pretty tense.  My first few squares are MUCH smaller than the rest in the batch because I was knitting so tight.  They are at least an inch smaller in each direction, if not smaller.  I am afraid to use them when I sew this together because I don't want it to be all wonky. 

I'll post photos when I get a chance, I am really happy with how most of them are turning out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShannonC
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007 09:34:54 PM »

My problem is this - when I started the project, I guess I was pretty tense.  My first few squares are MUCH smaller than the rest in the batch because I was knitting so tight.  They are at least an inch smaller in each direction, if not smaller.  I am afraid to use them when I sew this together because I don't want it to be all wonky.

I'm a little worried about this as well. One square of mine is quite a bit smaller than the others, I don't know if I was just tense while knitting, or if I managed to grab the wrong sized needles. Hopefully a good blocking will take care of it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 09:02:43 AM »

I've had the hots for this pattern for a while, but being a broke college student, I couldn't afford a blanket full of noro...

So I started the square version of Lizard Ridge with Caron Simply Soft that I had in my "yarn trunk". I planned on making a blanket for the guy about two years ago, before I got the knitting itch- and I wanted to crochet it! I finished half of the blanket and realized that crocheting takes up way too much yarn, and that the blanket's purpose would be better served as chain mail.

So now I have three shades of blue yarn, which I am hoping will give a cool look to this pattern. I am alternating each square with navy blue and either light or medium blue. After the placement of the squares, it should look somewhat like stripes (the navy blue will be striped all across the blanket) with a checkerboard background.

Oh, and I am extending it to be a bigger blanket (8x5 squares, rather than 6x4), since the guy is 6'3". It will be a bit heavier than a comparably sized noro blanket, but about 10 lbs lighter than one crocheted in the same yarn  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
eatyerhartout
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007 12:08:32 PM »

I've had the hots for this pattern for a while, but being a broke college student, I couldn't afford a blanket full of noro...

So I started the square version of Lizard Ridge with Caron Simply Soft that I had in my "yarn trunk". I planned on making a blanket for the guy about two years ago, before I got the knitting itch- and I wanted to crochet it! I finished half of the blanket and realized that crocheting takes up way too much yarn, and that the blanket's purpose would be better served as chain mail.

So now I have three shades of blue yarn, which I am hoping will give a cool look to this pattern. I am alternating each square with navy blue and either light or medium blue. After the placement of the squares, it should look somewhat like stripes (the navy blue will be striped all across the blanket) with a checkerboard background.

Oh, and I am extending it to be a bigger blanket (8x5 squares, rather than 6x4), since the guy is 6'3". It will be a bit heavier than a comparably sized noro blanket, but about 10 lbs lighter than one crocheted in the same yarn  Grin

Wow, that's a great idea. I never thought of subbing the yarn. I haven't started this, but oh how I wanted to! The yarn is just way too expensive for me right now. But I can't wait to see everyone else's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007 07:19:08 AM »

I'd love to see what you've got so far fragolina_picocolina.  I hadn't thought of subbing yarn either - it is expensive but I am so in love with noro I just had to do it.  If I win the lottery, I'll do another one in noro silk garden

I am being very frugal with the noro though.  One of my squares is a bunch of leftover mini-balls of noro & its my favorite one.  Then I used all the trimmings from sewing in my seams to make felted balls.  Don't know what I'll do with those yet but I'm sure something will just cry out to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 10:55:42 AM »

I'll take a picture as soon as I can... my memory card is completely filled, so I have to get a new one first (and seeing as I just bought a car, I'm hoping that someone else will buy the memory card for me   Wink ).

and a correction: I said that the navy blue ran the length of the blanket, but it's actually the medium blue, with the other two as accent colors. Whoops!

I haven't been working on this much- you know how ADD knitting is- but it only needs to be finished by December, as a birthday present.

flaky- I love to make little felted balls for my cat! I usually use fingering weight yarn and size 1 needles, then stuff a little jingle bell (is that what they're really called? Heh!) inside with cotton. They're incredibly durable, and Missy likes 'em because she can sink her teeth into them and carry them about with her. She goes extra crazy for the ones made of alpaca, because they tend to smell like barn animals when she bites into them!  Crazy cat Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 11:06:12 AM by fragolina_piccolina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
jezebel7383
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 11:08:03 AM »

I've started over on this for the 3rd or 4th time. I have a few squares up on my blog. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Apex On Being Saved By Street Art
Lost Vincent Van Gogh Painting Discovered In Safe Deposit Box
Art of VIBE: Street Artist Ders Adds Color To Shoreditch
Art of VIBE: Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada Scales Down For London Wall
What You Need to Know About Brene Browns Groundbreaking E-Course
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...